Air Trajectory B/C

ampy1234567
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: March 31st, 2015, 6:11 pm
Division: C
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Post by ampy1234567 » April 16th, 2016, 7:20 pm

Wait, isn't optics replacing crave (division b)/IAT (division c)?
Mounds View High School, 10th grade

2016 Nationals: Dynamic (2), Disease (6), Crave (8), Fossils (22)
2017 Nationals: Disease (1), Dynamic (2), Optics (5)

User avatar
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Posts: 1366
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Post by windu34 » April 16th, 2016, 8:12 pm

ampy1234567 wrote:Wait, isn't optics replacing crave (division b)/IAT (division c)?
Yes that's correct. Sounds Of Music is tentatively replacing air trajectory I believe
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Terbin73
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: December 1st, 2015, 4:39 pm
Division: B
State: GA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Post by Terbin73 » May 8th, 2016, 9:55 am

windu34 wrote:
ampy1234567 wrote:Wait, isn't optics replacing crave (division b)/IAT (division c)?
Yes that's correct. Sounds Of Music is tentatively replacing air trajectory I believe
Yep, I believe so too.

laidlawe18
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: September 1st, 2015, 2:03 pm
Division: C
State: RI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Post by laidlawe18 » May 12th, 2016, 7:33 am

Hi I have a rules question.

Are we allowed to use a stop watch during the resetting of our device? We want to be able to keep the amount of time between when we stop blowing and when we put the ball in consistent. The rules say that no electronic components are allowed, but I'm pretty sure laser pointers are allowed, so I would think that stop watches are allowed too.

Thanks in advance!

User avatar
SenseiSushi
Member
Member
Posts: 110
Joined: April 28th, 2015, 3:51 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Location: Los Estados Unidos
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Post by SenseiSushi » May 12th, 2016, 11:23 am

laidlawe18 wrote:Hi I have a rules question.

Are we allowed to use a stop watch during the resetting of our device? We want to be able to keep the amount of time between when we stop blowing and when we put the ball in consistent. The rules say that no electronic components are allowed, but I'm pretty sure laser pointers are allowed, so I would think that stop watches are allowed too.

Thanks in advance!
According to the FAQ on Soinc.org:

2015-12-14 10:24 Can the calibration of the device be electronic, if it is not a physical part of the device? (Meaning, it can be added, calibrated, and then removed before the firing of the device).
Yes, tools are allowed to be electronic. Electronic devices may only used during calibration.

I believe this means a stop watch can be used during calibration. You might want to check out https://www.soinc.org/node/478 for further clarification.
Userpage
2014 States: R&M-4th, Sounds of Music-5th
2015 States: Crime Busters-2nd, Green Gen-2nd
2015 Nationals: Green Generation-1st
2015 Swap Meet: Cheese Hat
2016 States: Green Gen-1st, Exp Des-5th, Scrambler-6th
2016 Nationals: Green Generation-1st

User avatar
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Posts: 1366
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Post by windu34 » May 12th, 2016, 1:24 pm

Sensei_Sushi wrote:
laidlawe18 wrote:Hi I have a rules question.

Are we allowed to use a stop watch during the resetting of our device? We want to be able to keep the amount of time between when we stop blowing and when we put the ball in consistent. The rules say that no electronic components are allowed, but I'm pretty sure laser pointers are allowed, so I would think that stop watches are allowed too.

Thanks in advance!
According to the FAQ on Soinc.org:

2015-12-14 10:24 Can the calibration of the device be electronic, if it is not a physical part of the device? (Meaning, it can be added, calibrated, and then removed before the firing of the device).
Yes, tools are allowed to be electronic. Electronic devices may only used during calibration.

I believe this means a stop watch can be used during calibration. You might want to check out https://www.soinc.org/node/478 for further clarification.
Seconded^
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

laidlawe18
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: September 1st, 2015, 2:03 pm
Division: C
State: RI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Post by laidlawe18 » May 12th, 2016, 2:43 pm

Okay, thanks.

What are your thoughts on the stopwatch being a smartphone?

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4269
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Post by Unome » May 12th, 2016, 2:56 pm

laidlawe18 wrote:Okay, thanks.

What are your thoughts on the stopwatch being a smartphone?
I suppose some supervisors may allow this, depending on the context (JeRRy/Uncle Fester has talked about this a few times, can't find the post currently or I would quote it), but I'd suggest you play it safe and get a regular stopwatch.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

DoctaDave
Member
Member
Posts: 167
Joined: December 28th, 2013, 10:59 pm
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Post by DoctaDave » May 21st, 2016, 9:00 pm

Does anyone have the scores for air trajectory at nats? I got 0cm on the close 5.2 cm on the far and landed both bucket shots, but also got a 100 point penalty. I just want to see where I would have placed if we didn't get that penalty.

User avatar
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Posts: 1366
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Post by windu34 » May 21st, 2016, 9:29 pm

DoctaDave wrote:Does anyone have the scores for air trajectory at nats? I got 0cm on the close 5.2 cm on the far and landed both bucket shots, but also got a 100 point penalty. I just want to see where I would have placed if we didn't get that penalty.
I don't have the scores, but just curious, what was your penalty for?
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Locked

Return to “Air Trajectory B/C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest