Air Trajectory B/C

BananaPirate
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: February 26th, 2014, 4:01 pm
Division: C
State: OH

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Postby BananaPirate » March 27th, 2016, 5:53 pm

reed303 wrote:
AirTrejectors wrote:If the ball is shooting too far, can I put another projectile in it with the ball so that the air moves the first projectile into hitting the ball? Would I be disqualified if the first projectile comes out?


The common approach to this is raise the angle of the launch tube and/or reduce the weight of the mass.

In order to lower the power of shots as a whole, my team has made it less efficient by shortening the length of our tube/barrel and putting a hole in the tube with the ball.

brayden box
Member
Member
Posts: 90
Joined: September 21st, 2015, 7:43 am
Division: B
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Postby brayden box » April 7th, 2016, 11:53 am

we use a weight that falls down a tube design, but we had to shorten our tube. To get it to shoot farther, I drilled about 150 1/4 in holes down the side of the dropping tube. Our machine can shoot over 10 meters :D
BBOX

blanks
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: April 1st, 2016, 2:21 pm
State: -

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Postby blanks » April 11th, 2016, 2:50 pm

brayden box wrote:we use a weight that falls down a tube design, but we had to shorten our tube. To get it to shoot farther, I drilled about 150 1/4 in holes down the side of the dropping tube. Our machine can shoot over 10 meters :D

I've taken a similar approach, but mine can only shoot ~6m. What would you suggest to use for the weight and how far down the pipe did you drill?

General-Lee
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: April 16th, 2016, 2:05 pm
State: -

Next year

Postby General-Lee » April 16th, 2016, 2:11 pm

Hi, anyone know if Air Trajectory is on a 2 or 3 year cycle? Will it be replaced next year?

Thanks!

User avatar
asthedeer
Member
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: November 5th, 2013, 6:04 am
Division: C
State: MD
Location: On Earth.
Contact:

Re: Next year

Postby asthedeer » April 16th, 2016, 3:14 pm

General-Lee wrote:Hi, anyone know if Air Trajectory is on a 2 or 3 year cycle? Will it be replaced next year?

Thanks!


It's a new event, which means that the 2015 season was the first year it was run. According to the proposed event list for next year (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MtP ... EB2XM/edit), Air T doesn't seem to be coming back for the 2017 season (dang, 2017...I feel SO OLD). It appears that it will be replaced by Optics (as far as I can tell).
Pilgrimage Homeschool Science Olympiad 2017!!!
Anatomy, ExD, Rocks and Minerals, Helicopters.

Check out my blog!
rockandminerals4him.wordpress.com

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
~God, Jeremiah 29:11

ampy1234567
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: March 31st, 2015, 6:11 pm
Division: C
State: MN

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Postby ampy1234567 » April 16th, 2016, 7:20 pm

Wait, isn't optics replacing crave (division b)/IAT (division c)?
Mounds View High School, 10th grade

2016 Nationals: Dynamic (2), Disease (6), Crave (8), Fossils (22)
2017 Nationals: Disease (1), Dynamic (2), Optics (5)

User avatar
windu34
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1304
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Postby windu34 » April 16th, 2016, 8:12 pm

ampy1234567 wrote:Wait, isn't optics replacing crave (division b)/IAT (division c)?

Yes that's correct. Sounds Of Music is tentatively replacing air trajectory I believe
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2020:
UT Austin - Circuit Lab B/C
Solon - Circuit Lab C
Nationals - Circuit Lab C

Terbin73
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: December 1st, 2015, 4:39 pm
Division: B
State: GA
Contact:

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Postby Terbin73 » May 8th, 2016, 9:55 am

windu34 wrote:
ampy1234567 wrote:Wait, isn't optics replacing crave (division b)/IAT (division c)?

Yes that's correct. Sounds Of Music is tentatively replacing air trajectory I believe

Yep, I believe so too.

laidlawe18
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: September 1st, 2015, 2:03 pm
Division: C
State: RI

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Postby laidlawe18 » May 12th, 2016, 7:33 am

Hi I have a rules question.

Are we allowed to use a stop watch during the resetting of our device? We want to be able to keep the amount of time between when we stop blowing and when we put the ball in consistent. The rules say that no electronic components are allowed, but I'm pretty sure laser pointers are allowed, so I would think that stop watches are allowed too.

Thanks in advance!

User avatar
SenseiSushi
Member
Member
Posts: 110
Joined: April 28th, 2015, 3:51 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Location: Los Estados Unidos
Contact:

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Postby SenseiSushi » May 12th, 2016, 11:23 am

laidlawe18 wrote:Hi I have a rules question.

Are we allowed to use a stop watch during the resetting of our device? We want to be able to keep the amount of time between when we stop blowing and when we put the ball in consistent. The rules say that no electronic components are allowed, but I'm pretty sure laser pointers are allowed, so I would think that stop watches are allowed too.

Thanks in advance!


According to the FAQ on Soinc.org:

2015-12-14 10:24 Can the calibration of the device be electronic, if it is not a physical part of the device? (Meaning, it can be added, calibrated, and then removed before the firing of the device).
Yes, tools are allowed to be electronic. Electronic devices may only used during calibration.

I believe this means a stop watch can be used during calibration. You might want to check out https://www.soinc.org/node/478 for further clarification.
Userpage
2014 States: R&M-4th, Sounds of Music-5th
2015 States: Crime Busters-2nd, Green Gen-2nd
2015 Nationals: Green Generation-1st
2015 Swap Meet: Cheese Hat
2016 States: Green Gen-1st, Exp Des-5th, Scrambler-6th
2016 Nationals: Green Generation-1st

User avatar
windu34
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1304
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Postby windu34 » May 12th, 2016, 1:24 pm

Sensei_Sushi wrote:
laidlawe18 wrote:Hi I have a rules question.

Are we allowed to use a stop watch during the resetting of our device? We want to be able to keep the amount of time between when we stop blowing and when we put the ball in consistent. The rules say that no electronic components are allowed, but I'm pretty sure laser pointers are allowed, so I would think that stop watches are allowed too.

Thanks in advance!


According to the FAQ on Soinc.org:

2015-12-14 10:24 Can the calibration of the device be electronic, if it is not a physical part of the device? (Meaning, it can be added, calibrated, and then removed before the firing of the device).
Yes, tools are allowed to be electronic. Electronic devices may only used during calibration.

I believe this means a stop watch can be used during calibration. You might want to check out https://www.soinc.org/node/478 for further clarification.

Seconded^
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2020:
UT Austin - Circuit Lab B/C
Solon - Circuit Lab C
Nationals - Circuit Lab C

laidlawe18
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: September 1st, 2015, 2:03 pm
Division: C
State: RI

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Postby laidlawe18 » May 12th, 2016, 2:43 pm

Okay, thanks.

What are your thoughts on the stopwatch being a smartphone?

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4043
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Postby Unome » May 12th, 2016, 2:56 pm

laidlawe18 wrote:Okay, thanks.

What are your thoughts on the stopwatch being a smartphone?

I suppose some supervisors may allow this, depending on the context (JeRRy/Uncle Fester has talked about this a few times, can't find the post currently or I would quote it), but I'd suggest you play it safe and get a regular stopwatch.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

DoctaDave
Member
Member
Posts: 167
Joined: December 28th, 2013, 10:59 pm
Division: Grad
State: CA

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Postby DoctaDave » May 21st, 2016, 9:00 pm

Does anyone have the scores for air trajectory at nats? I got 0cm on the close 5.2 cm on the far and landed both bucket shots, but also got a 100 point penalty. I just want to see where I would have placed if we didn't get that penalty.

User avatar
windu34
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1304
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Postby windu34 » May 21st, 2016, 9:29 pm

DoctaDave wrote:Does anyone have the scores for air trajectory at nats? I got 0cm on the close 5.2 cm on the far and landed both bucket shots, but also got a 100 point penalty. I just want to see where I would have placed if we didn't get that penalty.

I don't have the scores, but just curious, what was your penalty for?
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2020:
UT Austin - Circuit Lab B/C
Solon - Circuit Lab C
Nationals - Circuit Lab C


Return to “Air Trajectory B/C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests