EV Scores at Nationals

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

EV Scores at Nationals

Post by windu34 »

What scores are you guys predicting for the top 1-6?
I'm predicting a 1.5 second run with 1cm off from the target for first (score of about 16)
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: EV Scores at Nationals

Post by Bazinga+ »

I dont think the winning score will be quite that low because the uncertainty at that speed is huge (not to mention 2 dimensional), so first will probably be a very fast car (1.6 sec) which is usually accurate to like 10-15 cm which gets like 3-5 cm off, so around 20 pts. It honestly comes down to luck. I'm thinking that cars with scores under 25-30 will medal, or at least get top 10.
Innovation =/= success
gh
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by gh »

Under ideal conditions:
  • 9 meters distance
  • wheels with µ = 1.0 tires
  • motor(s) supplying maximum necessary torque from zero to top vehicle speed
Your device would accelerate from distance = 0 to 4.5 m at µ * g = 9.8 m/s² then at -9.8 m/s² from distance = 4.5 m to 0 m.

For the first leg:

Both legs combined would be 1.92 seconds. The more astute (or experienced) of you would know that one of my given conditions isn't strictly "ideal."
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” —Sophocles
If you are looking to give help or get help:
[wiki][/wiki] > Forum post > > PM > Email
Don't forget the Image Gallery, the , and the list of Exalted User medals.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

gh wrote:Under ideal conditions:
  • 9 meters distance
Your device would accelerate from distance = 0 to 4.5 m at µ * g = 9.8 m/s² then at -9.8 m/s² from distance = 4.5 m to 0 m.

For the first leg:

Both legs combined would be 1.92 seconds. The more astute (or experienced) of you would know that one of my given conditions isn't strictly "ideal."
who said anything about decelerating before the 8.5m mark?
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

windu34 wrote:
  • 9 meters distance

For the first leg:

For a given symmetric acceleration/deceleration you'd need to go from 'full throttle' to 'full brakes' at the halfway mark. Since the limiting factor in this calculation is the tire grip it's symmetric.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

iwonder wrote:
windu34 wrote:
  • 9 meters distance

For the first leg:

For a given symmetric acceleration/deceleration you'd need to go from 'full throttle' to 'full brakes' at the halfway mark. Since the limiting factor in this calculation is the tire grip it's symmetric.
Rules clarification allows vehicles to go backwards. Just saying.
cantthinkofausername
State: KY

Post by cantthinkofausername »

Bazinga+ wrote:I dont think the winning score will be quite that low because the uncertainty at that speed is huge (not to mention 2 dimensional), so first will probably be a very fast car (1.6 sec) which is usually accurate to like 10-15 cm which gets like 3-5 cm off, so around 20 pts. It honestly comes down to luck. I'm thinking that cars with scores under 25-30 will medal, or at least get top 10.
I would like to argue this. It is completely possible for multiple teams to score sub 20 total scores. I believe Mentor High School is one of the few that have already done this consistently without luck. At Wright State invitational they got a score of .5 cm off and 1.7ish seconds, giving score of 17.5. I have another friend who says he can get 1.5s runs with accuracy of a cm off but I haven't personally seen it. Assuming that mentor hasn't destroyed both of their vehicles and that my friend isn't a liar, that's at least 2 teams that are able to get sub 20 scores and I'm sure at least 4-6 more can and will.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

cantthinkofausername wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote:I dont think the winning score will be quite that low because the uncertainty at that speed is huge (not to mention 2 dimensional), so first will probably be a very fast car (1.6 sec) which is usually accurate to like 10-15 cm which gets like 3-5 cm off, so around 20 pts. It honestly comes down to luck. I'm thinking that cars with scores under 25-30 will medal, or at least get top 10.
I would like to argue this. It is completely possible for multiple teams to score sub 20 total scores. I believe Mentor High School is one of the few that have already done this consistently without luck. At Wright State invitational they got a score of .5 cm off and 1.7ish seconds, giving score of 17.5. I have another friend who says he can get 1.5s runs with accuracy of a cm off but I haven't personally seen it. Assuming that mentor hasn't destroyed both of their vehicles and that my friend isn't a liar, that's at least 2 teams that are able to get sub 20 scores and I'm sure at least 4-6 more can and will.
Agreed
GoldDigger

Post by GoldDigger »

How tf are these teams getting speeds of 1.5 seconds with the 9V power restriction!?
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Bazinga+ »

GoldDigger wrote:How tf are these teams getting speeds of 1.5 seconds with the 9V power restriction!?
The real limit is not 9V, but the traction with the floor hah. Most teams are using 7.2 volt battery PACKS, which can provide much more current than 9V batteries, along with AC motors (Brushless/stepper).
Innovation =/= success

Return to “Electric Vehicle C”