Scoring Penalties at Nationals

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Scoring Penalties at Nationals

Post by windu34 »

First off let me reiterate what many have already stated: Nationals was overall one of the peaks of my life and was very well run IMO.
While I had a series of penalties that incurred on my launches, two of which that were completely my fault and I deserved, I did incur one penalty that I would like to bring to the attention to Chalker and any of the other rules committee members active on the forums.
My team, when aiming the laser, touched the target slightly with his finger and after our launch, we were informed of a 100 point penalty due to the following segment from the Air Trajectory Supervisor checklist that is stated as follows: "4.h. Team does not touch targets"
Looking at the rules specifically in section 5 a-e titled "Penalties", there is no specified penalty for touching the targets as specified in the checklist.
Can someone (Chalker) attempt to explain this to me?
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Scoring Penalties at Nationals

Post by chalker »

windu34 wrote:First off let me reiterate what many have already stated: Nationals was overall one of the peaks of my life and was very well run IMO.
While I had a series of penalties that incurred on my launches, two of which that were completely my fault and I deserved, I did incur one penalty that I would like to bring to the attention to Chalker and any of the other rules committee members active on the forums.
My team, when aiming the laser, touched the target slightly with his finger and after our launch, we were informed of a 100 point penalty due to the following segment from the Air Trajectory Supervisor checklist that is stated as follows: "4.h. Team does not touch targets"
Looking at the rules specifically in section 5 a-e titled "Penalties", there is no specified penalty for touching the targets as specified in the checklist.
Can someone (Chalker) attempt to explain this to me?
This was appealed by several teams and the arbitration committee decided to reverse the penalty for all teams that were penalized for incidental contact of the target.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Return to “Air Trajectory B/C”