National Test Discussion

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: National Test Discussion

Post by chalker »

rycelee wrote:Hey Chalker,

Can you tell me the difference between 3rd place and 1st place in Green Generation Division C? And the difference between 5th and 1st in Hydrogeology C?

Thank you so much!
2 points in both.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
sciolycoach
Coach
Coach
State: WI
Has thanked: 0

Post by sciolycoach »

One thing I've always wondered; if Boyceville HS only has a few hundred students (or so I've heard) how do you manage to fit 100+ teams in the building for the invitational?
Very carefully :) Actually, last year was very tight and that is why we are shrinking a bit next year. We do have around 200 kids in grades 9-12 but our building is 7-12 and that normally holds around 300 kids on an average school day. However, keep in mind that when you include the commons and two gymnasiums (one varsity gym and our MS gymmatorium used to be the varsity gym) and you put a ton of people in those rooms as well (each gym can hold around 1000 people) you can now hold a lot more people. We also use our elementary school for several events (including the flying events where we can use the elementary gym and shut off the ventilation and have a place with less trafic) and have a shuttle that runs between both schools. It does get crowded but our gymmatorium can hold around 1500 for awards so that works well. Last year we split the awards ceremony but we are going to combine them again this year and cap the number of teams at 90 (60 C and 30 B). It is a lot of fun and we try to make a great experience for all of the kids, as there aren't really a lot of invitationals in our area (only two in WI...Boyceville and UW-River Falls, which is hosted by Dr. Earl Blodgett, a BHS alum who still lives in Boyceville) and that helps get a lot of teams to sign up. We are constantly trying to get the best B and C teams from across the nation and run our C tournament in two divisions...one for national-caliber/large schools and another division for smaller schools, as it is really tough for a school like Boyceville with graduating classes of around 50 students to compete with some of the larger national-caliber teams (Mounds View, Menomonie, Munster (IN), New Trier (IL) in the past, etc.) We also have many smaller, local teams, including many new teams, compete and we want them to have some level of success to get student enthusiasm growing and to help their schools grow and develop Science Olympiad teams. That is part of the reason WI has seen such large growth, especially at the Div C level. The 3M grant helped a ton with that this year (thanks Forrest Schultz and others!) and WI C has grown over the past 5-10 years from around 50 teams to nearly 100 this year.
Andy Hamm
Boyceville Science Olympiad
Boyceville, WI
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

Can I see 16th to 6th place in Forensics C? Thanks.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:Can I see 16th to 6th place in Forensics C? Thanks.
43 points

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
JoJoKeKe
Division: C
State: ID
Been thanked: 0

Post by JoJoKeKe »

Is there any chance I could see the difference between 37th and 6th in Green Generation B? Thank you. :)
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA
Green Gen: NA / 37
Picture This: 1 / 17
Invasives: 1 / 24

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks - 2
Microbe 2
Ecology 3
Optics 4
Invasives: 1

Events 2019: Herpetology, Fossils, Dynamic Planet, Fermi Questions
ptabraham_nerd01
Division: C
State: AL
Been thanked: 0

Post by ptabraham_nerd01 »

Hey Chalker,

I got 10th in Anatomy and I was wondering how close was I to medaling and getting 1st?
I also got 15th in Disease and was wondering how close was I to medaling?
I also.. got 19th in Road Scholar and was wondering how close was I to medaling?
I also.... got 18th in Experimental Design and was wondering how close was I to medaling?

Sorry for so many events!!!

Thanks!!!
2019 Interests: Anatomy, Disease Detectives, Fossils, Experimental Design, Geologic Mapping, Designer Genes
Anatomy/Disease/Experimental/Fossils/Circuit Lab:
MIT: 12/25/13/22
Regionals: 1/1/x/x/1
State: 1/1/2/1/x
Nationals:

Return to “2016 Nationals”