Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Post by bernard » January 2nd, 2016, 5:06 am

windu34 wrote:
kdwood wrote:
bernard wrote: By "ready-to-launch configuration," the device seems to only need to fit within an 80 cm cube at the start of launch, not after.
Actually, read rule 4c: "No part of the launching device may extend outside of the launch area before or after a shot. If part of the launching device extends beyond the launch area during the launching action, it must return to and remain in the launch area immediately after the launch without assistance of the competitors." So the device must start AND end within the launching area, though during the launch parts of the device can exit the area; they just need to come back into the launching area on their own.
Yeah I knew that was in the rules somewhere, just couldn't remember. Anyways, I recommend not going outside launch area in the first place and avoiding this whole mess.
I didn't have rule 4.c. in mind when I made that post, so it's good that you pointed it out. But also launch area (4.a.) seems to be separate from the 70.0 or 80.0 cm cube (3.d.).
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

Leznupar
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Leznupar » January 2nd, 2016, 8:56 pm

Hi, new comer here. This is my first year competing, and I was wondering if "adjustments/resetting may be made to the device between shots" include removing and adding certain parts of my device if necessary? I am constructing something that'll adjust the angle when I do the near target, but I'd like to remove this during the far target and replace it with a different object.

bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard » January 2nd, 2016, 9:19 pm

Leznupar wrote:Hi, new comer here. This is my first year competing, and I was wondering if "adjustments/resetting may be made to the device between shots" include removing and adding certain parts of my device if necessary? I am constructing something that'll adjust the angle when I do the near target, but I'd like to remove this during the far target and replace it with a different object.
Welcome to the forums! Disclaimer that opinions here are not official; official opinions can be requested through FAQs on soinc.org. What you've described sounds legal.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

Leznupar
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Leznupar » January 2nd, 2016, 9:39 pm

Thank you! I was skimming through the 13 pages in this forum so far and when I saw that the bottle could be replaced and the kick ball can be as well, I was curious as to know if the same thing can be applied but instead, a different item is switched in/out. The item I am using for my near target adjusts the angle but it'll get in the way for the far target when I have to shoot the ball up to 2m to the left or right of the center line. Will there be anything wrong with just putting the item that went along with the near target to the side during the far target and vice versa with the near target.

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 » January 3rd, 2016, 5:11 am

Leznupar wrote:Thank you! I was skimming through the 13 pages in this forum so far and when I saw that the bottle could be replaced and the kick ball can be as well, I was curious as to know if the same thing can be applied but instead, a different item is switched in/out. The item I am using for my near target adjusts the angle but it'll get in the way for the far target when I have to shoot the ball up to 2m to the left or right of the center line. Will there be anything wrong with just putting the item that went along with the near target to the side during the far target and vice versa with the near target.
that should be perfectly fine
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Phys1cs
State: MD

Post by Phys1cs » January 3rd, 2016, 8:21 am

windu34 wrote:
Leznupar wrote:Thank you! I was skimming through the 13 pages in this forum so far and when I saw that the bottle could be replaced and the kick ball can be as well, I was curious as to know if the same thing can be applied but instead, a different item is switched in/out. The item I am using for my near target adjusts the angle but it'll get in the way for the far target when I have to shoot the ball up to 2m to the left or right of the center line. Will there be anything wrong with just putting the item that went along with the near target to the side during the far target and vice versa with the near target.
that should be perfectly fine
Just remember to impound it with the rest of your device.

DoctaDave
State: CA

Post by DoctaDave » January 18th, 2016, 5:56 pm

Has anyone found that racquetballs are not quite 2.25"? The ones that I just bought are noticeably smaller (2.18") which leaves a pretty big gap between the acrylic tube I have.

bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard » January 18th, 2016, 8:44 pm

DoctaDave wrote:Has anyone found that racquetballs are not quite 2.25"? The ones that I just bought are noticeably smaller (2.18") which leaves a pretty big gap between the acrylic tube I have.
And a related question: what do you do when you can't find a ball that fits your pipe perfectly (but of course your pipe is larger than your ball)? Last season we used tape, but noticed over time it lost consistently. Started with great consistency, but over time it would somehow act weirdly (making the projectile fit very, very tightly) so not so great consistency in the long run, at least from our experience.

sciolylover13
Division: B
State: AL

Post by sciolylover13 » January 19th, 2016, 7:25 am

bernard wrote: And a related question: what do you do when you can't find a ball that fits your pipe perfectly (but of course your pipe is larger than your ball)? Last season we used tape, but noticed over time it lost consistently. Started with great consistency, but over time it would somehow act weirdly (making the projectile fit very, very tightly) so not so great consistency in the long run, at least from our experience.
What ball are you using? I use plastic ping pong balls that fit a 1 1/4* in. PVC pipe perfectly.

*I bought said PVC pipe last year, so I don't remember the exact diameter of it. I'm pretty sure it was 1 1/4 though.
2015-2016 events:Chattahoochee/Dodgen/Regionals/State/Nats?
Anatomy and Physiology: 4/////
Green Generation: 6/////
Air Trajectory: NA/////
Crime Busters: 2/////

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 » January 19th, 2016, 8:16 am

Ya ping pong balls are the way to go if you want consistency