Device Dimensions

VansBuilders
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Device Dimensions

Post by VansBuilders »

For division B, the device has to fit in 80cm cube. But during the launch, can the soda bottle/ launching tube protrude outside the 80cm cube dimension? Pl clarify. Thanks.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Device Dimensions

Post by windu34 »

VansBuilders wrote:For division B, the device has to fit in 80cm cube. But during the launch, can the soda bottle/ launching tube protrude outside the 80cm cube dimension? Pl clarify. Thanks.
Yes, but it must return inside the 80cm cube on its own after launch
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

windu34 wrote:
VansBuilders wrote:For division B, the device has to fit in 80cm cube. But during the launch, can the soda bottle/ launching tube protrude outside the 80cm cube dimension? Pl clarify. Thanks.
Where do you see this rule? Rule 3.d. applies to "ready-to-launch configuration."
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

bernard wrote:
windu34 wrote:
Where do you see this rule? Rule 3.d. applies to "ready-to-launch configuration."
I don't have the rules with me, but I know them pretty much by heart.
Was my interpretation of the rules incorrect? I remember teams having arms that would swing out of the dimensions to launch the projectile and return back and that was perfectly legal (one of those was my team)
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

windu34 wrote:
bernard wrote:
windu34 wrote: Yes, but it must return inside the 80cm cube on its own after launch
Was my interpretation of the rules incorrect? I remember teams having arms that would swing out of the dimensions to launch the projectile and return back and that was perfectly legal (one of those was my team)
Yes, that was legal but had it not returned into the maximum dimensions, I think it would have also been perfectly legal, since it doesn't seem to be a requirement that devices stay under maximum dimensions at all times; it's seems to only be necessary when its in a ready-to-launch configuration.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

bernard wrote:
windu34 wrote:
bernard wrote: Where do you see this rule? Rule 3.d. applies to "ready-to-launch configuration."
Yes, that was legal but had it not returned into the maximum dimensions, I think it would have also been perfectly legal, since it doesn't seem to be a requirement that devices stay under maximum dimensions at all times; it's seems to only be necessary when its in a ready-to-launch configuration.
I read through the rules again and you are correct.
VansBuilders

Post by VansBuilders »

Thanks a lot for the clarification. In my case, it is not a swinging arm. It is the launch pipe that sticks out of 80cm cube for certain ranges. So I understand that I need to make sure, it stays within 80cm in ready-to-launch configuration for all ranges.
DoctaDave

Post by DoctaDave »

Keep in mind of rule 4c. "No part of the launching device may extend outside of the launch area before or after a shot. If part of the launching device extends beyond the launch area during the launching action, it must return to and remain in the launch area immediately after the launch without assistance of the competitors."

So your device can extend past your 80cm imaginary cube, but it cannot extend past the 1m x 1m launch area, and if it does during the launch, it must return inside immediately.
VansBuilders

Post by VansBuilders »

I am starting to test my device. I Would like to,clarify the following:
During the competition, how is the target range marked? Is it a straight line or a circle with certain radius?
If it is a circle, what is the radius? Is the ball required to land anywhere inside the circle?
If straight line, any minimum tolerance accepted or the ball should touch the line?
Thanks.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

VansBuilders wrote:I am starting to test my device. I Would like to,clarify the following:
During the competition, how is the target range marked? Is it a straight line or a circle with certain radius?
If it is a circle, what is the radius? Is the ball required to land anywhere inside the circle?
If straight line, any minimum tolerance accepted or the ball should touch the line?
Thanks.
Every ES will do it differently: I have seen everything from a coin in a sand pit to an X marked with tape.
DO NOT COUNT ON ANYTHING. When testing/practicing, make a dot on a piece of tape and shoot at that; leaving scoring to the judges.

Return to “Air Trajectory B/C”