Air Trajectory B/C

kaylie2000
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Post by kaylie2000 » February 17th, 2016, 5:42 pm

My device is a simple design with an empty soda bottle. Does anyone have any suggestions to improve the consistency on it? Also, are we allowed to move our device in order to aim for the target that is to the left or right of the centerline?

Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ » February 17th, 2016, 5:55 pm

kaylie2000 wrote:My device is a simple design with an empty soda bottle. Does anyone have any suggestions to improve the consistency on it? Also, are we allowed to move our device in order to aim for the target that is to the left or right of the centerline?
I wouldn't use a soda bottle because it is very inconsistent. Also after using it a few times it can change shape and its just a very brute design imo. Try using something more consistent like a pump. You are allowed to move the trajectory anywhere inside the 1m x 1m box (as long as no part goes outside). Also remember that you can move it forward and back to adjust for lengths.
Innovation =/= success

brayden box
Division: B

Post by brayden box » February 18th, 2016, 5:41 am

Bazinga+ wrote:
kaylie2000 wrote:My device is a simple design with an empty soda bottle. Does anyone have any suggestions to improve the consistency on it? Also, are we allowed to move our device in order to aim for the target that is to the left or right of the centerline?
I wouldn't use a soda bottle because it is very inconsistent. Also after using it a few times it can change shape and its just a very brute design imo. Try using something more consistent like a pump. You are allowed to move the trajectory anywhere inside the 1m x 1m box (as long as no part goes outside). Also remember that you can move it forward and back to adjust for lengths.
Yes, soda bottles are very inconsistent. Not only that, but 1 or 2 years ago at a NY regionals a few teams had a soda bottle machine, and not only did it not hit anywhere near the target, it also broke and took them a long time to fix.
BBOX

kaylie2000

Post by kaylie2000 » February 18th, 2016, 8:07 am

Bazinga+ wrote:
What exactly do you mean by a pump? I've tried to build a sort of air pressure chamber but it did not work out.

Eggo
State: CA
Location: <insert precise location here for stalkers to find you.>

Post by Eggo » February 18th, 2016, 9:39 am

kaylie2000 wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote:
What exactly do you mean by a pump? I've tried to build a sort of air pressure chamber but it did not work out.
Some good pumps I have seen are stomp rocket pumps, either circular, or rectangular.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Original-Stom ... B0006O8Q7Y
Anatomy, Disease Detectives, Circuit Lab, Mousetrap Vehicle
Medal Count: 51

retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by retired1 » February 18th, 2016, 10:07 am

Our 3 teams went with a $4.50 basketball from Wall Mart. No problem throwing the practice golf ball the max distance with 1 kg of weight. We bought 10 lbs of steel shot from midwest at a reasonable price. Normally it is repeatable. Bought a cheap digital inclinometer on line to get repeatable elevations.
Works far better than last years bottles.

Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Bazinga+ » February 18th, 2016, 1:37 pm

Eggo wrote:
kaylie2000 wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote: I wouldn't use a soda bottle because it is very inconsistent. Also after using it a few times it can change shape and its just a very brute design imo. Try using something more consistent like a pump. You are allowed to move the trajectory anywhere inside the 1m x 1m box (as long as no part goes outside). Also remember that you can move it forward and back to adjust for lengths.
Some good pumps I have seen are stomp rocket pumps, either circular, or rectangular.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Original-Stom ... B0006O8Q7Y
I don't recommend using stomp rocket pumps since they have the exact same problems as regular bottles. Try hand pumps or foot pumps which are very consistent and don't wear out.
Innovation =/= success

kaziscioly
State: IL

Post by kaziscioly » February 21st, 2016, 10:31 am

SPP SciO wrote:Our team has a working apparatus with a kickball, and foam golf ball projectiles. The two biggest challenges were sealing a tube into the kickball, and finding appropriate sized tubing for the launch barrel.

So far, the first challenge was met with some metal coupling hardware, attaching the kickball to a shop vac style hose. The second, check out "furniture grade" PVC. As it turns out, they make plastic tubes in basically any size you can imagine - seek and ye shall find (for very little money, too!)
What size pvc were you able to find that could fit the practice golf ball, and where did you get it from? Even when searching furniture pvc I am only finding standard sizes. 1 1/2 inch was too small to fit the practice golf ball (which is around 1.7 inch diameter). Thanks

retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by retired1 » February 21st, 2016, 11:11 am

PM me and I will tell you what we use.

SPP SciO
Division: B

Post by SPP SciO » March 4th, 2016, 11:25 am

kaziscioly wrote:
What size pvc were you able to find that could fit the practice golf ball, and where did you get it from? Even when searching furniture pvc I am only finding standard sizes. 1 1/2 inch was too small to fit the practice golf ball (which is around 1.7 inch diameter). Thanks
https://flexpvc.com/Products/PVCPipe.shtml 1-1/2" is the way to go, but with sch. 40 PVC, the walls are a little too thick. There's thinner stuff available, with the same outer diameter
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com

Return to “Air Trajectory B/C”