BananaPirate
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Post by BananaPirate »

reed303 wrote:
AirTrejectors wrote:If the ball is shooting too far, can I put another projectile in it with the ball so that the air moves the first projectile into hitting the ball? Would I be disqualified if the first projectile comes out?
The common approach to this is raise the angle of the launch tube and/or reduce the weight of the mass.
In order to lower the power of shots as a whole, my team has made it less efficient by shortening the length of our tube/barrel and putting a hole in the tube with the ball.
brayden box
Division: B
State: NY

Post by brayden box »

we use a weight that falls down a tube design, but we had to shorten our tube. To get it to shoot farther, I drilled about 150 1/4 in holes down the side of the dropping tube. Our machine can shoot over 10 meters :D
BBOX
blanks

Post by blanks »

brayden box wrote:we use a weight that falls down a tube design, but we had to shorten our tube. To get it to shoot farther, I drilled about 150 1/4 in holes down the side of the dropping tube. Our machine can shoot over 10 meters :D
I've taken a similar approach, but mine can only shoot ~6m. What would you suggest to use for the weight and how far down the pipe did you drill?
General-Lee

Next year

Post by General-Lee »

Hi, anyone know if Air Trajectory is on a 2 or 3 year cycle? Will it be replaced next year?

Thanks!
asthedeer
State: MD

Re: Next year

Post by asthedeer »

General-Lee wrote:Hi, anyone know if Air Trajectory is on a 2 or 3 year cycle? Will it be replaced next year?

Thanks!
It's a new event, which means that the 2015 season was the first year it was run. According to the proposed event list for next year (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MtP ... EB2XM/edit), Air T doesn't seem to be coming back for the 2017 season (dang, 2017...I feel SO OLD). It appears that it will be replaced by Optics (as far as I can tell).
Pilgrimage Homeschool Science Olympiad 2017!!!
Anatomy, ExD, Rocks and Minerals, Helicopters.

Check out my blog!
rockandminerals4him.wordpress.com

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
~God, Jeremiah 29:11
ampy1234567
State: MN

Post by ampy1234567 »

Wait, isn't optics replacing crave (division b)/IAT (division c)?
Mounds View High School, 10th grade

2016 Nationals: Dynamic (2), Disease (6), Crave (8), Fossils (22)
2017 Nationals: Disease (1), Dynamic (2), Optics (5)
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

ampy1234567 wrote:Wait, isn't optics replacing crave (division b)/IAT (division c)?
Yes that's correct. Sounds Of Music is tentatively replacing air trajectory I believe
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Terbin73
Division: B
State: GA

Post by Terbin73 »

windu34 wrote:
ampy1234567 wrote:Wait, isn't optics replacing crave (division b)/IAT (division c)?
Yes that's correct. Sounds Of Music is tentatively replacing air trajectory I believe
Yep, I believe so too.
laidlawe18
State: RI

Post by laidlawe18 »

Hi I have a rules question.

Are we allowed to use a stop watch during the resetting of our device? We want to be able to keep the amount of time between when we stop blowing and when we put the ball in consistent. The rules say that no electronic components are allowed, but I'm pretty sure laser pointers are allowed, so I would think that stop watches are allowed too.

Thanks in advance!
SenseiSushi
State: PA

Post by SenseiSushi »

laidlawe18 wrote:Hi I have a rules question.

Are we allowed to use a stop watch during the resetting of our device? We want to be able to keep the amount of time between when we stop blowing and when we put the ball in consistent. The rules say that no electronic components are allowed, but I'm pretty sure laser pointers are allowed, so I would think that stop watches are allowed too.

Thanks in advance!
According to the FAQ on Soinc.org:

2015-12-14 10:24 Can the calibration of the device be electronic, if it is not a physical part of the device? (Meaning, it can be added, calibrated, and then removed before the firing of the device).
Yes, tools are allowed to be electronic. Electronic devices may only used during calibration.

I believe this means a stop watch can be used during calibration. You might want to check out https://www.soinc.org/node/478 for further clarification.
Userpage
2014 States: R&M-4th, Sounds of Music-5th
2015 States: Crime Busters-2nd, Green Gen-2nd
2015 Nationals: Green Generation-1st
2015 Swap Meet: Cheese Hat
2016 States: Green Gen-1st, Exp Des-5th, Scrambler-6th
2016 Nationals: Green Generation-1st

Return to “Air Trajectory B/C”