Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Scores?

Post by windu34 »

Bazinga+ wrote:
windu34 wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote:Getting a time of 1.7-1.9 and 2-4 cm accuracy.
Getting a time of 1.6-1.8 and 1-3 cm accuracy
dang
Not really that much different than your scores. Places will be determined most likely by luck IMO
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Bazinga+ »

windu34 wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote:
windu34 wrote: Getting a time of 1.6-1.8 and 1-3 cm accuracy
dang
Not really that much different than your scores. Places will be determined most likely by luck IMO
Yeah individual placements would. From what I've been seeing I think a score of 25 should place and a score of like 30 would get top 10.
Innovation =/= success
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Bazinga+ wrote:
windu34 wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote: dang
Yeah individual placements would. From what I've been seeing I think a score of 25 should place and a score of like 30 would get top 10.
Yeah I agree
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Have you heard of any other sub-20 scores besides Mentor?
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Bazinga+ »

windu34 wrote:Have you heard of any other sub-20 scores besides Mentor?
Haven't heard of any going to nationals, there could definitely be a few (because of luck), or maybe not. Its pretty insane how far ahead mentor was in ev of their competitors (beat second by 11 pts), and the low ev scores I have heard of are of people not going to nats.
Innovation =/= success
Ed63

Post by Ed63 »

At the Michigan state tournament we finished 3rd with a score of 24.0. 2nd place was 23.? Didn't know the exact score but from my own timer and view it would have been between 23 and 24. 1st place was probably between 18-19. My timer showed 1.55 sec and it looked to only be about 3cm off. The car started at the start line, went back about 3 meters to get a head start, then traveled well past the target and backed up to the target.

Michigan is obviously quite a competitive tournament. Looks like a score of 24 would be 1st at a lot of other state tournaments.

Our car and 2nd place were both pretty simple cars, brushed motors, limit switches (no microcontrollers), start behind the line to get a head start and come to a screeching stop.

But neither us or the teams in 1st and 2nd are going to the National Tournament, don't know the scores of the 2 teams from Michigan that are going to Nationals.
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Bazinga+ »

Ed63 wrote:At the Michigan state tournament we finished 3rd with a score of 24.0. 2nd place was 23.? Didn't know the exact score but from my own timer and view it would have been between 23 and 24. 1st place was probably between 18-19. My timer showed 1.55 sec and it looked to only be about 3cm off. The car started at the start line, went back about 3 meters to get a head start, then traveled well past the target and backed up to the target.

Michigan is obviously quite a competitive tournament. Looks like a score of 24 would be 1st at a lot of other state tournaments.

Our car and 2nd place were both pretty simple cars, brushed motors, limit switches (no microcontrollers), start behind the line to get a head start and come to a screeching stop.

But neither us or the teams in 1st and 2nd are going to the National Tournament, don't know the scores of the 2 teams from Michigan that are going to Nationals.
Its not legal to go back 3 meters, maximum you can go back is one meter behind the line (had a nationals vehicle event supervisor confirmed this).
Innovation =/= success
retired1

Post by retired1 »

Probably need to change this event title next year to electronic vehicle .
Looking at the scores claimed at this site. the national contest is going to be tight for all of the medal winners.
To open the contest up for next year, I would propose that backing up of the vehicle would be forbidden.
This would put a great premium on how fast you could go and still come close to the target point VS how well you can program the microcontroller(s).
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Bazinga+ »

retired1 wrote:Probably need to change this event title next year to electronic vehicle .
Looking at the scores claimed at this site. the national contest is going to be tight for all of the medal winners.
To open the contest up for next year, I would propose that backing up of the vehicle would be forbidden.
This would put a great premium on how fast you could go and still come close to the target point VS how well you can program the microcontroller(s).
After spending hours and hours on this event, I would like to disagree. While the competition will be tight, people will no doubt get the place they deserve. Look at mentor's car, they were getting consistent scores under 20 and (if they went to nationals) would definitely place top 2 in my opinion. This just shows that with more effort or a better design one can guarantee a high placing at nationals. I also think that there's nothing wrong with having a majority of the competition be about programming the arduino, since (and I say this as someone who had almost 0 programming experience before the event) even experience programmers have to figure out how to control the encoders and motors (isn't as easy as it sounds) and competitors also first need to build a high quality vehicle for it to be good. This event is truly about perfection and reaching the physical limits of a run.
Also, do realize that every year the car events are extremely close, with just a few cm often dividing first from 6th. And I honestly think this year it might actually be a wider point distribution in the top.
Innovation =/= success
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Bazinga+ wrote:
retired1 wrote:Probably need to change this event title next year to electronic vehicle .
After spending hours and hours on this event, I would like to disagree. While the competition will be tight, people will no doubt get the place they deserve. Look at mentor's car, they were getting consistent scores under 20 and (if they went to nationals) would definitely place top 2 in my opinion. This just shows that with more effort or a better design one can guarantee a high placing at nationals. I also think that there's nothing wrong with having a majority of the competition be about programming the arduino, since (and I say this as someone who had almost 0 programming experience before the event) even experience programmers have to figure out how to control the encoders and motors (isn't as easy as it sounds) and competitors also first need to build a high quality vehicle for it to be good. This event is truly about perfection and reaching the physical limits of a run.
Also, do realize that every year the car events are extremely close, with just a few cm often dividing first from 6th. And I honestly think this year it might actually be a wider point distribution in the top.
I have to agree with Bazinga. After seeing many of the top teams including Solon and Troy running their vehicles this morning, I found their problems are no different than my own. The backing up of vehicles is actually extremely easy to program. In fact, most of the programming is quite simplistic. The hard part of this event is as Bazinga put it: finding that balance of how fast and how hard you can push your vehicle before the physical limitations effect it.

Return to “Electric Vehicle C”