Invasive Species B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
Jaol
Member
Member
Posts: 270
Joined: September 21st, 2014, 8:00 am
Division: C
State: GA
Location: Ronald
Contact:

Invasive Species B/C

Postby Jaol » August 30th, 2015, 5:58 pm

Let's start this up again!!!
Whoever gets to this first can post, because as of now I can't add attachments...
Yay for 2016 season!
Countdown: 66 Days

User avatar
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 578
Joined: October 7th, 2014, 3:03 pm
Division: Grad
State: MA
Location: No idea, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species Question Marathon

Postby Magikarpmaster629 » August 30th, 2015, 6:01 pm

Jaol wrote:Let's start this up again!!!
Whoever gets to this first can post, because as of now I can't add attachments...
Yay for 2016 season!

Can we get a mod to re-title this topic "Invasive Species B/C"?

EDIT: Thank you

I'll start this easy, then:
Image

1. Identify its genus, species, and common name
2. Where did it come from, and where in the US is it invasive to?
3. What measures have been taken to control it?
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.

User avatar
pikachu4919
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 558
Joined: December 7th, 2012, 2:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Location: West [Favorite Fightin' Frenchman!]
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species Question Marathon

Postby pikachu4919 » August 30th, 2015, 6:57 pm

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
Jaol wrote:Let's start this up again!!!
Whoever gets to this first can post, because as of now I can't add attachments...
Yay for 2016 season!

Can we get a mod to re-title this topic "Invasive Species B/C"?

EDIT: Thank you

I'll start this easy, then:
Image

1. Identify its genus, species, and common name
2. Where did it come from, and where in the US is it invasive to?
3. What measures have been taken to control it?


Ah....
1. Pueraria montana, Kudzu
2. Came from Asia, invasive to particularly the southeastern U.S.
3. herbicides, burning, mowing, grazing (bringing in leaf-eating beetles is apparently unsafe)
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics


Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

Purdue WL SciOly Exec Board
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~scienceo/index.html
https://www.facebook.com/purduescioly

pikachu4919's Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 578
Joined: October 7th, 2014, 3:03 pm
Division: Grad
State: MA
Location: No idea, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Magikarpmaster629 » August 30th, 2015, 7:11 pm

Yep, your turn
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.

User avatar
pikachu4919
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 558
Joined: December 7th, 2012, 2:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Location: West [Favorite Fightin' Frenchman!]
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby pikachu4919 » September 3rd, 2015, 5:43 pm

Ah, #tbt to the good ol' Forestry days...

Image

Identify the following:
1. Scientific Name
2. The most common nickname for it
3. Where it's from
4. Three native trees one could possibly mistake it for
5. Why it's considered invasive
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics


Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

Purdue WL SciOly Exec Board
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~scienceo/index.html
https://www.facebook.com/purduescioly

pikachu4919's Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
Fluorine
Member
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: March 29th, 2015, 2:29 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Learning to live w/o SO
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Fluorine » September 3rd, 2015, 6:04 pm

pikachu4919 wrote:Ah, #tbt to the good ol' Forestry days...

Image

Identify the following:
1. Scientific Name
2. The most common nickname for it
3. Where it's from
4. Three native trees one could possibly mistake it for
5. Why it's considered invasive


Here you go!
1. Alianthus altissima
2. Tree-of Heaven
3. Northeast and central China as well as Taiwan
4. (No clue)
5.Vigorous growing tree and prolific seeder that creates dense monocultures that displace native species. (Note: can also be considered allelopathic)
Last edited by Fluorine on September 5th, 2015, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alumni of FAUHS SO | Logistics Direcotor @ Cornell Scioly

Past Events
Wind Power, Anatomy, Invasive Species, Materials Science, Optics, Entomology,
Cell Biology, Fossils, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling

User avatar
pikachu4919
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 558
Joined: December 7th, 2012, 2:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Location: West [Favorite Fightin' Frenchman!]
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby pikachu4919 » September 5th, 2015, 4:21 pm

Fluorine wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:Ah, #tbt to the good ol' Forestry days...

Image

Identify the following:
1. Scientific Name
2. The most common nickname for it
3. Where it's from
4. Three native trees one could possibly mistake it for
5. Why it's considered invasive


Here you go!
1. Alianthus altissima
2. Tree-of Heaven
3. Northeast and central China as well as Taiwan
4. (No clue) :roll:
5.Vigorous growing tree and prolific seeder that creates dense monocultures that displace native species. (Note: can also be considered allelopathic)


Answer #4?...hmm K
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics


Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

Purdue WL SciOly Exec Board
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~scienceo/index.html
https://www.facebook.com/purduescioly

pikachu4919's Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
Fluorine
Member
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: March 29th, 2015, 2:29 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Learning to live w/o SO
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Fluorine » September 5th, 2015, 4:57 pm

I could just google it, but I prefer to admit that you stumped me.

User avatar
pikachu4919
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 558
Joined: December 7th, 2012, 2:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Location: West [Favorite Fightin' Frenchman!]
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby pikachu4919 » September 6th, 2015, 4:36 pm

Fluorine wrote:I could just google it, but I prefer to admit that you stumped me.


*sigh* alright.
Answer
some include sumac, ash, black walnut, and hickory


But go ahead and post the next one! ;)
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics


Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

Purdue WL SciOly Exec Board
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~scienceo/index.html
https://www.facebook.com/purduescioly

pikachu4919's Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
Fluorine
Member
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: March 29th, 2015, 2:29 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Learning to live w/o SO
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Fluorine » September 6th, 2015, 6:26 pm

Okay here is one
scioly 4.PNG
scioly 4.PNG (132.58 KiB) Viewed 4476 times


1. Common and scientific name
2. Indigenous to what area?
3. What does this organism consume in large amounts?
4. Impacts of this species on an aquatic environment?
5. Possible control methods
Alumni of FAUHS SO | Logistics Direcotor @ Cornell Scioly

Past Events
Wind Power, Anatomy, Invasive Species, Materials Science, Optics, Entomology,
Cell Biology, Fossils, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling

Jaol
Member
Member
Posts: 270
Joined: September 21st, 2014, 8:00 am
Division: C
State: GA
Location: Ronald
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Jaol » September 7th, 2015, 8:39 am

Fluorine wrote:
Okay here is one
scioly 4.PNG


1. Common and scientific name
2. Indigenous to what area?
3. What does this organism consume in large amounts?
4. Impacts of this species on an aquatic environment?
5. Possible control methods


Here
1. Quagga Mussel (Dressena bugensis)
2. Ukraine
3. Ummm plankton etc?
4. Outcompeting aquatic life and they prove as hazards.
5. Chlorination, sonic vibrattion, electric currents, dessiccation, molluscides, oxygen deprivation, antifouling coatings, radiation, and thermal treatment
Countdown: 66 Days

Jaol
Member
Member
Posts: 270
Joined: September 21st, 2014, 8:00 am
Division: C
State: GA
Location: Ronald
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Jaol » September 7th, 2015, 8:39 am

Fluorine wrote:
Okay here is one
scioly 4.PNG


1. Common and scientific name
2. Indigenous to what area?
3. What does this organism consume in large amounts?
4. Impacts of this species on an aquatic environment?
5. Possible control methods


Here
1. Quagga Mussel (Dressena bugensis)
2. Ukraine
3. Ummm plankton etc?
4. Outcompeting aquatic life and they prove as hazards.
5. Chlorination, sonic vibrattion, electric currents, dessiccation, molluscides, oxygen deprivation, antifouling coatings, radiation, and thermal treatment
Countdown: 66 Days

User avatar
Fluorine
Member
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: March 29th, 2015, 2:29 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Learning to live w/o SO
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Fluorine » September 7th, 2015, 9:40 am

All good. Besides the double post haha.. .. your turn!

Jaol
Member
Member
Posts: 270
Joined: September 21st, 2014, 8:00 am
Division: C
State: GA
Location: Ronald
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Jaol » September 7th, 2015, 9:53 am

How... I didn't even notice...
images.jpg
images.jpg (11.08 KiB) Viewed 4436 times

1. Common and Scientific name
2. Two alternate names
3. 3 native and introduced countries
4. Controlling methods
5. Method of dispersion
Countdown: 66 Days

User avatar
Fluorine
Member
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: March 29th, 2015, 2:29 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Learning to live w/o SO
Contact:

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Postby Fluorine » September 7th, 2015, 10:27 am

Jaol wrote:
How... I didn't even notice...
images.jpg

1. Common and Scientific name
2. Two alternate names
3. 3 native and introduced countries
4. Controlling methods
5. Method of dispersion


Answer!
1. Downy Brome (Bromus tectorum)
2. Drooping brome or cheat grass
3. Native: Europe, Southwestern Asia and Northen Africa (if you want countries just pick from those geographic locations [ Turkey, Iran, Egypt] (I hope that is right?)
Introduced: US, Iceland, New Zeland
4. Herbicides - Amber®, Beyond™, Far-Go®. Or fire burning, however there is a risk of soil erosion.
5. Uses seeds which can spread in hay, combines and grain trucks.


Return to “2016 Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests