Cell Biology C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
Uber
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cell Biology C

Post by Uber »

finagle29 wrote:
Uber wrote:Why glycine often the most evolutionary conserved amino acid? (One hypothesis)
It's because glycine is the simplest possible amino acid, having just an atom of hydrogen as its side chain?
It was part of what I was looking for.
Because glycine only has an atom of hydrogen for the side chain, it can form many more unusual bonds angles that other amino acids cannot (See its Ramachandran plot). Because of its uniqueness, any other amino acids mutated in will likely destabilize the protein, and not be selected.
Your turn!

Edit: This is kinda more protein than cell bio :mrgreen:
Harvard '22
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '18
finagle29
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by finagle29 »

How does receptor-mediated endocytosis differ from pinocytosis?
Bayard Rustin HS Alum

2013 Events: Thermo, Circuit Lab, Experiment, Robot Arm
2014 Events: Circuit Lab, Experiment, TPS, Mat Sci, Astro
2015 Events: Astro, Chem Lab, Compound Machines, Experiment, Time, TPS
2016 Events: Astro, Cell Bio, Chem Lab, Electric Vehicle, Time, Protein Modeling, Wind Power
Uber

Post by Uber »

finagle29 wrote:How does receptor-mediated endocytosis differ from pinocytosis?
Receptor-mediated endocytosis is triggered by ligands binding to a receptor, triggering endocytosis of both the ligand and receptor. Pinocytosis occurs constantly (not sure about how it triggers) and are nonspecific.
Harvard '22
finagle29
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by finagle29 »

Uber wrote:
finagle29 wrote:How does receptor-mediated endocytosis differ from pinocytosis?
Receptor-mediated endocytosis is triggered by ligands binding to a receptor, triggering endocytosis of both the ligand and receptor. Pinocytosis occurs constantly (not sure about how it triggers) and are nonspecific.
Correct! Your turn.
Bayard Rustin HS Alum

2016 Events: Astro, Cell Bio, Chem Lab, Electric Vehicle, Time, Protein Modeling, Wind Power
Uber

Post by Uber »

1. Three types of vesicles. What are each used for?
2. Two types of SNARE proteins. Describe their function in vesicle trafficking. What does SNARE stand for?
3. What is hemifusion?
4. Why don't cells get smaller with continuous endocytosis? What is the name of this system?
Harvard '22
asthedeer
State: MD

Post by asthedeer »

Uber wrote:1. Three types of vesicles. What are each used for?
2. Two types of SNARE proteins. Describe their function in vesicle trafficking. What does SNARE stand for?
3. What is hemifusion?
4. Why don't cells get smaller with continuous endocytosis? What is the name of this system?
Hmmph. So I had answered this, but then I took such a long time that SciOly.org logged me out....but I'm back to answer these. :D

1. Three types of vesicles are vacuoles, which are used to regulate pressure and water levels in a cell (maintain homeostasis), lysosomes, which contain enzymes to digest stuff, and transport vesicles, which transport stuff.

2. Two types of SNARE proteins are Vesicle or v-SNAREs and Target or t-SNAREs. SNAREs identify the vesicle’s cargo and complementary SNAREs act to cause the fusion of the vesicle and target membrane during vesicle docking.SNARE stands for Soluble NSF Attachment Protein Receptor.

3. Hemifusion is partial fusion during lipid bilayer fusion.

4. Cells don't get smaller with continuous endocytosis (exocytosis?), because (I'm really just guessing at this point, idk) they also perform exocytosis at the same time....? No idea, haha!
Pilgrimage Homeschool Science Olympiad 2017!!!
Anatomy, ExD, Rocks and Minerals, Helicopters.

Check out my blog!
rockandminerals4him.wordpress.com

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
~God, Jeremiah 29:11
Uber

Post by Uber »

asthedeer wrote: Hmmph. So I had answered this, but then I took such a long time that SciOly.org logged me out....but I'm back to answer these. :D

1. Three types of vesicles are vacuoles, which are used to regulate pressure and water levels in a cell (maintain homeostasis), lysosomes, which contain enzymes to digest stuff, and transport vesicles, which transport stuff.

2. Two types of SNARE proteins are Vesicle or v-SNAREs and Target or t-SNAREs. SNAREs identify the vesicle’s cargo and complementary SNAREs act to cause the fusion of the vesicle and target membrane during vesicle docking.SNARE stands for Soluble NSF Attachment Protein Receptor.

4. Cells don't get smaller with continuous endocytosis (exocytosis?), because (I'm really just guessing at this point, idk) they also perform exocytosis at the same time....? No idea, haha!
Remember to use hide.
4. The idea is right, but the name is endocytotic-exocytotic cycle (not that it matters)
The rest is good! Good job!
Harvard '22
asthedeer
State: MD

Post by asthedeer »

Uber wrote:
asthedeer wrote: Hmmph. So I had answered this, but then I took such a long time that SciOly.org logged me out....but I'm back to answer these. :D

Remember to use hide.
4. The idea is right, but the name is endocytotic-exocytotic cycle (not that it matters)
I'm not sure how to do hide...I tried...but it didn't work. :D

My turn-

Define and give the functions of at least 5 of these organelles-

a. Nucleus
b. Mitochondria
c. Chloroplast
d. Golgi apparatus
e. Rough ER
f. Smooth ER
g. Ribosome
h. Lysosome
i. Cell membrane
j. Vacuoles, any type
Pilgrimage Homeschool Science Olympiad 2017!!!
Anatomy, ExD, Rocks and Minerals, Helicopters.

Check out my blog!
rockandminerals4him.wordpress.com

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
~God, Jeremiah 29:11
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

asthedeer wrote:
Uber wrote:

Remember to use hide.
I'm not sure how to do hide...I tried...but it didn't work. :D

My turn-

Define and give the functions of at least 5 of these organelles-

a. Nucleus
b. Mitochondria
c. Chloroplast
d. Golgi apparatus
e. Rough ER
f. Smooth ER
g. Ribosome
h. Lysosome
i. Cell membrane
j. Vacuoles, any type
Look at bernard's signature :)

You need a | inside the tag; it separates the hidden text (right side of the pipe) and the shown text (left side)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
finagle29
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by finagle29 »

b. Mitochondria - the powerhouse of the cell, the mitochondria is where most of the ATP synthesis occurs in aerobic cells.  Citric acid cycle occurs here along with oxidative phosphorylation to harness the chemical energy stored in pyruvate. 
d. Golgi apparatus - looks like a stack of flattened pancakes, the Golgi apparatus modifies and packages proteins before they are to be secreted or stored in a membrane.  Transport vesicles enter on the cis side of the Golgi from the RER, are modified as they pass through the medial Golgi and exit in a vesicle to be secreted or become a lysosome.
e. Rough ER - a high folded membrane studded with ribosomes, the RER is the site of the synthesis of proteins that are to be secreted
g. Ribosome - small organelle in all cells that assembles polypeptide sequences from mRNA and amino acids
j. Vacuoles, any type - central vacuole is a large vacuole full of water and nutrients that occupies the majority of the volume inside a plant cell, contractile vacuoles collect water in freshwater protists and contract to expel the excess water from the cell, acting as a bilge pump
Bayard Rustin HS Alum

Return to “2016 Question Marathons”