State: TX

Wind Power B/C

Postby robotman » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:44 pm

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Wind Power B/C

Postby chalker » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:47 pm

Since I posted something in Air Trajectory, might as well give a high level overview of changes for Wind Power compared to the rules from several years ago. As always, you need to read the actual rules though to understand all the details:

-Used language similar to the robot events regarding commercial kits / designs requiring functional modifications
-Reduced testing time to 3 minutes total per station
-Students indicate to supervisor when to start the voltage measurement period (with fan already on and blade spinning)
-Max voltage during testing period used for scoring
-Written test topics revised to 5 general areas
-Penalty for stopping turning is now only a 0.8 multiplication factor

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

joiemoie
Division: C
State: MA

Postby joiemoie » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:56 pm

If this is using max voltage rather than max power, this will definitely be a big game changer. Once again, the focus will be on speed then.

retired1
State: FL

Postby retired1 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:18 am

Yes and no. it is (max voltage in the 30 seconds measured) squared and that value divided by the load which is to be between5 and 7.5 ohms. Which is in parallel. Seems to me that it should be series.
There is one run at low wind and one at high wind.
The sum of the high wind value plus the low wind value is divided by the highest overall value which means that it is less than 1.0 for everyone but the best score. This is multiplied by 50
Then there is 50 points from the test to be added. So, the best score will be a bit under 100 points. High score wins.
It is true, that the faster you can get it to rotate, thee higher the voltage will be

chalker

Postby chalker » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:48 am

joiemoie wrote:If this is using max voltage rather than max power, this will definitely be a big game changer. Once again, the focus will be on speed then.

Not really. There is still a resistor in the circuit, and keep in mind the P=V*V/R, thus max power should pretty much occur at the same relative level as max voltage.

Student Alumni

JonB
Coach
Coach

Postby JonB » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:03 pm

In the rules this year (3B) it states that teams cannot modify the CD. Last time this event ran teams could trim down the CD so just the center of the CD is left to attach to the motor and the blades. Does it have to be a FULL, unmodified CD this year? Seems strange to me.

retired1

Postby retired1 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:21 am

Struck me as a bit unusual, but it does tend to make the teams a bit more even since the wind can not blow thru the CD. We cut it out last time also. Ours looked like an old fashioned windmill.
Oh well, another obstacle to overcome.

JonB
Coach
Coach

Postby JonB » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:25 am

retired1 wrote:Struck me as a bit unusual, but it does tend to make the teams a bit more even since the wind can not blow thru the CD. We cut it out last time also. Ours looked like an old fashioned windmill.
Oh well, another obstacle to overcome.

A rather strange obstacle, in my opinion. I think most teams (well, basically all of them) cut down the CD last time. If I remember correctly, the rules last time specifically stated that it could be cut down, but I could be wrong. But hey, something new and different if we are reading the rules correctly.

chalker

Postby chalker » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:18 pm

Yes, that is a change from previous years. It's primarily a safety issue. We had reports / concerns about teams shattering cd's and the resulting shards of plastic causing cuts and such.

Student Alumni

CTMSRoadScholarKING
State: KS

Postby CTMSRoadScholarKING » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:33 pm

So, I was making the Wind Power tutorial thing on soinc.org under the Wind Power section by KidWind, and the PVC in the nacelle says it is supposed to be 3" long, but it won't make a solid piece like it says. So, would it be a typo so that it isn't a 3" piece or did I do something wrong? Thanks for your help and sorry for the long sentence.
Events (St.J, Pembroke, Northland, Regionals)
Herpetology (4,6,4,)
Helicopters (2,5,6,)
Dynamic (NA,NA,NA,)
Overall (1,3,2,)
#tehentocult
#herpsisgoingtokillme

retired1

Postby retired1 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:38 am

It is a piece of pipe so that you can put your motor inside of it by wrapping the motor with tape as required for a snug fit.

Notice that none of this applies to the event as you will be using a stripped down CD player for the motor. The last time that I saw this, they clamped aa case to a ring stand from the chem lab.

Interesting article.

CTMSRoadScholarKING
State: KS

Postby CTMSRoadScholarKING » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:32 pm

retired1 wrote:It is a piece of pipe so that you can put your motor inside of it by wrapping the motor with tape as required for a snug fit.

Notice that none of this applies to the event as you will be using a stripped down CD player for the motor. The last time that I saw this, they clamped aa case to a ring stand from the chem lab.

Interesting article.

So just making sure because I don't know if I understood the rules right, we are not allowed to use a motor?
Events (St.J, Pembroke, Northland, Regionals)
Herpetology (4,6,4,)
Helicopters (2,5,6,)
Dynamic (NA,NA,NA,)
Overall (1,3,2,)
#tehentocult
#herpsisgoingtokillme

samlan16
State: TN

Postby samlan16 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:05 pm

CTMSRoadScholarKING wrote:
retired1 wrote:It is a piece of pipe so that you can put your motor inside of it by wrapping the motor with tape as required for a snug fit.

Interesting article.

So just making sure because I don't know if I understood the rules right, we are not allowed to use a motor?

If I understand correctly, we cannot. We will attach our rotors to a CD drive provided.
Remember, we are proud of every team that participated and you are all winners.

JonB
Coach
Coach

Postby JonB » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:13 pm

samlan16 wrote:
CTMSRoadScholarKING wrote:

Interesting article.

If I understand correctly, we cannot. We will attach our rotors to a CD drive provided.

This is correct. They will provide the testing apparatus which includes the CD mount with the motor already connected to it. You just make it spin.

theoriginalweevil
Division: B
State: CA

Postby theoriginalweevil » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:04 pm

Hi everyone, the last time I checked the wiki, it mentioned (recommended) modifying the cd's size so that it has less drag. On the Wind Power page, "alteration of the CD is a good idea..." But the rules states "modification of the CD Is not allowed, except to affix the blades". This outdated?

Also, any recommended reading for this event?

Many thanks.
:D

Return to “Wind Power B/C”