EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: MIT Invite

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Maybe it's because I'm older, but it's really not surprising to me to see Seven Lakes beat Clements. Frankly, I'm more impressed that Clements was so close to Seven Lakes at a high-level invite like this, which LASA and Seven Lakes always tend to do well at.

Unome is from Chattahoochee, and it's always nice to see a scioly member's team have an impressively strong showing like this! :)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
ptkid
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ptkid »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:Maybe it's because I'm older, but it's really not surprising to me to see Seven Lakes beat Clements. Frankly, I'm more impressed that Clements was so close to Seven Lakes at a high-level invite like this, which LASA and Seven Lakes always tend to do well at.

Unome is from Chattahoochee, and it's always nice to see a scioly member's team have an impressively strong showing like this! :)
Thank you to all the volunteers and coordinators who made the MIT invitational exceptional. The tests that I took were really amazing. As a Seven Lakes student, I think all the Texas team's performances at MIT are just really indicative of how competitive the Texas State competition really is. I'm not surprised at all that all three teams were within a close range of each other. We had some weather issues with events but we'll (and LASA and Clements) will continue improve. I'm almost sure that whichever teams do end up advancing to nationals will place in the top 10.
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality
kenniky
State: MA

Post by kenniky »

Does anyone know when the pictures will be up? I'm interested in seeing them.
Automated Event Assigner!
UMich 2018: Chem Lab, Fermi

[url=http://tinyurl.com/kenniky-so-test]Rate my tests![/url]
[url]https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Kenniky[/url]

[url=https://scioly.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10008&start=34]2017 Nats = rip[/url]
[url=https://youtu.be/MCo8IAovjfw]ABRHS 2016[/url]
dkarkada

Post by dkarkada »

Who should I contact if my school is missing tests?
JonB
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: FL

Post by JonB »

dkarkada wrote:Who should I contact if my school is missing tests?

I am not sure if any teams got their Protein Modeling exams back. Anyone?

Past that, it might have been mixed in with another school's exams. If you post your team then someone on here might be able to help. Maybe.
Fluorine
State: FL

Post by Fluorine »

JonB wrote:
I am not sure if any teams got their Protein Modeling exams back. Anyone?

Past that, it might have been mixed in with another school's exams. If you post your team then someone on here might be able to help. Maybe.
Yea the protein exam was not included in the packet for us either. I just assumed that for whatever reason they could not distribute them.
dkarkada

Post by dkarkada »

Fluorine wrote:
JonB wrote: I am not sure if any teams got their Protein Modeling exams back. Anyone?

Yea the protein exam was not included in the packet for us either. I just assumed that for whatever reason they could not distribute them.
I see. Thank you for your help!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

winchesetr wrote: Chattahoochee: I'll be real, going into this I'd never heard of them, but I was definitely impressed with their placings
Probably because until now, there was no reason to know our name. The jump reminds me of Acton-Boxborough last year. Before now, we were probably comparable (to me at least :P ) to Wayzata or Hopkins - we could do well in-state, but no one outside of the the area (Southeast US, MN-WI, New England area, etc.) knew who we were - but now we have a shot a top 20 at Nationals.
winchesetr wrote: These results are results are really interesting, not only because of the placement of teams, but because of the grouping of points for those teams.
Agreed, although I would disagree a bit on your specific groupings. I like to make images for this sort of thing:
MIT top 15 results.png
Looking at the image, this is how I would group the teams:
  • Troy, of course, is way ahead of the pack; the point gap between them and second place is similar to that of second to eighth.
  • Solon and Harriton are neck-in-neck, although I'm not sure whether Harriton is using their upperclassmen team.
  • As winchesetr said, LASA is isolated; substantially behind Solon & Harriton, but substantially ahead of the next group.
  • I would put Seven Lakes A, Clements, Mentor A and Chattahoochee A in the next group, since LASA to Seven Lakes A to Chattahoochee A to Mentor B goes 26-21-24 point gaps.
Notes:
1) Troy was ridiculously far ahead, which tells me either Solon and Harriton aren't as good as they were two years ago, or Troy has just gotten way better.
2) As East said, Clements did well, since LASA and Seven Lakes tend to go to more out-of-state invitationals (although the predicted top three placement didn't happen).
3) Mentor was close behind Seven Lakes and Clements despite having split teams; if they had stacked, they probably could have matched or beaten LASA.
4) Chattahoochee has gotten way better, medaling as much as Seven Lakes (although with less firsts and seconds), and beating several teams that placed in the top 20 at Nationals last year.
5) New Trier has continued their trend of getting progressively weaker over the last five years; they lost to Seven Lakes' B team.
6) Whatever happened to the New York teams? Fayetteville-Manlius and Columbia both placed far behind where I expected based on their previous Nationals performances.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Adi1008
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

Congratulations to everybody who competed and thank you to the tournament directors, proctors, and volunteers who helped this be a great tournament! The evnets were generally well run and it was just a great experience overall, especially with the snow at the end of the day on Saturday
SLHS A was missing their Astronomy test (we might also have been missing more, but I'm not sure). Luckily for us, the Clements team had it and were nice enough to give it to us when we met at the airport. Thanks guys :)

Additionally, I also heard some rumors about another team taking Troy's tests, but I'm not sure about the validity of that.
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:Maybe it's because I'm older, but it's really not surprising to me to see Seven Lakes beat Clements. Frankly, I'm more impressed that Clements was so close to Seven Lakes at a high-level invite like this, which LASA and Seven Lakes always tend to do well at.
Clements, LASA, and Seven Lakes are all essentially the same strength right now in my opinion. For instance, in astronomy, the three of us got 6th, 7th, and 8th, and I honestly believe that these three teams are the best Texas has seen in Division C in a long time and it's a shame only two of them will be able to go to nationals. The MIT result was not that surprising to me and it just goes to show how insanely competitive Texas is in Division C.
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:Unome is from Chattahoochee, and it's always nice to see a scioly member's team have an impressively strong showing like this! :)
Chattahoochee was super good. I really think you guys are going to do really well and FSU at nationals this year
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
varunscs11
State: PA

Post by varunscs11 »

Adi1008 wrote:Congratulations to everybody who competed and thank you to the tournament directors, proctors, and volunteers who helped this be a great tournament! The evnets were generally well run and it was just a great experience overall, especially with the snow at the end of the day on Saturday
SLHS A was missing their Astronomy test (we might also have been missing more, but I'm not sure). Luckily for us, the Clements team had it and were nice enough to give it to us when we met at the airport. Thanks guys :)

Additionally, I also heard some rumors about another team taking Troy's tests, but I'm not sure about the validity of that.
Clements, LASA, and Seven Lakes are all essentially the same strength right now in my opinion. For instance, in astronomy, the three of us got 6th, 7th, and 8th, and I honestly believe that these three teams are the best Texas has seen in Division C in a long time and it's a shame only two of them will be able to go to nationals. The MIT result was not that surprising to me and it just goes to show how insanely competitive Texas is in Division C.
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:Unome is from Chattahoochee, and it's always nice to see a scioly member's team have an impressively strong showing like this! :)
Chattahoochee was super good. I really think you guys are going to do really well and FSU at nationals this year
TRUTH! To be honest, I don't think any of the three Texas teams were 100% ready (especially engineering). I don't know if I can say the same for Clements and Seven Lakes but a LASA SciO got seriously started a couple weeks ago. I'm expecting great things from all three Texas teams and I'm pretty confident that the two that make it will be in the Top 10 and potentially the Top 6.
Liberal Arts and Science Academy 2015-2017
University of Pennsylvania 2021
MIT Rocks and Minerals 2018, Fossils 2019

varunscs11's Userpage

Return to “2016 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”