Turning/Curving Causes

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Turning/Curving Causes

Post by windu34 »

What are some reasons for my vehicle curving?
I am confident that I built my vehicle perfectly straight and symmetrical seeing as how I only used 3D printed parts and carbon fiber for the frame.
How important is equal weight distribution?
Should the wheels be equidistant from the center of the vehicle? Would it affect the vehicle if they were offset?
While the curvature is most significant at high speeds, I do notice some curving at lower speeds.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Turning/Curving Causes

Post by Bazinga+ »

windu34 wrote:What are some reasons for my vehicle curving?
I am confident that I built my vehicle perfectly straight and symmetrical seeing as how I only used 3D printed parts and carbon fiber for the frame.
Should the wheels be equidistant from the center of the vehicle? Would it affect the vehicle if they were offset?
While the curvature is most significant at high speeds, I do notice some curving at lower speeds.
I would make adjustable steering. Also at high speeds you need to clean the floor and your wheels before almost ever run. If your car still turns after that, and still turns even after you perfectly adjusted the steering, then that means that you are probably accelerating way too fast, causing unpredictable slipping.
Innovation =/= success
JonB
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: FL

Post by JonB »

windu34 wrote:What are some reasons for my vehicle curving?

I am going to suggest torque steer.
samlan16
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

Hmm... did you check that your wheels are aligned and your axles are straight? I had some curving problems earlier and found that adding some small weights to one wheel fixed it.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
Private Wang Fire
State: OH
Been thanked: 0

Post by Private Wang Fire »

samlan16 wrote:Hmm... did you check that your wheels are aligned and your axles are straight? I had some curving problems earlier and found that adding some small weights to one wheel fixed it.
Did you literally put weights on the wheel? Did that not affect the wheel balance at all?
MASON HIGH SCHOOL '18
samlan16
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

Private Wang Fire wrote:
samlan16 wrote:Hmm... did you check that your wheels are aligned and your axles are straight? I had some curving problems earlier and found that adding some small weights to one wheel fixed it.
Did you literally put weights on the wheel? Did that not affect the wheel balance at all?
Of course! This is actually a normal thing that you do with a real car to ensure that 1) the tires do not wear down prematurely and 2) there are no vibrations that could distract the driver, impact performance, etc. (and, in the case of EV, could result in undesired curvature) Pretty much the concept is to make the moments of inertia of each wheel equal without completely reorienting the wheels. It looks like
[img]https://i.imgur.com/DC50cJQ.png[/img]

so to scale it down for an EV, you could use some small lengths of wire or paper clips.

But you should still try to align your wheels before resorting to wheel weights.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.

Return to “Electric Vehicle C”