Graphs

VansBuilders
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Graphs

Post by VansBuilders »

I would like to clarify a question about Graphs that need to be submitted for this competition.
I have data for 4 different launch angles and 8 different drop heights. I kept the drop weight constant. I can graph drop height Vs range for each angle as its own graph. That would give me 4 graphs for same set of parameters.

Is that allowed or should each graph be plotted for different set of parameters?
If so, I need to get more data for various types of balls, different drop weights etc..

Thanks.
Phys1cs
Division: Grad
State: MD

Re: Graphs

Post by Phys1cs »

VansBuilders wrote:I would like to clarify a question about Graphs that need to be submitted for this competition.
I have data for 4 different launch angles and 8 different drop heights. I kept the drop weight constant. I can graph drop height Vs range for each angle as its own graph. That would give me 4 graphs for same set of parameters.

Is that allowed or should each graph be plotted for different set of parameters?
If so, I need to get more data for various types of balls, different drop weights etc..

Thanks.
So from the looks of it, that would be perfectly acceptable. The rules 6.c.v states
the score of the scored graph will be multiplied by the number of graphs submitted (up to four, as long as they are not the same
. This leads me to believe the parameters may be the same, as long as the numbers and data aren't the same from graph to graph.

As always, not the place for official clarifications, but that's my take on it. You may want to play it safe an add a secondary title to each graph stating the changing parameter since it's not on the x or y axis, for emphasis and clarity for the ES.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Phys1cs wrote:
VansBuilders wrote:I would like to clarify a question about Graphs that need to be submitted for this competition.

Thanks.
So from the looks of it, that would be perfectly acceptable. The rules 6.c.v states
the score of the scored graph will be multiplied by the number of graphs submitted (up to four, as long as they are not the same
. This leads me to believe the parameters may be the same, as long as the numbers and data aren't the same from graph to graph.

As always, not the place for official clarifications, but that's my take on it. You may want to play it safe an add a secondary title to each graph stating the changing parameter since it's not on the x or y axis, for emphasis and clarity for the ES.
I wouldn't be too concerned over the graphs. What you have sounds fine to me, just format the graphs in excel and make them look professional (helps in my experience)
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
retired1

Post by retired1 »

Just make sure that you have positively identified the angle associated with each graph- probably putting it in the graph title. Other than that, it is fine.
asthedeer
State: MD

Post by asthedeer »

Thanks.
You got it! It sounds like that'll work.
Pilgrimage Homeschool Science Olympiad 2017!!!
Anatomy, ExD, Rocks and Minerals, Helicopters.

Check out my blog!
rockandminerals4him.wordpress.com

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
~God, Jeremiah 29:11
retired1

Post by retired1 »

Each graph has a different angle as the 3rd parameter, so your original thought is very acceptable. You need graphs to be able to control the distances that the ES gives out, not as an exercise in futility.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Dropping the graph template I made and used last season in case anyone wants to use it.
Attachments
air trajectory graph template.xlsx
(41.89 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
DoctaDave

Post by DoctaDave »

bernard wrote:Dropping the graph template I made and used last season in case anyone wants to use it.
It was very helpful for my recent invite!

Thanks!
sciolylover13
Division: B
State: AL

Post by sciolylover13 »

bernard wrote:Dropping the graph template I made and used last season in case anyone wants to use it.
Wow this will be helpful!! Thanks! :D
2015-2016 events:Chattahoochee/Dodgen/Regionals/State/Nats?
Anatomy and Physiology: 4/////
Green Generation: 6/////
Air Trajectory: NA/////
Crime Busters: 2/////
VansBuilders

Post by VansBuilders »

I have attached my chart. Would appreciate a confirmation that it meets the requirements or thoughts on what needs to change.
chart1.PNG

Return to “Air Trajectory B/C”