alignment

Ed63
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

alignment

Post by Ed63 »

What is everyone using for aiming? laser? Scope?

I was thinking about using some type of jig to align the vehicle. Imaging U-shaped rails that would keep the car going straight for a few centimeters before it crossed the starting line. I know this isn't the forum for official rules clarifications. But wanted to know if you thought this would be illegal. I've listed the rules I think come into play.

Item 2j. The only parts of the vehicle that are allowed to contact the floor during the run are the wheels/treads and
those that are already in contact with the floor in the ready-to-run position. Piece(s) falling from the vehicle
result in a construction violation.

This jig would not be part of the vehicle, just an aiming device

Item 4d. In the ready-to-run configuration, teams must place the vehicle anywhere behind the Starting Line. No part
of the vehicle can be further than 1.00 m behind the Starting Line. The vehicle must remain behind the
Starting Line without being touched.

I could start up to 1.0m back to get a 'running start'

Item 4h.Sighting, aiming and guiding devices placed on the track are permitted but must be removed before the
vehicle begins its run. Aligning and sighting devices mounted on the vehicle may be removed at the team’s
discretion prior to each run.

This aiming device would not be on the track, its behind the track starting line.
samlan16
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: alignment

Post by samlan16 »

We are using a laser and a straightedge for alignment, but it's honestly not too reliable.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
HandsFreeCookieDunk
Division: C
State: PA

Post by HandsFreeCookieDunk »

To answer the legality question, I think the last one that you posted probably does outlaw such a device as the one you are suggesting, being that I doubt that that the organizers will consider there to be a difference between the track and the area before the starting line. As for our alignment, we just went with a laser too.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

In my opinion that wouldn't be legal... What's wrong with pistol sights on the vehicle? Honestly with a bit of practice they're more than accurate enough over 10m.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown

Return to “Electric Vehicle C”