varunscs11
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Unofficial Rankings C

Post by varunscs11 »

Unome wrote:
primitive_polonium wrote:Texas schools are probably gonna make a comeback (like top 3), and I'm not sure about Solon yet, but pretty sure they're going to be out for blood.

Any event predictions?
Judging by MIT results (where I will discount potential distance issues on the basis that LASA won last year and Troy won this year) I don't think any of the Texas schools will place top five. As for Solon, I'm not making any predictions until we know who's made it out of Ohio.

Event predictions... eh, I'm too lazy to look through scoresheets right now.
I disagree with you. I'm pretty sure there will be one Texas School in the top 5. Both LASA and Harriton went to Cornell and if Harriton was super-stacked they would have only beat LASA by a few points (and this is only because there was a scoring error on Hydrogeology, so LASA would have won). At MIT, LASA and Harriton were 30 points away and that was due to the 40th place in Chem Lab (which was also a mistake because there is no way the people from LASA on Chem Lab got 40th place out 52 teams). And tbh I doubt Solon is going to make it out of Ohio because they haven't been doing amazing in state. Mentor and Centerville are the likely winners.
Liberal Arts and Science Academy 2015-2017
University of Pennsylvania 2021
MIT Rocks and Minerals 2018, Fossils 2019

varunscs11's Userpage
primitivepolonium
State: CA

Post by primitivepolonium »

Yeah, I feel like one of the Texan schools (Clements wasn't at Nats last year?) will get Top 5. MIT was rather early in the season, so LASA (who probably is going to work very hard to go to Nationals, given how competitive Texas is)'s skill level by nationals could be very different. I agree that the MIT chem lab thing is most likely a fluke, since I can personally attest that while that test was 20 pages, most of it was very doable AP topics, and the lab was run-of-the-mill.

Chattahoochee has really improved from prior years, and will likely place in the Top 10 (or at least sweep Trial Events).

As for Solon...It's hard to say (all I know is that I expected them to sweep certain events at MIT, but that didn't happen at all...), since while they've been doing not so hot (IDK exactly what they've been doing, haven't been following their progress), Mentor is a relatively new addition to the Nationals roster. I did hear from an Ohioan friend who knows people from Solon and lives rather close that their Scioly culture took a hit in hype (again, hearsay/debateable, though it could be true) after 2014.
Div D! I really like chem, oceanography, and nail polish--not in that order.

Troy HS, co2016.

Feel free to PM me about SciOly or college or whatever! I really enjoy making online friends.
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

primitive_polonium wrote:Chattahoochee has really improved from prior years, and will likely place in the Top 10 (or at least sweep Trial Events).
Chattahoochee in the top 10? Seems a bit...extreme. Sure, they did better at MIT this year, but where teams stand at MIT is not where they stand at the end of their season. For example, last year following MIT everyone (okay, only some people) thought Troy sucked (relatively speaking here). Yet (as I'm sure you would know), they went on to nail home solid victories at CA states and nats. Meanwhile Solon looked relatively normal with a second place finish at MIT, and ended their season at a lower place than anytime in recent history. Some teams gain momentum, others lose momentum, and Acton-Boxborough keeps it all the way through. Oh, and speaking of Acton-Boxborough; prior to last year, their nats placements had been generally 30-35th (similar to Chattahoochee's 34th last year), and they managed to pull out an amazing leap forward from 33rd the previous year to 11th (translation: wow). However, there some differences between where AB was last year and Chat is this year, the main one being that AB had been to nationals for 5 years before last year, while Chat has been only once previous to this year.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

John Richardsim wrote:
primitive_polonium wrote:Chattahoochee has really improved from prior years, and will likely place in the Top 10 (or at least sweep Trial Events).
Chattahoochee in the top 10? Seems a bit...extreme. Sure, they did better at MIT this year, but where teams stand at MIT is not where they stand at the end of their season. For example, last year following MIT everyone (okay, only some people) thought Troy sucked (relatively speaking here). Yet (as I'm sure you would know), they went on to nail home solid victories at CA states and nats. Meanwhile Solon looked relatively normal with a second place finish at MIT, and ended their season at a lower place than anytime in recent history. Some teams gain momentum, others lose momentum, and Acton-Boxborough keeps it all the way through. Oh, and speaking of Acton-Boxborough; prior to last year, their nats placements had been generally 30-35th (similar to Chattahoochee's 34th last year), and they managed to pull out an amazing leap forward from 33rd the previous year to 11th (translation: wow). However, there some differences between where AB was last year and Chat is this year, the main one being that AB had been to nationals for 5 years before last year, while Chat has been only once previous to this year.
I'm thinking that Chattahoochee will probably place somewhere between 12th and 20th, although I'm leaning towards 16th-18th as most likely.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
kenniky
State: MA

Post by kenniky »

John Richardsim wrote:Some teams gain momentum, others lose momentum, and Acton-Boxborough keeps it all the way through. Oh, and speaking of Acton-Boxborough; prior to last year, their nats placements had been generally 30-35th (similar to Chattahoochee's 34th last year), and they managed to pull out an amazing leap forward from 33rd the previous year to 11th (translation: wow). However, there some differences between where AB was last year and Chat is this year, the main one being that AB had been to nationals for 5 years before last year, while Chat has been only once previous to this year.
woooo ab

I think we'll get a single digit placement this year. I might be being optimistic, but last year Scrambler and Mission Possible got 48th and 50th, and those have been replaced with Electric Vehicle and Robot Arm, which did super well at States (our EV apparently stunned the judges, and our Arm actually got a shoutout by the event runner during the awards ceremony)
Automated Event Assigner!
UMich 2018: Chem Lab, Fermi

[url=http://tinyurl.com/kenniky-so-test]Rate my tests![/url]
[url]https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Kenniky[/url]

[url=https://scioly.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10008&start=34]2017 Nats = rip[/url]
[url=https://youtu.be/MCo8IAovjfw]ABRHS 2016[/url]
alexamezaga1
Division: C
State: FL

Post by alexamezaga1 »

Unome wrote:My predictions so far (top 20 let's go! :ugeek: ):

1. Troy
2. Harriton
3. Mira Loma
4. Mentor
5. Solon
6. LASA
7. Mounds View
8. Grand Haven
9. <TX team 2>
10. Northville
11. WW-P North
12. Columbia High School
13. <PA team 2>
14. Stevenson
15. Acton-Boxborough
16. Chattahoochee
17. Boca Raton
18. Ward Melville
19. Enloe
20. Russell Independent

1. Troy
2. Harriton
3. Mira Loma
4. Mentor
5. Solon
6. LASA
7. Mounds View
8. Grand Haven
9. <TX team 2>
10. Northville
11. WW-P North
12. Columbia High School
13. <PA team 2>
14. Stevenson
15. Acton-Boxborough
16. Boca Raton
17. Chattahoochee
18. Ward Melville
19. Enloe
20. Russell Independent
This seems a bit more realistic
DoctaDave
State: CA

Post by DoctaDave »

alexamezaga1 wrote:

1. Troy
2. Harriton
3. Mira Loma
4. Mentor
5. Solon
6. LASA
7. Mounds View
8. Grand Haven
9. <TX team 2>
10. Northville
11. WW-P North
12. Columbia High School
13. <PA team 2>
14. Stevenson
15. Acton-Boxborough
16. Chattahoochee
17. Boca Raton
18. Ward Melville
19. Enloe
20. Russell Independent

1. Troy
2. Harriton
3. Mira Loma
4. Mentor
5. Solon
6. LASA
7. Mounds View
8. Grand Haven
9. <TX team 2>
10. Northville
11. WW-P North
12. Columbia High School
13. <PA team 2>
14. Stevenson
15. Acton-Boxborough
16. Boca Raton
17. Chattahoochee
18. Ward Melville
19. Enloe
20. Russell Independent
Is there a reason why Harriton is ranked so high? They got 9th last year so a jump to 2nd would surprise me. Have they been doing well at invitationals this year?
Unome

Post by Unome »

DoctaDave wrote:
alexamezaga1 wrote:

1. Troy
2. Harriton
3. Mira Loma
4. Mentor
5. Solon
6. LASA
7. Mounds View
8. Grand Haven
9. <TX team 2>
10. Northville
11. WW-P North
12. Columbia High School
13. <PA team 2>
14. Stevenson
15. Acton-Boxborough
16. Chattahoochee
17. Boca Raton
18. Ward Melville
19. Enloe
20. Russell Independent

1. Troy
2. Harriton
3. Mira Loma
4. Mentor
5. Solon
6. LASA
7. Mounds View
8. Grand Haven
9. <TX team 2>
10. Northville
11. WW-P North
12. Columbia High School
13. <PA team 2>
14. Stevenson
15. Acton-Boxborough
16. Boca Raton
17. Chattahoochee
18. Ward Melville
19. Enloe
20. Russell Independent
Is there a reason why Harriton is ranked so high? They got 9th last year so a jump to 2nd would surprise me. Have they been doing well at invitationals this year?
Actually they got eighth last year, but yeah I ranked them a bit too high. Revised:
1. Troy
2. Mira Loma
3. Mentor
4. Solon
5. Harriton
6. LASA (if they make it; they were 3rd at UT-Austin so...)
7. Mounds View
8. Northville
9. <TX team 2> (lol TX)
10. WW-P North
11. Columbia
12. <PA team 2> (probably Rustin, but I'm not making any bets)
13. Stevenson
14. Acton-Boxborough
15. <MI team 2> (GH lost regionals so idk)
16. Boca Raton
17. Chattahoochee
18. Ward Melville
19. Enloe
20. Russell Independent
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
varunscs11
State: PA

Post by varunscs11 »

Unome wrote:
DoctaDave wrote:
alexamezaga1 wrote:

Actually they got eighth last year, but yeah I ranked them a bit too high. Revised:
1. Troy
2. Mira Loma
3. Mentor
4. Solon
5. Harriton
7. Mounds View
8. Northville
9. <TX team 2> (lol TX)
10. WW-P North
11. Columbia
13. Stevenson
14. Acton-Boxborough
16. Boca Raton
17. Chattahoochee
18. Ward Melville
19. Enloe
20. Russell Independent
Actually this is incorrect. LASA got 2nd at the UT Austin invitational (The tests were way too easy. Way easier than the State Exams (GG was 2 pages long and the top 5 scores scored above 90%)
Liberal Arts and Science Academy 2015-2017
University of Pennsylvania 2021
MIT Rocks and Minerals 2018, Fossils 2019

varunscs11's Userpage
Unome

Post by Unome »

varunscs11 wrote:
Unome wrote:
DoctaDave wrote: Actually they got eighth last year, but yeah I ranked them a bit too high. Revised:
1. Troy
2. Mira Loma
3. Mentor
4. Solon
5. Harriton
7. Mounds View
8. Northville
9. <TX team 2> (lol TX)
10. WW-P North
11. Columbia
13. Stevenson
14. Acton-Boxborough
16. Boca Raton
17. Chattahoochee
18. Ward Melville
19. Enloe
20. Russell Independent
Actually this is incorrect. LASA got 2nd at the UT Austin invitational (The tests were way too easy. Way easier than the State Exams (GG was 2 pages long and the top 5 scores scored above 90%)
Really? I thought they were third when I looked; looks like I was reading it too fast.
Userpage

Return to “2016 Nationals”