EV Scores at Nationals

GoldDigger
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: March 3rd, 2016, 12:16 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: EV Scores at Nationals

Post by GoldDigger » March 22nd, 2016, 5:05 pm

I'm currently using balloons as my traction, what would be the better bet for traction?

User avatar
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Posts: 1366
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: EV Scores at Nationals

Post by windu34 » March 22nd, 2016, 7:18 pm

GoldDigger wrote:I'm currently using balloons as my traction, what would be the better bet for traction?
Look into different types of tires
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

User avatar
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 383
Joined: March 8th, 2014, 7:10 am
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: EV Scores at Nationals

Post by Bazinga+ » March 22nd, 2016, 8:11 pm

windu34 wrote:
GoldDigger wrote:I'm currently using balloons as my traction, what would be the better bet for traction?
Look into different types of tires
Yes. There are wheels with much higher traction than balloons.
Innovation =/= success

iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 1115
Joined: May 10th, 2011, 8:25 pm
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: EV Scores at Nationals

Post by iwonder » March 22nd, 2016, 8:24 pm

windu34 wrote:Rules clarification allows vehicles to go backwards. Just saying.
Personally, if I were an ES for this I would put a wall 1m after the line. It's an interesting solution but there's no guarantee of space to do it in. Planning on it or making arguments that try to supplant math/physics calculations is just useless.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown

retired1
Member
Member
Posts: 676
Joined: July 25th, 2012, 5:04 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: EV Scores at Nationals

Post by retired1 » March 24th, 2016, 9:29 am

I saw Windu run at FL state event. Absolutely amazing! I timed him at under 2 sec. I have no idea what the electronic scoring was. My timing was not as accurate as it could have been because of a couple of people blocking the view. With unlimited open space beyond the target, he can run a good bit faster, but at some risk. Watching him back up in stages to an exact point blew my mind. I am jealous and would like to see the rule thrown out. I had asked for the FAQ change about batteries. Now I am on the other side. I would like to see one battery only. LIPO's should probably still be off limits because of problems with carrying them on a flight. They could still be shipped ahead of time and sent to the hotel or??
For this year, windu has worked long and hard to achieve these results within the rules. I am sure that there will be a few teams that will also be very competitive.

User avatar
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Posts: 1366
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: EV Scores at Nationals

Post by windu34 » April 11th, 2016, 4:39 am

After seeing the Ohio EV Raw scores in which Mentor place 1st with 19.1 and Centerville was next with ~30.9, any new assumptions? Seeing as how Mentor is the only documented case of achieving a run score of less than 20 points (as far as I know)
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Private Wang Fire
Member
Member
Posts: 100
Joined: June 1st, 2015, 3:43 pm
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: EV Scores at Nationals

Post by Private Wang Fire » April 11th, 2016, 5:37 pm

windu34 wrote:After seeing the Ohio EV Raw scores in which Mentor place 1st with 19.1 and Centerville was next with ~30.9, any new assumptions? Seeing as how Mentor is the only documented case of achieving a run score of less than 20 points (as far as I know)
To place it'll probably still be under a score of around 25, which I could get close to (messed up at states really badly tho) with just a brushed motor...

To be honest with a decent motor and a lot of work, scores under 30 should be fairly easy to achieve, but a sub-twenty score is either really lucky or Mentor's (unless someone else manages - their vehicle is pretty special tho).
MASON HIGH SCHOOL '18

User avatar
ChocolateLove
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: February 9th, 2013, 5:02 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: EV Scores at Nationals

Post by ChocolateLove » April 13th, 2016, 7:08 am

I personally believe that any score 20 points and below will be competitive at nationals. If you are sub-20, I think that you are almost guaranteed to be in the top 10 placements at nationals. However, if I have to say one score that will win 1st place, that score would be 15 points.
Alumni of 2016 Harriton Team

User avatar
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Posts: 1366
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: EV Scores at Nationals

Post by windu34 » April 13th, 2016, 8:20 am

ChocolateLove wrote:I personally believe that any score 20 points and below will be competitive at nationals. If you are sub-20, I think that you are almost guaranteed to be in the top 10 placements at nationals. However, if I have to say one score that will win 1st place, that score would be 15 points.
Agreed. I feel that sub-20 will guarantee staging because I can only realistically imagine there being 0-2 sub-20 scores (seeing as how mentor will not be attending nats)
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

User avatar
ChocolateLove
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: February 9th, 2013, 5:02 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: EV Scores at Nationals

Post by ChocolateLove » April 13th, 2016, 10:35 am

windu34 wrote:
ChocolateLove wrote:I personally believe that any score 20 points and below will be competitive at nationals. If you are sub-20, I think that you are almost guaranteed to be in the top 10 placements at nationals. However, if I have to say one score that will win 1st place, that score would be 15 points.
Agreed. I feel that sub-20 will guarantee staging because I can only realistically imagine there being 0-2 sub-20 scores (seeing as how mentor will not be attending nats)
Windu, do you believe the majority of 'top' teams (those who place between say 15th - 5th), will end up somewhere in the 25-30 point range?
Alumni of 2016 Harriton Team

Locked

Return to “Electric Vehicle C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest