Threshold for a competitive time

__ks_ks__
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: January 29th, 2016, 4:22 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Threshold for a competitive time

Post by __ks_ks__ » January 29th, 2016, 4:56 pm

What would be considered a competitive time for a regional competition?

We currently are able to get our car going at 1 meter/s top.

User avatar
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Posts: 1366
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Threshold for a competitive time

Post by windu34 » January 29th, 2016, 5:38 pm

__ks_ks__ wrote:What would be considered a competitive time for a regional competition?

We currently are able to get our car going at 1 meter/s top.
Depends on your regional. Id say top 3, your time should be at least 3 seconds or faster
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

User avatar
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 383
Joined: March 8th, 2014, 7:10 am
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Threshold for a competitive time

Post by Bazinga+ » January 29th, 2016, 7:50 pm

windu34 wrote:
__ks_ks__ wrote:What would be considered a competitive time for a regional competition?

We currently are able to get our car going at 1 meter/s top.
Depends on your regional. Id say top 3, your time should be at least 3 seconds or faster
Which Regionals are you at?! I\d say most regionals as long as you have an accurate car (5-15 cm) and a time less than 5 you are practically guaranteed top 3. At states i'd say top 3 will have times of 3 seconds to 2.5 seconds and be accurate.
Innovation =/= success

User avatar
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Posts: 1366
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Threshold for a competitive time

Post by windu34 » January 29th, 2016, 8:16 pm

Bazinga+ wrote:
windu34 wrote:
__ks_ks__ wrote:What would be considered a competitive time for a regional competition?

We currently are able to get our car going at 1 meter/s top.
Depends on your regional. Id say top 3, your time should be at least 3 seconds or faster
Which Regionals are you at?! I\d say most regionals as long as you have an accurate car (5-15 cm) and a time less than 5 you are practically guaranteed top 3. At states i'd say top 3 will have times of 3 seconds to 2.5 seconds and be accurate.
Maybe for your state, but Id disagree. Guaranteed top 3 will definitely require a time under 3 seconds and accuracy of about 0-15cm for most regionals/less competitive states
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

User avatar
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 383
Joined: March 8th, 2014, 7:10 am
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Threshold for a competitive time

Post by Bazinga+ » January 30th, 2016, 4:26 pm

windu34 wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote:
windu34 wrote: Depends on your regional. Id say top 3, your time should be at least 3 seconds or faster
Which Regionals are you at?! I\d say most regionals as long as you have an accurate car (5-15 cm) and a time less than 5 you are practically guaranteed top 3. At states i'd say top 3 will have times of 3 seconds to 2.5 seconds and be accurate.
Maybe for your state, but Id disagree. Guaranteed top 3 will definitely require a time under 3 seconds and accuracy of about 0-15cm for most regionals/less competitive states
If thats so, then this events isn't very well designed. If top 3 at regionals are that good, that leaves very little room for improvement. Like if what you say is true, then most of the cars at states will have 2-3 sec times with 0-15 cm accuracy, so placements will be determined by luck for the most part. Now imagine nationals... 30 cars all faster than 2.5 cm. The winning car is most likely going to be some punk that has an insanely fast (<1 sec) but imprecise car and just gets lucky by getting right on the dot. Pretty sad imo.
Innovation =/= success

User avatar
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Posts: 1366
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Threshold for a competitive time

Post by windu34 » January 30th, 2016, 4:39 pm

Bazinga+ wrote:
windu34 wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote: Which Regionals are you at?! I\d say most regionals as long as you have an accurate car (5-15 cm) and a time less than 5 you are practically guaranteed top 3. At states i'd say top 3 will have times of 3 seconds to 2.5 seconds and be accurate.
Maybe for your state, but Id disagree. Guaranteed top 3 will definitely require a time under 3 seconds and accuracy of about 0-15cm for most regionals/less competitive states
If thats so, then this events isn't very well designed. If top 3 at regionals are that good, that leaves very little room for improvement. Like if what you say is true, then most of the cars at states will have 2-3 sec times with 0-15 cm accuracy, so placements will be determined by luck for the most part. Now imagine nationals... 30 cars all faster than 2.5 cm. The winning car is most likely going to be some punk that has an insanely fast (<1 sec) but imprecise car and just gets lucky by getting right on the dot. Pretty sad imo.
I would agree with everything you just said. I liked the 2008-2009 rules better where it came down to adjusting/predicting your time because it lead to more innovative designs rather than brushless motors and high precision rotary encoders
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

User avatar
mnoga
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: March 19th, 2015, 6:12 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Threshold for a competitive time

Post by mnoga » February 11th, 2016, 10:07 am

We have scored approximately 34 and 32 at the Mira Loma and Troy invitationals finishing 2nd and 3rd respectively. Our car is running at about 2.7 seconds with typical accuracy of around 7 (on the 2nd run). We have been using a 4.8V battery pack with 4 cells. For the Silicon Valley regional (coming in March) we will reduce time by using either a 6.0 or 7.2V battery pack. We may switch up tires to reduce skid a bit also. We are hoping to score in the 20's.

User avatar
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 383
Joined: March 8th, 2014, 7:10 am
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Threshold for a competitive time

Post by Bazinga+ » February 11th, 2016, 2:50 pm

Just an interesting thing to note, assuming the highest coefficient of friction possible with the gym floor is about .5 (which is probably an over approximation imo). if you start speeding up at the maximum accelleration (without slipping) 1 meter before the starting line, and then start slowing down exactly at 8.5 meters, the time will be 1.27 second, so BEST POSSIBLE score is 12.7 (unless you power it with means other than direct action on the axle like a fan, but I'm not sure how well that would work). Doubt anyone will get close, but thought it was worth mentioning.
Innovation =/= success

A Person
Member
Member
Posts: 185
Joined: July 18th, 2010, 12:34 pm
Division: Grad
State: KY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Threshold for a competitive time

Post by A Person » February 11th, 2016, 4:14 pm

Bazinga+ wrote:Just an interesting thing to note, assuming the highest coefficient of friction possible with the gym floor is about .5 (which is probably an over approximation imo). if you start speeding up at the maximum accelleration (without slipping) 1 meter before the starting line, and then start slowing down exactly at 8.5 meters, the time will be 1.27 second, so BEST POSSIBLE score is 12.7 (unless you power it with means other than direct action on the axle like a fan, but I'm not sure how well that would work). Doubt anyone will get close, but thought it was worth mentioning.
You know, there was that one guy asking about a fan for the car. With that, I assume he could get even faster, as silly as it is.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 1115
Joined: May 10th, 2011, 8:25 pm
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Threshold for a competitive time

Post by iwonder » February 11th, 2016, 8:38 pm

Yeah, sure, there's a reason jet dragsters are incredibly fast, but I assume it's very very hard to make a highly efficient and symmetric/reversible way to move air that fast. He might be able to speed up to that point but he couldn't slow back down as fast.

What you need to do is devise a way to gain frictional force without increasing mass :P

-5 points to anyone whose description of their solution involves the term 'gravitational waves'.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown

Locked

Return to “Electric Vehicle C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest