Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: MIT Invite

Post by Adi1008 »

windu34 wrote:Topic for discussion about upcoming MIT Invite
I didn't want to post this on the official MIT invite page:
Teams in attendance have been posted!
Given the level of the teams attending, it's pretty much nationals in January. Good luck to everybody going there!
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Adi1008 wrote:
Given the level of the teams attending, it's pretty much nationals in January. Good luck to everybody going there!
Looking at the team list and previous Nationals scores:

Top 10 (2015): 4
Top 10 (2013-15): 8
Top 20 (2015): 12
Top 20 (2013-15): 15

I'm not actually certain what to make of these, but it's certainly competitive; I can't think of a more competitive tournament anywhere else in the nation.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Fluorine
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Fluorine »

Unome wrote:
Adi1008 wrote:
Looking at the team list and previous Nationals scores:

Top 10 (2015): 4
Top 10 (2013-15): 8
Top 20 (2015): 12
Top 20 (2013-15): 15

I'm not actually certain what to make of these, but it's certainly competitive; I can't think of a more competitive tournament anywhere else in the nation.
I mean it is wow. I sort of expected a competive line up when the registration closed in such a short time. But it is definitely intimating that the level of the teams competing is high but the challenge is nice to have.
Alumni of FAUHS SO | Logistics Direcotor @ Cornell Scioly
Wind Power, Anatomy, Invasive Species, Materials Science, Optics, Entomology,
 Cell Biology, Fossils, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

14 days til MIT! Excited yet scared. How do you guys think it will compare to last year? (aside from the fact that more teams that regularly attend nationals will be there)?
Any predictions as to top 3 teams?
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
varunscs11
State: PA

Post by varunscs11 »

I predict the Top 3 teams will be Troy, Clements, and Solon. Although I predict LASA, Seven Lakes, Harriton, Fayetteville-Manlius, New Trier, West-Windsor Plainsboro, and Acton-Boxborough to be in the Top 10.
EDIT:
1. Clements--> low turnover from last year. Every member really really wants to make Nationals and without a doubt they have been working relentlessly (destroyed Cyfalls)
2. Solon --> revenge for last year's state. MIT is probably functioning as an early state practice
3. Troy--> beginning of the season for them but they are exceptional regardless
4. LASA--> 3rd place at Nationals last year. 11 medals at Nationals last year and a majority of these events still have one or more of last years people on them.
5. Seven Lakes--> exceptional talent and consistent with their placing at state. Also new people from Beckendorff make the Seven Lakes team even stronger every year. Plus I think Beckendorff's old coach is coaching for Seven Lakes now. This coupled with low turnover means Seven Lakes will be very powerful this year. Their placing will depend on whether they stack A/B or go with last year's scheme of mixing up the teams.
6. Acton-Boxborough--> MA doesn't have very much practice before state and MIT will be an important tournament for them.
7. Fayetteville-Manlius
8. Harriton
9. West-Windsor North--> placed below Harriton and Fayettville because they beat North at Nationals last year and I know for a fact that some of the medalists graduated.
10. New Trier
Last edited by varunscs11 on January 9th, 2016, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liberal Arts and Science Academy 2015-2017
University of Pennsylvania 2021
MIT Rocks and Minerals 2018, Fossils 2019

varunscs11's Userpage
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

1. Troy ---> because I really can't see Solon or LASA beating them this year.
2. LASA ---> because they're good. Even in 2013 & 2014 they were good.
3. Solon ---> consistently does well, not sure what happened last year (didn't look at the scores that much).
4. Fayetteville-Manlius ---> varies between 4th-11th at Nationals for the last 10+ years. 6th-8th in the last four years.
5. Harriton ---> looks like they're back to their usual 5th-10th at Nationals.
6. Seven Lakes ---> not sure whether to put them above Harriton (since I can't find the CyFalls scoresheet online).
7. Acton-Boxborough ---> tough pick, because they might just fall back to the 30s at Nationals this year, but I don't think so.
8. Mentor ---> they're still good this year, although no one outside of Ohio really pays attention to them.
9. West Windsor-Plainsboro North ---> Probably got better after last year's Nationals appearance.
10. Boca Raton ---> they just keep getting better, so they might make it.

Notes: I actually ranked Clements somewhere around 15th, since they seem to rely heavily on the Texas events (I read back in 2013 that this is why Clements does well in-state, but doesn't do that well at Nationals). I have no info on Ward Melville, so I really don't know whether they improved or gotten worse since last year. New Trier seems to have been falling for the last 4 years, so I put them around 15th as well. I actually put Bayard Rustin & Columbia at 11th & 12th, since I also don't know enough about them (also iwonder whatever happened to those CyFalls scores? It's been like 2 months).
varunscs11 wrote:7. West-Windsor North--> did not qualify for Nationals last year and is a consistent Top 20 team at nationals when they qualify.
I think you're talking about the wrong West Windsor-Plainsboro here... South is the frequent Nationals qualifier, while North qualified last year and in 2008.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Adi1008
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

Unome wrote:1. Troy ---> because I really can't see Solon or LASA beating them this year.
3. Solon ---> consistently does well, not sure what happened last year (didn't look at the scores that much).
4. Fayetteville-Manlius ---> varies between 4th-11th at Nationals for the last 10+ years. 6th-8th in the last four years.
6. Seven Lakes ---> not sure whether to put them above Harriton (since I can't find the CyFalls scoresheet online).
7. Acton-Boxborough ---> tough pick, because they might just fall back to the 30s at Nationals this year, but I don't think so.
8. Mentor ---> they're still good this year, although no one outside of Ohio really pays attention to them.
9. West Windsor-Plainsboro North ---> Probably got better after last year's Nationals appearance.

Notes: I actually ranked Clements somewhere around 15th, since they seem to rely heavily on the Texas events (I read back in 2013 that this is why Clements does well in-state, but doesn't do that well at Nationals). I have no info on Ward Melville, so I really don't know whether they improved or gotten worse since last year. New Trier seems to have been falling for the last 4 years, so I put them around 15th as well. I actually put Bayard Rustin & Columbia at 11th & 12th, since I also don't know enough about them (also iwonder whatever happened to those CyFalls scores? It's been like 2 months).
varunscs11 wrote:7. West-Windsor North--> did not qualify for Nationals last year and is a consistent Top 20 team at nationals when they qualify.
I think you're talking about the wrong West Windsor-Plainsboro here... South is the frequent Nationals qualifier, while North qualified last year and in 2008.
I think Clements is much stronger this year. They completely destroyed Seven Lakes at Cy-Falls
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
ptkid
State: TX

Post by ptkid »

I wouldn't necessarily say that Clements destroyed us (Seven Lakes) at CyFalls since their "A" team got first with 142, Seven Lakes "A" got second with 191, Seven Lakes "B" got third with 232, and Clements "B" got 7th with 378 points. Clements has probably been working hard but I'm sure that Clements, LASA, and us will be pretty close at MIT.

My guess is that LASA, Clements, Seven Lakes, Troy, Solon, and Acton-Boxborough will place in the top 6 in some order, granted that all of the oos team's build events travel well. And, @Unome, Clements does well in everything, including state events. In their last year at nats, they placed 14th overall which is quite strong and most people believe they have only gotten better.
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality
varunscs11
State: PA

Post by varunscs11 »

Unome wrote:1. Troy ---> because I really can't see Solon or LASA beating them this year.

Yes you are right. Sorry for the mistake. South is coming to Cornell
Liberal Arts and Science Academy 2015-2017
University of Pennsylvania 2021
MIT Rocks and Minerals 2018, Fossils 2019

varunscs11's Userpage

Return to “2016 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”