Release Mechanism

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Release Mechanism

Post by chalker »

Whiteheat073 wrote:I feel so basic with my release mechanism... A string that got pulled and triggered a lever that swung a PVC pipe with a pin on it to pop a balloon to release the falling mass and launch the projectile
Just to check, does the falling mass directly impact the projectile? If so that's not sufficient to meet the "air" requirements of the event. The energy from the falling mass needs to be converted into air pressure or movement before launching the projectile.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Whiteheat073 wrote:I feel so basic with my release mechanism... A string that got pulled and triggered a lever that swung a PVC pipe with a pin on it to pop a balloon to release the falling mass and launch the projectile
Wait what? Seems....efficient (also what chalker said)
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Whiteheat073
Division: B
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Whiteheat073 »

chalker wrote:
Just to check, does the falling mass directly impact the projectile? If so that's not sufficient to meet the "air" requirements of the event. The energy from the falling mass needs to be converted into air pressure or movement before launching the projectile.
It does not impact the projectile directly. And it also is converted to movement before launch.
CM
Yes I'm a geek who likes TF2. Don't judge me.
Whiteheat073
State: IL

Post by Whiteheat073 »

windu34 wrote:
Wait what? Seems....efficient (also what chalker said)
And it was quite efficient
CM
Yes I'm a geek who likes TF2. Don't judge me.
SPP SciO
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by SPP SciO »

I love the extrabox thinking with the balloon/trebuchet idea, even though it seems to clearly violate the "spirit" of the rules ... But, for a balloon to be popped, wouldn't it necessarily have to be at a higher-than-ambient pressure before being triggered? Thus violating the literal rules?
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Just a quick update: After failing to reach the far distances with my original release mechanism, I changed it to Phy1cs's design which gave me the extra height I had lost. The mechanism seems consistent and has a low-ish coefficient of friction if pulled properly
Jackcbrown89
Division: C
State: OH

Post by Jackcbrown89 »

VansBuilders wrote:Hi, I am new to AirTrajctort Division B. Can someone post the typical dimension for the PVC pipe in the Release Mechanism. I am thinking of 6" inch pipe. Is that reasonable?
Thanks.
Instead of asking people and doing things the same way, try something else and test it.
**Air Trajectory
**It's About Time
**Electric Vehicle
**Astronomy
**Chemistry Lab

MHS Science
VansBuilders
Division: C
State: CA

Post by VansBuilders »

When using a 2 liter soda bottle as a launch mechanism, at the competition, are you allowed to blow into the bottle for it to return to ambient air pressure? Thanks.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

VansBuilders wrote:When using a 2 liter soda bottle as a launch mechanism, at the competition, are you allowed to blow into the bottle for it to return to ambient air pressure? Thanks.
Yes - considered part of the recalibrating period

Question to chalker: Seeing as how this gets asked SO often, why is there no clause in the rules to prevent the ridiculous numbers of people from having trouble with this?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

windu34 wrote:
VansBuilders wrote:When using a 2 liter soda bottle as a launch mechanism, at the competition, are you allowed to blow into the bottle for it to return to ambient air pressure? Thanks.
Yes - considered part of the recalibrating period

Question to chalker: Seeing as how this gets asked SO often, why is there no clause in the rules to prevent the ridiculous numbers of people from having trouble with this?
Not chalker, but I'll point out some things: It's being asked after the rules have been printed. Though the writers of rules try to make them as clear as possible, there can be situations/question they don't think of while writing. And I think they try to not write rules (or post official FAQs/clarifications) about specific approaches to devices (unless its prohibiting them).
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs

Return to “Air Trajectory B/C”