Air Trajectory B/C

reed303
Has thanked: 0

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Post by reed303 »

AirTrejectors wrote:
maxxxxx wrote:
AirTrejectors wrote:Where does the distance to shoot start from? Do you have to align the front of your device to a line? Also, is a bucket shot using a physical bucket that has a height to it?
As long as the device fits within the box I think it does not have to be aligned with the front line. The bucket shot is a literal bucket with height.
~how high is the bucket normally? And does the projectile have to be a ball? I'm currently using a medicine bottle.
Plan on a 12"-18" high bucket, 1-5 gallon. Like a standard "Home Depot" 5 gallon bucket.
And the ball MUST be a ball. 1 of the 4 specific balls in the rules. Ping Pong, tennis, racquet, or practice golf (foam or plastic).
Targets are measured from the front line of the 1 meter square "launch area", which the device must be inside of in its "ready-to-launch" position. But not necessarily "on" the lines. It is your decision on how to align the device (inside the launch area) to hit a given target.
Div B Asst Coach 2012-2021
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

AirTrejectors wrote:
maxxxxx wrote:
AirTrejectors wrote:Where does the distance to shoot start from? Do you have to align the front of your device to a line? Also, is a bucket shot using a physical bucket that has a height to it?
As long as the device fits within the box I think it does not have to be aligned with the front line. The bucket shot is a literal bucket with height.
~how high is the bucket normally? And does the projectile have to be a ball? I'm currently using a medicine bottle.

Based upon your questions, it appears you haven't reviewed a copy of the rules. You REALLY need to study them closely. Your coach should be able to provide you with a copy. There are a LOT of details you need to be aware of that could cause you to be DQ'd, and the one about the choice of projectile is an obvious one you should have known immediately before even thinking about building a device.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
AirTrejectors
Been thanked: 0

Post by AirTrejectors »

If the ball is shooting too far, can I put another projectile in it with the ball so that the air moves the first projectile into hitting the ball? Would I be disqualified if the first projectile comes out?
GoldenKnight1
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by GoldenKnight1 »

AirTrejectors wrote:If the ball is shooting too far, can I put another projectile in it with the ball so that the air moves the first projectile into hitting the ball? Would I be disqualified if the first projectile comes out?
I think you would have an issue with 5.d. since with some judges (myself included) believing that this "first projectile" is part of your device that cannot leave the 1m x 1m launch area. You would not be disqualified though as it would only result in a 100 point penalty per shot that this happened during. Now if you had a way to keep it from leaving he launch area that would be another story.
reed303

Post by reed303 »

AirTrejectors wrote:If the ball is shooting too far, can I put another projectile in it with the ball so that the air moves the first projectile into hitting the ball? Would I be disqualified if the first projectile comes out?
The common approach to this is raise the angle of the launch tube and/or reduce the weight of the mass.
Div B Asst Coach 2012-2021
BananaPirate
Division: C
State: OH

Post by BananaPirate »

reed303 wrote:
The common approach to this is raise the angle of the launch tube and/or reduce the weight of the mass.
In order to lower the power of shots as a whole, my team has made it less efficient by shortening the length of our tube/barrel and putting a hole in the tube with the ball.
brayden box
Division: B
State: NY

Post by brayden box »

we use a weight that falls down a tube design, but we had to shorten our tube. To get it to shoot farther, I drilled about 150 1/4 in holes down the side of the dropping tube. Our machine can shoot over 10 meters :D
BBOX
blanks

Post by blanks »

brayden box wrote:we use a weight that falls down a tube design, but we had to shorten our tube. To get it to shoot farther, I drilled about 150 1/4 in holes down the side of the dropping tube. Our machine can shoot over 10 meters :D
I've taken a similar approach, but mine can only shoot ~6m. What would you suggest to use for the weight and how far down the pipe did you drill?
General-Lee

Next year

Post by General-Lee »

Hi, anyone know if Air Trajectory is on a 2 or 3 year cycle? Will it be replaced next year?

Thanks!
asthedeer
Division: C
State: MD

Re: Next year

Post by asthedeer »

General-Lee wrote:Hi, anyone know if Air Trajectory is on a 2 or 3 year cycle? Will it be replaced next year?

Thanks!
It's a new event, which means that the 2015 season was the first year it was run. According to the proposed event list for next year (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MtP ... EB2XM/edit), Air T doesn't seem to be coming back for the 2017 season (dang, 2017...I feel SO OLD). It appears that it will be replaced by Optics (as far as I can tell).
Pilgrimage Homeschool Science Olympiad 2017!!!
Anatomy, ExD, Rocks and Minerals, Helicopters.

Check out my blog!
rockandminerals4him.wordpress.com

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
~God, Jeremiah 29:11

Return to “Air Trajectory B/C”