Falling Mass (3.a.)

pizzaishellarad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Falling Mass (3.a.)

Post by pizzaishellarad »

What exactly qualifies as a falling mass? For 3.a. it says "The falling mass may consist of multiple discrete parts, which together count as the total mass." When it says that, would a weight swinging sideways down (kind of like a playground swing) to a target be considered "falling" mass?
tis i, hilary
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Falling Mass (3.a.)

Post by windu34 »

pizzaishellarad wrote:What exactly qualifies as a falling mass? For 3.a. it says "The falling mass may consist of multiple discrete parts, which together count as the total mass." When it says that, would a weight swinging sideways down (kind of like a playground swing) to a target be considered "falling" mass?
Yes. Anything that has potential energy that starts at a specific height (mgh) and is used to convert to kinetic energy is considered a falling mass.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

And I'll add that anything attached to the swing with non-nominal mass that decrease in potential energy and provides launch energy (e.g. rods, etc.) should be included in the weight.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
SOCoach
Been thanked: 0

Post by SOCoach »

Can the students have multiple masses if none of them are greater than 5 kg? My students want to used different weights to hit different distances . . . I'd assume they have to impound all the weights which is fine, but I wanted to make sure multiple weights were legal.
SenseiSushi
Division: C
State: PA

Post by SenseiSushi »

SOCoach wrote:Can the students have multiple masses if none of them are greater than 5 kg? My students want to used different weights to hit different distances . . . I'd assume they have to impound all the weights which is fine, but I wanted to make sure multiple weights were legal.
The rules manual says: "The falling mass may consist of multiple discrete parts, which together count as the total mass."
Userpage
2014 States: R&M-4th, Sounds of Music-5th
2015 States: Crime Busters-2nd, Green Gen-2nd
2015 Nationals: Green Generation-1st
2015 Swap Meet: Cheese Hat
2016 States: Green Gen-1st, Exp Des-5th, Scrambler-6th
2016 Nationals: Green Generation-1st
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

SOCoach wrote:Can the students have multiple masses if none of them are greater than 5 kg? My students want to used different weights to hit different distances . . . I'd assume they have to impound all the weights which is fine, but I wanted to make sure multiple weights were legal.
I think you'll find last year's discussion (http://scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php? ... 78#p267108) on this topic helpful, though of course rules from previous seasons do not necessarily apply to this year.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Sensei_Sushi wrote:
The rules manual says: "The falling mass may consist of multiple discrete parts, which together count as the total mass."
Also regarding this rule and how it relates to your question, it seems like the total mass of all of the masses must be less than 5 kg, rather than the individual masses like you asked.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “Air Trajectory B/C”