Post by unwoundmouse »

seem to be having a similar issue with my brushed motor and ESC
Brushed motor or brushless?
turb0lag
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Arduino+Brushless Motor Problem

Post by turb0lag »

It is brushed. Is it possible that I am triggering my ESC's low voltage mode as my battery may have a low discharge capacity and is not up to the task of running the motor at full throttle?
unwoundmouse

Post by unwoundmouse »

Do you have more information? eg what motor esc battery are you using, what is the weight of the vehicle, etc
turb0lag

Post by turb0lag »

unwoundmouse wrote:Do you have more information? eg what motor esc battery are you using, what is the weight of the vehicle, etc
Yes, I should have posted that to begin with. The motor is a Traxxas Titan 12T 550 size and the ESC is a Hobbywing Quicrun 1060. The battery is a Tenergy 7.2 Volt NiMH 6 Cell. I think I may be having brownouts with the Arduino as more load is placed on the vehicle. This would cause the Arduino to reset and re-run the program. I am going to try and power the Arduino seperately and see if that can solve my issue. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help and replies during the Summer!
unwoundmouse

Post by unwoundmouse »

Based on the symptoms you're currently having, I would place my bets on a voltage drop as well. I assume currently you're powering the Arduino with the ESC's built in BEC?
turb0lag

Post by turb0lag »

unwoundmouse wrote:Based on the symptoms you're currently having, I would place my bets on a voltage drop as well. I assume currently you're powering the Arduino with the ESC's built in BEC?
Yep, I was powering the Arduino with the BEC. I am now powering the Arduino with a 9V battery and everything is functioning properly.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

The ESC should have an optional voltage cut off which you need to turn "off". Since the rules state that the Arduino controlling the motor must be powered by the main battery supply, attach separate leads to the battery and run them through a voltage regulator and then to the Arduino. My vehicle from nationals used this kind of work-around and it fixed the Arduino-resetting problem. My vehicle is posted on the best of nationals page if you need a visual
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
turb0lag

Post by turb0lag »

windu34 wrote:The ESC should have an optional voltage cut off which you need to turn "off". Since the rules state that the Arduino controlling the motor must be powered by the main battery supply, attach separate leads to the battery and run them through a voltage regulator and then to the Arduino. My vehicle from nationals used this kind of work-around and it fixed the Arduino-resetting problem. My vehicle is posted on the best of nationals page if you need a visual
Thanks for the reply. I found the rules clarifications on the Soinc website and see that it says that a battery may be used to power the motor, and another battery may be used to power an Arduino. Here is the link for this clarification: https://www.soinc.org/node/1767

Does this mean that I can power my Arduino from a separate power source (9V battery), and power the motor with a different power source?

Thanks!
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

turb0lag wrote:
windu34 wrote:The ESC should have an optional voltage cut off which you need to turn "off". Since the rules state that the Arduino controlling the motor must be powered by the main battery supply, attach separate leads to the battery and run them through a voltage regulator and then to the Arduino. My vehicle from nationals used this kind of work-around and it fixed the Arduino-resetting problem. My vehicle is posted on the best of nationals page if you need a visual
Thanks for the reply. I found the rules clarifications on the Soinc website and see that it says that a battery may be used to power the motor, and another battery may be used to power an Arduino. Here is the link for this clarification: https://www.soinc.org/node/1767

Does this mean that I can power my Arduino from a separate power source (9V battery), and power the motor with a different power source?

Thanks!
It seems like that would be legal, yes. I was not aware of this clarification before nationals so I had to do it the harder way, but either way, it should not effect your vehicles performance.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
turb0lag

Post by turb0lag »

windu34 wrote:
turb0lag wrote:

Thanks!
It seems like that would be legal, yes. I was not aware of this clarification before nationals so I had to do it the harder way, but either way, it should not effect your vehicles performance.
Ok, that's great. Thanks for the help!

Return to “Electric Vehicle C”