Is a release mechanism required

Dave Hasse
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Is a release mechanism required

Post by Dave Hasse »

I am the state event coordinator, and I want to poll to see if my interpretation of the rules is what is being broadly followed. In Delaware, there are no regionals, so this is a one shot.

A string that is attached to the weight cannot extend outside the box. In other words, the students may not hold a string that is directly attached to the weight.

Last year, about 1/2 of the C devices tier 2ed on this violation, but the rule changes make this slightly less concrete.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Is a release mechanism required

Post by bernard »

Dave Hasse wrote:I am the state event coordinator, and I want to poll to see if my interpretation of the rules is what is being broadly followed. In Delaware, there are no regionals, so this is a one shot.

A string that is attached to the weight cannot extend outside the box. In other words, the students may not hold a string that is directly attached to the weight.

Last year, about 1/2 of the C devices tier 2ed on this violation, but the rule changes make this slightly less concrete.
L̶o̶o̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶r̶u̶l̶e̶ ̶3̶.̶e̶.̶:̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶t̶t̶a̶c̶h̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶s̶s̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶e̶x̶t̶e̶n̶d̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶a̶u̶n̶c̶h̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶a̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶7̶5̶ ̶c̶m̶ ̶a̶w̶a̶y̶ ̶(̶g̶i̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶l̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶e̶n̶o̶u̶g̶h̶)̶.̶ ̶"̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶r̶i̶g̶g̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶d̶e̶v̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶s̶i̶d̶e̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶e̶v̶i̶c̶e̶"̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶d̶i̶f̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶r̶i̶g̶g̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶d̶e̶v̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶e̶v̶i̶c̶e̶.̶
Last edited by bernard on February 27th, 2016, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: See the following post.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
sci_guy

Post by sci_guy »

There is an FAQ posted that addresses your question:

2016-02-20 08:39 Can the triggering device be a rope permanently attached to the mass meaning it cannot detach from the mass?

No, the triggering device separates itself from the launch device. Any parts remaining that are attached to the launching device after a shot are considered part of the launching device and must follow Rule 4c.

Note: this FAQ has changed; please see the national website for the updated response.
Last edited by bernard on March 23rd, 2016, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added note regarding updated FAQ.
laneyoung
Division: B
State: IL

Post by laneyoung »

At some point recently (no date's attached) they issued a revised FAQ, allowing the string to be attached.
Illinois Arbitrator
Illinois Elementary Science Olympiad Committee
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Attached the updated FAQ. Thanks laneyoung for the notice.
Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 2.34.54 PM.png
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs

Return to “Air Trajectory B/C”