Electric Vehicle C

HandsFreeCookieDunk
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Electric Vehicle C

Post by HandsFreeCookieDunk » January 19th, 2016, 4:44 am

I just wanted to put this on here in case anyone hasn't seen it yet, because it seems to go against what people were saying earlier.

https://www.soinc.org/node/1725

"Batteries used for non-propulsion purposes would not count toward the maximum number of batteries in 2.c. Anything contributing to controlling the motor would be considered to be contributing to propulsion."

Sounds to me that power for a microcontroller DOES need to come from the 9V maximum.

InfiniCuber
State: IN

Post by InfiniCuber » January 19th, 2016, 5:17 am

HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:I just wanted to put this on here in case anyone hasn't seen it yet, because it seems to go against what people were saying earlier.

https://www.soinc.org/node/1725

"Batteries used for non-propulsion purposes would not count toward the maximum number of batteries in 2.c. Anything contributing to controlling the motor would be considered to be contributing to propulsion."

Sounds to me that power for a microcontroller DOES need to come from the 9V maximum.
I had suspected this for a while because of the wording of the rules...but now it's a reality. I've been to two invites and neither has had a problem with it, but im sure state and later nationals will...
This causes many more problems than I would like...
Scioly isn't a club, or an organization. It is a lifestyle.
~Munster High School Science Olympiad Captain 2016~

HandsFreeCookieDunk
State: PA

Post by HandsFreeCookieDunk » January 19th, 2016, 6:06 am

Does this mean the brushless motor-arduino combo is now dead? With the amount of voltage the arduino is going to use, there's not much left for the motor. As we saw in that other thread, even if you step up the voltage, it messes with the ESC. Using an arduino is suddenly a lot more difficult.

InfiniCuber

Post by InfiniCuber » January 19th, 2016, 7:00 am

HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:Does this mean the brushless motor-arduino combo is now dead? With the amount of voltage the arduino is going to use, there's not much left for the motor. As we saw in that other thread, even if you step up the voltage, it messes with the ESC. Using an arduino is suddenly a lot more difficult.
Exactly. Splitting it would just be a pain. It would be possible but a pain nonetheless. In my opinion it's kind of a weird if not dumb rule, but we have to deal with it.

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 » January 19th, 2016, 8:25 am

InfiniCuber wrote:
HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:Does this mean the brushless motor-arduino combo is now dead? With the amount of voltage the arduino is going to use, there's not much left for the motor. As we saw in that other thread, even if you step up the voltage, it messes with the ESC. Using an arduino is suddenly a lot more difficult.
Exactly. Splitting it would just be a pain. It would be possible but a pain nonetheless. In my opinion it's kind of a weird if not dumb rule, but we have to deal with it.
Agreed it is a dumb rule, but this just challenges us to find ways around it
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ » January 19th, 2016, 9:16 am

windu34 wrote:
InfiniCuber wrote:
Agreed it is a dumb rule, but this just challenges us to find ways around it
Why not just use the ESC's battery elimination circuit (BEC) to power it? I don't see the problem here.
Innovation =/= success

cifutielu
State: IL

Post by cifutielu » January 21st, 2016, 9:00 am

What are the intervals at the invites? 1 meter or 0.5 meters?

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 » January 21st, 2016, 9:07 am

cifutielu wrote:What are the intervals at the invites? 1 meter or 0.5 meters?
If the invite is being run like a regional, then .5m, but others can be run differently
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder » January 21st, 2016, 7:04 pm

Bazinga+ wrote: Why not just use the ESC's battery elimination circuit (BEC) to power it? I don't see the problem here.
^ Exactly this. I don't have a copy of the rules in front of me, but I don't see why you can't power the motor with the proper battery and feed the arduino from that? If it's less than 12v or so just hook it up to the 'VIN' pin..
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown

InfiniCuber

Post by InfiniCuber » January 21st, 2016, 9:06 pm

iwonder wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote: Why not just use the ESC's battery elimination circuit (BEC) to power it? I don't see the problem here.
^ Exactly this. I don't have a copy of the rules in front of me, but I don't see why you can't power the motor with the proper battery and feed the arduino from that? If it's less than 12v or so just hook it up to the 'VIN' pin..
I was simply concerned because I'm not using an ESC, im not even using a dc or brushless motor. I managed to get it to work, but it was still annoying and it still is with the faster drain from the batter than usual. Nothing that can't be accounted for easily, but it is a bit of an...well a slight annoyance :P

Return to “Electric Vehicle C”