Wind Power B/C

Locked
kenniky
Member
Member
Posts: 283
Joined: January 21st, 2016, 6:16 pm
Division: Grad
State: MA
Location: ABRHS --> UMichigan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wind Power B/C

Post by kenniky » May 7th, 2016, 7:41 pm

chalker wrote:
fl0w wrote:
kenniky wrote:The side view is more like a top view... I'd suggest rotating the diagram 90 degrees in order to make it make more sense visually, but that's just me.
Going off of this, I'd also suggest renaming it to "Example Assembly Top View". It's almost like a birds eye view, rather than looking at it from the side.
Note that because the blades rotate, the side view and top view are inherently going to be identical.
I meant more like this, below, so that the mounting plane is vertical instead of horizontal

(obviously with rotated text)
Attachments
asdf.png
Automated Event Assigner!
UMich 2018: Chem Lab, Fermi

[url=http://tinyurl.com/kenniky-so-test]Rate my tests![/url]
[url]https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Kenniky[/url]

[url=https://scioly.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10008&start=34]2017 Nats = rip[/url]
[url=https://youtu.be/MCo8IAovjfw]ABRHS 2016[/url]

PHXcoach
Member
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: May 20th, 2013, 10:23 am
Division: B
State: AZ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wind Power B/C

Post by PHXcoach » May 9th, 2016, 9:51 am

chalker wrote:
fl0w wrote:
kenniky wrote:The side view is more like a top view... I'd suggest rotating the diagram 90 degrees in order to make it make more sense visually, but that's just me.
Going off of this, I'd also suggest renaming it to "Example Assembly Top View". It's almost like a birds eye view, rather than looking at it from the side.
Note that because the blades rotate, the side view and top view are inherently going to be identical.
I actually like the top view. Maybe just rename it "Example Assembly Top/Side View" since they are the same (except that I can read the horizontal text more easily)

PHXcoach
Member
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: May 20th, 2013, 10:23 am
Division: B
State: AZ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wind Power B/C

Post by PHXcoach » May 9th, 2016, 9:59 am

One more pedantic suggestion.

Change the text in 4.a from "once with the fan at a high wind speed and once at a low wind speed" to "once with the fan at a low wind speed and once at a high wind speed".

At all events we tested the low speed first, then the high speed. This way if the assembly failed (blades flying off, etc) at high wind speed they could still get a score from the low wind speed test. I understand that the current wording does not require a test order, but it does imply one.

GoldenKnight1
Coach
Coach
Posts: 217
Joined: May 2nd, 2009, 5:02 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Wind Power B/C

Post by GoldenKnight1 » May 9th, 2016, 11:21 am

PHXcoach wrote:One more pedantic suggestion.

Change the text in 4.a from "once with the fan at a high wind speed and once at a low wind speed" to "once with the fan at a low wind speed and once at a high wind speed".

At all events we tested the low speed first, then the high speed. This way if the assembly failed (blades flying off, etc) at high wind speed they could still get a score from the low wind speed test. I understand that the current wording does not require a test order, but it does imply one.
As someone who has been an event supervisor for this event I do not want it forced which has to be first. I prefered having two teams coming up at the same time with one doing the low speed first and the other testing high speed first and then having them switch. It is faster this way and makes it more doable to get through 16+ teams in a time block. If there were only 10 teams it would not be an issue but at larger touraments as much as 6 minutes per team can be tight.

PHXcoach
Member
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: May 20th, 2013, 10:23 am
Division: B
State: AZ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wind Power B/C

Post by PHXcoach » May 9th, 2016, 12:25 pm

GoldenKnight1 wrote:
PHXcoach wrote:One more pedantic suggestion.

Change the text in 4.a from "once with the fan at a high wind speed and once at a low wind speed" to "once with the fan at a low wind speed and once at a high wind speed".

At all events we tested the low speed first, then the high speed. This way if the assembly failed (blades flying off, etc) at high wind speed they could still get a score from the low wind speed test. I understand that the current wording does not require a test order, but it does imply one.
As someone who has been an event supervisor for this event I do not want it forced which has to be first. I prefered having two teams coming up at the same time with one doing the low speed first and the other testing high speed first and then having them switch. It is faster this way and makes it more doable to get through 16+ teams in a time block. If there were only 10 teams it would not be an issue but at larger touraments as much as 6 minutes per team can be tight.
I am not suggesting trying to force any order (after all the event supervisor has discretion) just imply a different default. For the events I supervised we called up one team at a time for inspection, then low speed test, finally high speed test. For busier events we could sequence teams so that we could have different teams at different steps in the 3 step blade testing process. The most we had was 10 teams in one session so I had it easier.

User avatar
daydreamer0023
Member
Member
Posts: 197
Joined: January 29th, 2015, 5:44 pm
Division: Grad
Location: I have no idea where I am, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going ;)
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wind Power B/C

Post by daydreamer0023 » May 14th, 2016, 7:51 pm

Thank you all so much for the help again! Do you know if we are allowed to bring a tachometer?
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!

User avatar
samlan16
Member
Member
Posts: 523
Joined: December 30th, 2013, 2:54 pm
Division: Grad
State: TN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Wind Power B/C

Post by samlan16 » May 14th, 2016, 8:21 pm

daydreamer0023 wrote:Thank you all so much for the help again! Do you know if we are allowed to bring a tachometer?
Hmm... I'd ask an FAQ if it hasn't closed yet. I don't believe there is explicitly anything against it, meaning it's allowed, but you should ask.
Remember, we are proud of every team that participated and you are all winners.

User avatar
fl0w
Member
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: January 29th, 2016, 9:52 pm
Division: C
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wind Power B/C

Post by fl0w » May 14th, 2016, 10:08 pm

Are we allowed to put stuff on the CD such as tape or clay to aid in balancing it (they arent part of the blade)? I submitted a rules clarification but they never got back to me :cry:
Mounds View High School

2015-16 Events: Wind Power, It's About Time, Game On
2016-17 Events: Wind Power, Ecology, Game On

Wind Power National Champion, 2016 National Tournament

User avatar
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 296
Joined: February 28th, 2015, 7:49 am
Division: Grad
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wind Power B/C

Post by dragonfruit35 » May 15th, 2016, 5:47 am

fl0w wrote:Are we allowed to put stuff on the CD such as tape or clay to aid in balancing it (they arent part of the blade)? I submitted a rules clarification but they never got back to me :cry:
If I were you, I'd mount such items on the base of the blade just in case. That way, there's no way it would be against the rules, unless some weird clarification has been posted :lol:
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"you have no idea how high i can fly." - michael g. scott

User avatar
fl0w
Member
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: January 29th, 2016, 9:52 pm
Division: C
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wind Power B/C

Post by fl0w » May 15th, 2016, 9:16 am

But what if the balance(tape or clay) is at a different point than the blade itself (so like in between two blades?)
Mounds View High School

2015-16 Events: Wind Power, It's About Time, Game On
2016-17 Events: Wind Power, Ecology, Game On

Wind Power National Champion, 2016 National Tournament

Locked

Return to “Wind Power B/C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest