National Test Discussion

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: National Test Discussion

Post by chalker »

chalker wrote:
rycelee wrote:Hi, Chalker

Could you tell me the score difference for Experimental Design C between 27th and 6th place. Also, if you could include the score difference between 6th and 1st, that would be great!

Thanks!
13 and 16 points
Slight correction , 16 points was between 27th and 1st. I wasn't paying close enough attention to this.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
unwoundmouse
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by unwoundmouse »

Hi Chalker!
Sorry for another request, but could you tell me the difference between 13th and 6th protein modeling and 6 to 1st?
Thanks in advance!
ChasEpstn
State: PA

Post by ChasEpstn »

For those curious about It's About Time (I saw there were a few):

Test Average: 25.5 out of 50 (Std Dev: 8.9). Only two teams were above 40/50.
Time Average: 41.8 out of 50. Standard Deviation isn't really applicable; it is sharply peaked in the upper 40s.
chess884
Division: C
State: PA

Post by chess884 »

Actually I was curious, thanks! Would you mind putting up the 1st place score?
"It Worked!"
-Robert J Oppenheimer
Sciencegeekgirl

Post by Sciencegeekgirl »

My partners and I did Experimental Design at Nationals this year (Division B). I thought that we followed the rubric really well, but we got in the 20s. I know our experiment was trash, but I didn't think that it affected as that much. I was wondering if there is anything significant that was emphasized when they graded the test? Is there anything my partners and I should focus on for next year?

Also is there anyway I could contact the event supervisor for Division B, I couldn't find the contact email on the National Website.

Thanks in advance.
chalker

Post by chalker »

unwoundmouse wrote:Hi Chalker!
Sorry for another request, but could you tell me the difference between 13th and 6th protein modeling and 6 to 1st?
Thanks in advance!
4 points for both

Student Alumni
chalker

Post by chalker »

Sciencegeekgirl wrote:My partners and I did Experimental Design at Nationals this year (Division B). I thought that we followed the rubric really well, but we got in the 20s. I know our experiment was trash, but I didn't think that it affected as that much. I was wondering if there is anything significant that was emphasized when they graded the test? Is there anything my partners and I should focus on for next year?

Also is there anyway I could contact the event supervisor for Division B, I couldn't find the contact email on the National Website.

Thanks in advance.
It's very unlikely the event supervisor could provide you with any specific info. They didn't retain any of the physical papers, which were all turned in to the SO HQ and are likely disposed of by now.

Via the magic of data analysis, I can tell you are from Fred J. Carnage M.S. and got 24th place. You missed a medal by 12 points, which really could be from any combination of a few minor issues on the rubric.

One thing people tend to forgot is that at Nationals you are competing against 59 other teams, each of which are the best teams in their respective states. EVERYONE is bringing their 'A' game to the tournament, and as a result the slightest minor error can cause your rank to drop lots of places.

Student Alumni
Sciencegeekgirl

Post by Sciencegeekgirl »

chalker wrote:
Sciencegeekgirl wrote:My partners and I did Experimental Design at Nationals this year (Division B). I thought that we followed the rubric really well, but we got in the 20s. I know our experiment was trash, but I didn't think that it affected as that much. I was wondering if there is anything significant that was emphasized when they graded the test? Is there anything my partners and I should focus on for next year?

Thanks in advance.
It's very unlikely the event supervisor could provide you with any specific info. They didn't retain any of the physical papers, which were all turned in to the SO HQ and are likely disposed of by now.

Via the magic of data analysis, I can tell you are from Fred J. Carnage M.S. and got 24th place. You missed a medal by 12 points, which really could be from any combination of a few minor issues on the rubric.

One thing people tend to forgot is that at Nationals you are competing against 59 other teams, each of which are the best teams in their respective states. EVERYONE is bringing their 'A' game to the tournament, and as a result the slightest minor error can cause your rank to drop lots of places.
I'm a little bit creeped out that you figured out my school, but I appreciated the info. Thanks!
chalker

Post by chalker »

Sciencegeekgirl wrote: I'm a little bit creeped out that you figured out my school, but I appreciated the info. Thanks!
This is a good lesson for everyone... it's really hard to truly stay anonymous online. It was pretty simple since you've only had a handful of posts on SciOly in 4 specific event threads (where you indicated you'd be competing at Nationals). You narrowed it down for me to just a handful of possible teams by saying your general placement in Experimental Design, and I just had to cross check a few of those team names with the other events data I have to come up with your school name.

Student Alumni
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Sciencegeekgirl wrote: I'm a little bit creeped out that you figured out my school, but I appreciated the info. Thanks!
Lol get used to it, it happens a lot on here. Everyone means well. I'm guilty of doing this too sometimes
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage

Return to “2016 Nationals”