Lasers

AllenWang314
Division: C
State: MA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Lasers

Post by AllenWang314 »

What lasers are allowed in the competition? My team was deciding to use a laser to create an aiming mechanism,

would this laser be too powerful:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A6M ... ge_o04_s00
Without geometry, life would be pointless.

National Medals: 2017 Forensics 2nd, ...
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Lasers

Post by chalker »

Please review the official SO Laser policy: https://www.soinc.org/lasers

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
nxtscholar
State: NJ

Post by nxtscholar »

A caveat: I always hold the opinion that lasers and optical sights, unless mounted on and aligned perfectly, hold little value in helping to aim to the point you're no better off than just using your eyes.
DoctaDave
State: CA

Post by DoctaDave »

Mounting a laser is very easy. Just use some picatinny rails which can be bought for very cheap. They can also be calibrated very easily with the wind and elevation adjustments provided on most lasers.

The two main advantages of using a laser are consistency and speed. Aiming is as simple as flipping on a switch so you don't have to second guess yourself, or if you are busy during the block, you can have your partner or another teammate run the event without any trouble where aiming "by eye" would vary from person to person or experience with the device. Speed is pretty self explanatory, just flip a switch and line up the dot.

Considering pistol lasers can be bought for 12$ on amazon, I would say they are definitely worth it.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

DoctaDave wrote:Mounting a laser is very easy. Just use some picatinny rails which can be bought for very cheap. They can also be calibrated very easily with the wind and elevation adjustments provided on most lasers.

The two main advantages of using a laser are consistency and speed. Aiming is as simple as flipping on a switch so you don't have to second guess yourself, or if you are busy during the block, you can have your partner or another teammate run the event without any trouble where aiming "by eye" would vary from person to person or experience with the device. Speed is pretty self explanatory, just flip a switch and line up the dot.

Considering pistol lasers can be bought for 12$ on amazon, I would say they are definitely worth it.
Great approach to laser mounting. With farther targets, a one degree difference in the laser's positioning can result in a launch far from your intended location (assuming your device is consistent). So a consistently placed laser is wanted. And agree completely about speed and consistency.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ »

I considered using a laser for this event, but there is no target/reference point/line. For example, in electric vehicle you always have an 8.5 meter a .5 meter line and the target point, but in this event you only have tb e target point, which will be surrounded by sand so I doubt the ES will let you place a target on it.
Innovation =/= success
Phys1cs
State: MD

Post by Phys1cs »

Bazinga+ wrote:I considered using a laser for this event, but there is no target/reference point/line. For example, in electric vehicle you always have an 8.5 meter a .5 meter line and the target point, but in this event you only have tb e target point, which will be surrounded by sand so I doubt the ES will let you place a target on it.
We use our laser more for aiming at the off center target/bucket. We can hit the bucket with the laser to make sure the machine is centered to the bucket. The far target that's off center we use the laser to make sure the machine is aimed at the line of sight of the target. It hits sand, yes, but we know our machine is in line if the laser just the same line as that of the target.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Bazinga+ wrote:I considered using a laser for this event, but there is no target/reference point/line. For example, in electric vehicle you always have an 8.5 meter a .5 meter line and the target point, but in this event you only have tb e target point, which will be surrounded by sand so I doubt the ES will let you place a target on it.
Good point--our tournaments run this event in a gym with a large tarp covering the ground. It shifts around slightly during the day, gets wrinkles, etc. But with a laser it is still workable. You'll orient your device, so the distance is correct. If the left-right angle is off, that's ok since you can rotate the device and align the laser to the target (for the close/far targets this can be done by holding a sheet of paper over the target--but without touching the target since that would violate competition parameters).
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
DoctaDave
State: CA

Post by DoctaDave »

With the elevation adjustment, you can change the angle that the laser points to the ground so the laser points exactly on the target even if its on the ground. The elevation adjustment is just turning a small hex screw so its quick to adjust. I have found that the elevation adjustment on my laser is very consistent and does not shift the beam to the left or the right. There is a separate windage adjustment on the laser that allows the beam to be shifted to the right and left.
watermydoing14

Post by watermydoing14 »

Has anyone found a laser that complies with soinc laser policy AND has a safety label that designates the class the laser is in? I'm having trouble finding one that meets both requirements, an amazon link or something similar would be appreciated
2013~Designer Genes~Disease Detectives~Forensics~Remote Sensing
2014~Anatomy~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2015~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2016~Air Trajectory~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Protein Modeling~Robot Arm~Wright Stuff
Interlake High School
GO SAINTS!

Return to “Air Trajectory B/C”