MIT Invite

bonysteak
Member
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: April 25th, 2015, 2:31 pm
Division: C
State: GA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MIT Invite

Post by bonysteak » January 26th, 2016, 5:07 pm

Unome wrote:
bonysteak wrote:
Adi1008 wrote: Chattahoochee was super good. I really think you guys are going to do really well and FSU at nationals this year
Our team has really good people this year. Except I heard that Nationals coincides with our graduation day? So in the event that we get top 2 at state, the seniors won't be able to go. And All-State also coincides with our regional tournament day :/

Oh well. lol :P
Luckily, this is false. Graduation is the week after Nationals. If it were true, we would likely end up at around 30th at Nationals.
windu34 wrote: Nationals has coincided with our schools graduation as well for the last couple years (not exactly sure how far back this goes). Most of our seniors opt to skip graduation and go to nationals.
This is what I would do, and what I would expect from others if it happened (because what use is graduation anyway?).

wait really? Yay

Ok we all know you would skip graduation, because you're ultimate scioly nerd, but I dunno. I know at least one of the seniors on our team would've skipped nationals because they told me personally.
2016 National Tournament Wind Power 3rd place
(・∀・ )

User avatar
samlan16
Member
Member
Posts: 523
Joined: December 30th, 2013, 2:54 pm
Division: Grad
State: TN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: MIT Invite

Post by samlan16 » January 26th, 2016, 7:32 pm

Unome wrote:
windu34 wrote: Nationals has coincided with our schools graduation as well for the last couple years (not exactly sure how far back this goes). Most of our seniors opt to skip graduation and go to nationals.
This is what I would do, and what I would expect from others if it happened (because what use is graduation anyway?).
Did that in 8th grade alongside 7ish of my friends. Turns out that we did not miss much.
Remember, we are proud of every team that participated and you are all winners.

Lampooning
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: January 27th, 2016, 11:53 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MIT Invite

Post by Lampooning » January 27th, 2016, 12:01 pm

" Whatever happened to the New York teams? Fayetteville-Manlius and Columbia both placed far behind where I expected based on their previous Nationals performances."

I wouldn't underestimate the NY teams. Take a look at the pattern of the scores.

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 601
Joined: December 3rd, 2011, 9:45 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 5 times
Contact:

Re: MIT Invite

Post by syo_astro » January 27th, 2016, 5:03 pm

Adi1008 wrote:
arvind_r wrote:I only got an astronomy answer sheet, but not a test packet. Did the same thing happen to everyone else, or is it just me?
Same here. However, I think that the coaches will eventually get an email with a link to a dropbox folder with all the tests and everything that is password protected, so we could see it then.

Also, I think AAVSO will have something in the near future since Donna and Tad (the national event coordinators for astronomy) rand it at MIT and past astronomy tests are put there
AAVSO may not have up some of those tests for this year. I think this has been discussed on the Astronomy topic, so I would recommend checking the direct website for the event on soinc.org just in case.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

User avatar
windu34
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1364
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: MIT Invite

Post by windu34 » January 28th, 2016, 7:56 am

Did anyone recieve raw scores for air trajectory and robot arm?
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Circuit Lab Event Supervisor for 2020: UT Austin (B/C), MIT (C), Solon (C), Princeton (C), Golden Gate (C), Nationals (C)

varunscs11
Member
Member
Posts: 163
Joined: March 14th, 2015, 9:02 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MIT Invite

Post by varunscs11 » January 28th, 2016, 9:34 am

No. I think Green Gen is the only event where the max scores were provided.
Liberal Arts and Science Academy 2015-2017
University of Pennsylvania 2021
MIT Rocks and Minerals 2018, Fossils 2019

varunscs11's Userpage

User avatar
Fluorine
Member
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: March 29th, 2015, 2:29 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Learning to live w/o SO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MIT Invite

Post by Fluorine » January 28th, 2016, 9:54 am

windu34 wrote:Did anyone recieve raw scores for air trajectory and robot arm?
Yea they are missing from the file they sent out. Also the invasive species test answer key only has answer to about 20 questions. While anyone who took that knows there was wayyyy more than 20 on that test.

User avatar
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 383
Joined: March 8th, 2014, 7:10 am
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Ward Melville HD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MIT Invite

Post by Bazinga+ » February 1st, 2016, 3:28 pm

Lampooning wrote:" Whatever happened to the New York teams? Fayetteville-Manlius and Columbia both placed far behind where I expected based on their previous Nationals performances."

I wouldn't underestimate the NY teams. Take a look at the pattern of the scores.
It looks like Fayetteville didn't bring a lot if their tech events, but I'm still quite surprised at how bad Columbia and Fayetteville preformed at MIT (no offense). I kinda wonder how we (Melville) would have preformed there of we didn't get snowed in. We are planning to take the tests as practice, and will try to see how we would have done. Does anyone know if we will be getting the raw tech scores from MIT?
Innovation =/= success

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4250
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: MIT Invite

Post by Unome » February 2nd, 2016, 4:21 am

Bazinga+ wrote:
Lampooning wrote:" Whatever happened to the New York teams? Fayetteville-Manlius and Columbia both placed far behind where I expected based on their previous Nationals performances."

I wouldn't underestimate the NY teams. Take a look at the pattern of the scores.
It looks like Fayetteville didn't bring a lot if their tech events, but I'm still quite surprised at how bad Columbia and Fayetteville preformed at MIT (no offense). I kinda wonder how we (Melville) would have preformed there of we didn't get snowed in. We are planning to take the tests as practice, and will try to see how we would have done. Does anyone know if we will be getting the raw tech scores from MIT?
"We" as in Ward Melville because you had to cancel the trip? I would think so, since you paid the registration fee (was it refunded?), but I'm not sure.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

varunscs11
Member
Member
Posts: 163
Joined: March 14th, 2015, 9:02 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MIT Invite

Post by varunscs11 » February 8th, 2016, 5:48 pm

Does anyone know when pictures from MIT will be posted? (It's been 2 weeks already)
Liberal Arts and Science Academy 2015-2017
University of Pennsylvania 2021
MIT Rocks and Minerals 2018, Fossils 2019

varunscs11's Userpage

Locked

Return to “2016 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest