JohnHolbrook
Division: C
State: WV
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Who's Going to Nationals 2016?

Post by JohnHolbrook »

JoJoKeKe wrote:
Haha, join the 50s club, my friend! My team finished 52nd last year ( I think West Virginia invited us to some dorm party or something...). The sad thing is that we've won pretty much every year but have drastic changes in placement each year.

2013 - 52nd
2014 - 43rd
2015 - 52nd :(

I wish you luck! :)
An incident which is now famous (or infamous?) within our team involved a couple of members (not including me, unfortunately) visiting a middle-eastern restaurant in Lincoln at ~2AM the night after the award ceremonies. Probably the same people wanted to hold some sort of dorm party...

But yeah, there were many events for which we were entirely unprepared last year (some of the worst examples: the WS 'plane was 10x the minimum weight and flew for 3 seconds; we were the only team to run out of time in Air Trajectory; our protein model was an indecipherable, compacted sphere of pipe cleaners), so looking at our level of preparation this year I hope we're able to advance somewhat. I've told people we're aiming to be the best ever Div. C team from WV at nationals, which would require beating the 49th place achieved by Tyler Consolidated High School in 1996. Difficult, but I think achievable.
--
John Holbrook
Huntington High School
Huntington, WV
2016 events: Air Trajectory, Game On, Robot Arm, Wright Stuff
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

Agghhh I kinda forgot about this and got really behind; the OP should be up to date now.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
A Person
Division: Grad
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Been thanked: 0

Post by A Person »

JohnHolbrook wrote:
JoJoKeKe wrote:
Haha, join the 50s club, my friend! My team finished 52nd last year ( I think West Virginia invited us to some dorm party or something...). The sad thing is that we've won pretty much every year but have drastic changes in placement each year.

2013 - 52nd
2014 - 43rd
2015 - 52nd :(

I wish you luck! :)
An incident which is now famous (or infamous?) within our team involved a couple of members (not including me, unfortunately) visiting a middle-eastern restaurant in Lincoln at ~2AM the night after the award ceremonies. Probably the same people wanted to hold some sort of dorm party...

But yeah, there were many events for which we were entirely unprepared last year (some of the worst examples: the WS 'plane was 10x the minimum weight and flew for 3 seconds; we were the only team to run out of time in Air Trajectory; our protein model was an indecipherable, compacted sphere of pipe cleaners), so looking at our level of preparation this year I hope we're able to advance somewhat. I've told people we're aiming to be the best ever Div. C team from WV at nationals, which would require beating the 49th place achieved by Tyler Consolidated High School in 1996. Difficult, but I think achievable.
I think around that time we were just wrapping up with a Super Smash Bros party on the fourth floor of the dorms.

Good luck with your goal! I know my school tries to become be best Kentucky record, we got close one year with 20th place, but I think Dupont Manual of Louisville, KY has the best place finish of 19th. Since you guys are still relatively new, I can see Huntington High slowly moving up, as you get to know events more and more and your coach gets accustomed to the competition.

I hope we see you again this year. It's strange, many of the students on the team have been to Huntington High to take the SAT and such, but seeing you all out here in Menomonie, Wisconsin is something else entirely. I'm from Russell High School, by the way.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

Return to “2016 Nationals”