EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Unofficial Rankings B

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I definitely think BC should be ranked near 20th, and Springhouse is definitely closer to 10th. The margin between first and second is probably going to be quite high, which indicates that the two PA teams will probably have some margin between them.

In addition, Shady Side never should have been 13th to begin with, so this is more correction for that as opposed to assuming BC would do worse than Shady Side.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Jaol
State: GA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jaol »

So in Texas Beckendorff got 39 pts at state. It's not very competitive, but where do you place them for nats? I would put them around 5th or 6th.
Fanglin
Division: C
State: CA

Post by Fanglin »

I heard Hamilton got a good team this year, and they are home team, last year they got 27th, not the best of their placings, they will probably get top 20.
Adi1008
State: CA

Post by Adi1008 »

Jaol wrote:So in Texas Beckendorff got 39 pts at state. It's not very competitive, but where do you place them for nats? I would put them around 5th or 6th.
They didn't get 39, but rather, 36. Additionally, I heard there were some problems with wind power (I heard that the proctor damaged their device by accident while measuring it?), which they got 7th in (almost certainly would have gotten first otherwise), and WIDI at Texas state has always been inconsistent. The guy who writes for Seven Lakes HS has done WIDI almost every year, and he never medals at state but always (and actually always) has gotten first place at nationals.

Considering this, Beckendorff's true score was likely around 28-32. Truly a dominant performance. I think that while they'll likely be top 3
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
Lampooning

Post by Lampooning »

Eagle Hill at 15th place?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Are people still talking about predictions that I made in mid-March, before most of these state tournaments? Suggestion: make your own predictions list. A 5 weeks old one isn't much use.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
winchesetr

Post by winchesetr »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:I definitely think BC should be ranked near 20th, and Springhouse is definitely closer to 10th. The margin between first and second is probably going to be quite high, which indicates that the two PA teams will probably have some margin between them.
While I agree with you overall (because BC has had less Nationals experience) it is interesting to note that BC only lost to Springhouse by 6 points, so they might do better than people are predicting. I think I'd probably still rank them at 15th or higher place though, just because of past trends and also the fact that this is the 1st time in 6 years that they've gone to Nationals.
I like soup.

Harriton High School Class of 2017

SOUP Disease Detectives 2018-Present
DUSO Disease Detectives 2019-Present
atommot8
State: NC

Post by atommot8 »

Here are my top 10 with a couple of "hints" per say...

1. Solon - still tough to beat, gotten stronger and no "stupid" events like Rotor Egg Drop
2. Beckendorff - did great last year, great at states this year, still a big drop off though from 1st to 2nd
3. Winston Churchill - has preformed very well in invitationals
4. Daniel Wright - little bit of a rebound year for them, haven't seem them but have to assume they jump up a bit
5. Muscatel - done relatively well in invitationals
6. Meads Mill - rebound year for them
7. Piedmont - a bit of a drop off from last year is expected especially looking at performance at Wright St. and States - eliminating Duct Tape Challenge (State only event)
8. Longfellow - bit of a drop off but relatively the same overall
9. Magsig - after missing nationals last year, making it this year I believe will push them to achieve better
10. Marie Murphy - i have no clue... :?:
sciolyFTW_aku
Division: C
State: MO

Post by sciolyFTW_aku »

atommot8 wrote:Here are my top 10 with a couple of "hints" per say...

1. Solon - still tough to beat, gotten stronger and no "stupid" events like Rotor Egg Drop
2. Beckendorff - did great last year, great at states this year, still a big drop off though from 1st to 2nd
3. Winston Churchill - has preformed very well in invitationals
4. Daniel Wright - little bit of a rebound year for them, haven't seem them but have to assume they jump up a bit
5. Muscatel - done relatively well in invitationals
6. Meads Mill - rebound year for them
7. Piedmont - a bit of a drop off from last year is expected especially looking at performance at Wright St. and States - eliminating Duct Tape Challenge (State only event)
8. Longfellow - bit of a drop off but relatively the same overall
9. Magsig - after missing nationals last year, making it this year I believe will push them to achieve better
10. Marie Murphy - i have no clue... :?:
IMO, I think you guys are underestimating Ladue...
B-)
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

winchesetr wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:I definitely think BC should be ranked near 20th, and Springhouse is definitely closer to 10th. The margin between first and second is probably going to be quite high, which indicates that the two PA teams will probably have some margin between them.
While I agree with you overall (because BC has had less Nationals experience) it is interesting to note that BC only lost to Springhouse by 6 points, so they might do better than people are predicting. I think I'd probably still rank them at 15th or higher place though, just because of past trends and also the fact that this is the 1st time in 6 years that they've gone to Nationals.
Yeah this was before the scores came out. Now that they've turned out to be close, I'd probably put Springhouse around 13 and BC around 15 or 16.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Return to “2016 Nationals”