bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Post by bernard »

AirTrejectors wrote:Is a trebuchet allowed in air trajectory?
Yes if the gravitational potential energy is converted to air pressure/movement to launch a projectile. A typical physics class trebuchet that doesn't use air pressure will not satisfy this requirement.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
AirTrejectors
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by AirTrejectors »

bernard wrote:
Yes if the gravitational potential energy is converted to air pressure/movement to launch a projectile. A typical physics class trebuchet that doesn't use air pressure will not satisfy this requirement.
How would a trebuchet covert potential energy into air pressure? If it's triggered using air pressure does that count as being incorporated?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

AirTrejectors wrote:
bernard wrote:
How would a trebuchet covert potential energy into air pressure? If it's triggered using air pressure does that count as being incorporated?
Energy used to launch the projectile must come from air pressure, which must be initially supplied by the falling mass. A falling mass generating air pressure that causes another mass to fall and launch the projectile would not use air pressure to launch the projectile--the energy comes directly from the gravitational energy of the falling mass. Also your device should not start with any air stored at non-ambient air pressure (e.g. you can't use a pump to increase pressure inside a vessel before launches).

As always, opinions on this site are not official. Official opinions are only available at sonic.org.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ »

AirTrejectors wrote:
bernard wrote:
If you have a weight fall on something that causes air flow and that air flow flings the trebuchet then that would be fine.
Innovation =/= success
papesthemonkey

Post by papesthemonkey »

hey does anyone know how to signup online for a time slot for air trajectory?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

papesthemonkey wrote:hey does anyone know how to signup online for a time slot for air trajectory?
This should be done following your tournament's sign-up procedures, which vary from tournament to tournament. Email the tournament director to check.
watermydoing14
Division: C

Post by watermydoing14 »

Bazinga+ wrote:
Eggo wrote:
kaylie2000 wrote:
What exactly do you mean by a pump? I've tried to build a sort of air pressure chamber but it did not work out.
Some good pumps I have seen are stomp rocket pumps, either circular, or rectangular.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Original-Stom ... B0006O8Q7Y
I don't recommend using stomp rocket pumps since they have the exact same problems as regular bottles. Try hand pumps or foot pumps which are very consistent and don't wear out.
Our team is experimenting with an ambu bag - one of our member's dad is a doctor and he lent us one for free, but you could probably get them for ~$20 online
2013~Designer Genes~Disease Detectives~Forensics~Remote Sensing
2014~Anatomy~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2015~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2016~Air Trajectory~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Protein Modeling~Robot Arm~Wright Stuff
Interlake High School
GO SAINTS!
AirTrejectors

Post by AirTrejectors »

Where does the distance to shoot start from? Do you have to align the front of your device to a line? Also, is a bucket shot using a physical bucket that has a height to it?
maxxxxx
State: PA

Post by maxxxxx »

AirTrejectors wrote:Where does the distance to shoot start from? Do you have to align the front of your device to a line? Also, is a bucket shot using a physical bucket that has a height to it?
As long as the device fits within the box I think it does not have to be aligned with the front line. The bucket shot is a literal bucket with height.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017
AirTrejectors

Post by AirTrejectors »

maxxxxx wrote:
AirTrejectors wrote:Where does the distance to shoot start from? Do you have to align the front of your device to a line? Also, is a bucket shot using a physical bucket that has a height to it?
As long as the device fits within the box I think it does not have to be aligned with the front line. The bucket shot is a literal bucket with height.
~how high is the bucket normally? And does the projectile have to be a ball? I'm currently using a medicine bottle.

Return to “Air Trajectory B/C”