Fan Power?

SelEag
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Fan Power?

Post by SelEag »

As best I can tell, nothing in the rules that requires power to come directly from the wheels, and I was fiddling around with the idea of a fan cart. The way I see it, the fan should eliminate (or nearly eliminate) the need for gearing and might also serve as partial breaking/direction control. I'm pretty new on this event and I have some questions:
1) Is this even legal?
2) Does this sound like a viable/doable/executable/useful idea?
3) Has anyone tried it or seen it in the past, and if so how was it executed (fan pushing or pulling, etc.) and what were the results like?

Thanks! :)
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Fan Power?

Post by windu34 »

SelEag wrote:As best I can tell, nothing in the rules that requires power to come directly from the wheels, and I was fiddling around with the idea of a fan cart. The way I see it, the fan should eliminate (or nearly eliminate) the need for gearing and might also serve as partial breaking/direction control. I'm pretty new on this event and I have some questions:
1) Is this even legal?
3) Has anyone tried it or seen it in the past, and if so how was it executed (fan pushing or pulling, etc.) and what were the results like?u

Unless you use a really high powered fan,(brushless) I doubt your vehicle will even move
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
GoldenKnight1
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by GoldenKnight1 »

windu34 wrote:
SelEag wrote:As best I can tell, nothing in the rules that requires power to come directly from the wheels, and I was fiddling around with the idea of a fan cart. The way I see it, the fan should eliminate (or nearly eliminate) the need for gearing and might also serve as partial breaking/direction control. I'm pretty new on this event and I have some questions:
1) Is this even legal?
3) Has anyone tried it or seen it in the past, and if so how was it executed (fan pushing or pulling, etc.) and what were the results like?u

Unless you use a really high powered fan,(brushless) I doubt your vehicle will even move
I have not seen one at competition but it would certainly work. As long as the power moving the blades is coming from the allowed batteries it sounds legal. This is a common physics type of demonstration equipment. Image
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by Bazinga+ »

1) Is this even legal?
3) Has anyone tried it or seen it in the past, and if so how was it executed (fan pushing or pulling, etc.) and what were the results like?

sorry but this seems like a terrible idea. first of all, if you want the vehicle to move fast you definitely need to have a pretty heavy motor for the turbine, and a heavy motor is pretty hard to move with just air movement. But the biggest problem here is that in regular cars you have the mechanical energy of the motor going DIRECTLY to the car (well loss to friction and slipping excluded, but those are small energy expenditures), while with a fan you are wasting energy on moving the air.
Innovation =/= success

Return to “Electric Vehicle C”