bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Who's Going to Nationals 2016?

Post by bernard »

windu34 wrote:Florida, Boca Raton Community High School, [Air Trajectory, Dynamic Planet, Electric Vehicle, Invasive Species, Robot Arm]
Congratulations, windu34!
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
samlan16
State: GA
Has thanked: 0

Post by samlan16 »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote: Samlan16 coaching Food Science and Crime Busters for Fulton Science Academy, Georgia. Also competing in the new Division C trial event "Fermi Answers."
Ah yes, Fermi Answers. Where they give you the order of magnitude and you have to guess what it describes. Good times.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

Hi, I'm pikachu4919 and I'm coming from Indiana - Carmel High School, and I will definitely be competing in Forensics, Protein Modeling, and Dynamic Planet
Last edited by pikachu4919 on March 22nd, 2016, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
kenniky
State: MA
Been thanked: 0

Post by kenniky »

kenniky
Acton Boxborough Regional High School
Chemistry Lab, Game On, Wind Power, Write It Do It

We're gonna outplace what we got last year. Upwards trend, here we come!
Automated Event Assigner!
UMich 2018: Chem Lab, Fermi

[url=http://tinyurl.com/kenniky-so-test]Rate my tests![/url]
[url]https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Kenniky[/url]

[url=https://scioly.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10008&start=34]2017 Nats = rip[/url]
[url=https://youtu.be/MCo8IAovjfw]ABRHS 2016[/url]
dcrxcode
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IN

Post by dcrxcode »

I'm dcrxcode from Carmel High School in Carmel, Indiana and will be competing in Disease Detectives, Green Generation, Cell Biology, and Astronomy. This is our team's first time attending nats (whoo!) - any tips?
Adi1008
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

dcrxcode wrote:I'm dcrxcode from Carmel High School in Carmel, Indiana and will be competing in Disease Detectives, Green Generation, Cell Biology, and Astronomy. This is our team's first time attending nats (whoo!) - any tips?
I suppose you guys beat Munster then? Congrats!!!1

As cheesy as it sounds, I'd recommend trying to have as much fun as you can at nationals. One thing I regret from last year is that I spent so much time worrying about my events that I didn't get to just wander around UNL or do random things with my friends like I had in the past
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ »

Adi1008 wrote:
dcrxcode wrote:I'm dcrxcode from Carmel High School in Carmel, Indiana and will be competing in Disease Detectives, Green Generation, Cell Biology, and Astronomy. This is our team's first time attending nats (whoo!) - any tips?
I suppose you guys beat Munster then? Congrats!!!1

As cheesy as it sounds, I'd recommend trying to have as much fun as you can at nationals. One thing I regret from last year is that I spent so much time worrying about my events that I didn't get to just wander around UNL or do random things with my friends like I had in the past
A bit hard to have fun at Wisconsin Stout (Not as great as Florida), but who knows.
Last edited by Bazinga+ on April 7th, 2016, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Innovation =/= success
JoJoKeKe
State: ID

Post by JoJoKeKe »

I'm officially attending from St. Joseph's Catholic School in Idaho.

(Events: Fossils, Picture This, Green Generation, Invasive Species)

EDIT: I was actually put into Green Generation opposed to Disease Detectives this year for the national competition. ;)
Last edited by JoJoKeKe on April 7th, 2016, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA
Green Gen: NA / 37
Picture This: 1 / 17
Invasives: 1 / 24

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks - 2
Microbe 2
Ecology 3
Optics 4
Invasives: 1

Events 2019: Herpetology, Fossils, Dynamic Planet, Fermi Questions
P2P
State: IL

Post by P2P »

Hi Everyone...

I go to a school in Illinois and our school places around 5-6 at state every year (which is in 2 weeks). In general, the top 4 teams all hire parents and other adults to help in all events, especially building ones. Is there any way for us to be able to get further this year? Most people on the team don't lack the work effort needed (maybe like an hour a day after school, probably up to 3-4 the week before state), but we always fall down in building events because we get very little help compared to the teams who use parents.
samlan16
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

P2P wrote:Hi Everyone...

I go to a school in Illinois and our school places around 5-6 at state every year (which is in 2 weeks). In general, the top 4 teams all hire parents and other adults to help in all events, especially building ones. Is there any way for us to be able to get further this year? Most people on the team don't lack the work effort needed (maybe like an hour a day after school, probably up to 3-4 the week before state), but we always fall down in building events because we get very little help compared to the teams who use parents.
All I can say is ignore the parents and be an engineer. Build the stuff by yourself; you may learn a thing or two about your events. From the perspective of one who did the aforementioned, you will be a notch above the others in the end, even if you don't get a medal. My team definitely has a lot of helicopter parents, but my builds that I exclusively worked on have ended up to be superior to those built by parents because I know exactly how my devices work. In other words, realize that those students who are not building their own stuff are deprived of an educational experience, and use that fact as motivation to overcome the hardship of learning how to build stuff independently.

As for motivation, get a hype squad together so people will want to go to practice. If your practices are fun (and perhaps with free food?) they will come and work.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.

Return to “2016 Nationals”