Need help with braking

nitroignika
State: -

Need help with braking

Postby nitroignika » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:04 am

Hello all,

So, I have been doing research on electric vehicles and it has been going well so far. I only have one thing which I am still clueless about and that is braking. I know nothing of braking or how I can do it. Does anyone have any good resources on braking or is anyone a good resource for breaking?

Thanks
~nitroignika
~:33
~ABRHS 2020

windu34
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Need help with braking

Postby windu34 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:11 am

nitroignika wrote:Hello all,

So, I have been doing research on electric vehicles and it has been going well so far. I only have one thing which I am still clueless about and that is braking. I know nothing of braking or how I can do it. Does anyone have any good resources on braking or is anyone a good resource for breaking?

Thanks

Check out the electric vehicle wiki page. Basically you can either go mechanical (wingnut) or electrical (using the motor)
President of Science Olympiad at the University of Florida || Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
SONT 2016: 2nd place in Electric Vehicle || 3rd place in Robot Arm
SONT 2017: 2nd place in Electric Vehicle || 5th place in Invasive Species
Jazzin710@gmail.com
windu34's Userpage

HandsFreeCookieDunk
Division: C
State: PA

Postby HandsFreeCookieDunk » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:05 pm

Thanks

As long as you're using a microcontroller, you're best off using the program to brake rather than engineering a mechanical system. You can be much more precise.

RJohnson
State: OH

Postby RJohnson » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:40 pm

Definitely agree that the best way to go is with microcontroller and optical encoder. Out of curiosity, where did people get their optical encoders from, or did you make them?

Thanks

windu34

Postby windu34 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:31 pm

RJohnson wrote:Definitely agree that the best way to go is with microcontroller and optical encoder. Out of curiosity, where did people get their optical encoders from, or did you make them?

Thanks

Yeah I fabricated mine in our schools optics lab :lol:
President of Science Olympiad at the University of Florida || Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Jazzin710@gmail.com
windu34's Userpage

JonB
Coach
Coach

Postby JonB » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:46 pm

windu34 wrote:
RJohnson wrote:Definitely agree that the best way to go is with microcontroller and optical encoder. Out of curiosity, where did people get their optical encoders from, or did you make them?

Thanks

UCF has a great Optics program (truthfully) if you are interested.

windu34

Postby windu34 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:51 pm

JonB wrote:
windu34 wrote:

Thanks

UCF has a great Optics program (truthfully) if you are interested.

Thanks coach
Jazzin710@gmail.com
windu34's Userpage

nitroignika

Postby nitroignika » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:32 am

HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:

Thanks

As long as you're using a microcontroller, you're best off using the program to brake rather than engineering a mechanical system. You can be much more precise.

Alright thanks for the advice and I will use this for my build but I know nothing about microcontrollers, optical encoders, and how to program them. So does anyone have an resources for where I can read into this a little bit more and maybe somewhere I can see builds using a microcontroller and an optical encoder?

Thanks
~nitroignika
~ABRHS 2020

windu34

Postby windu34 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:07 pm

nitroignika wrote:

Thanks

Alright thanks for the advice and I will use this for my build but I know nothing about microcontrollers, optical encoders, and how to program them. So does anyone have an resources for where I can read into this a little bit more and maybe somewhere I can see builds using a microcontroller and an optical encoder?

Thanks

My electric vehicle from nationals is on the "best of nationals" page on the wiki as well as youtube. There are plenty of intro to Arduino programming books online as pdf's as well as at your local university library
Jazzin710@gmail.com
windu34's Userpage

nitroignika

Postby nitroignika » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:32 pm

Thanks, will do
~nitroignika
~ABRHS 2020

retired1

Postby retired1 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:26 pm

If you are challenged, you can go online and find an old out of production VEX PIC5 unit rather cheap. VEX has a free tutorial on how to program this. You are basically looking for it to power up and be ready to work. You may be able to find used axle encoders. The quad has some future advantages. This is basically an interrupter for the motor circuit. The quadrature allows you to use it to also tell you where it is. I do not know how this works, but it is there.

windu34

Postby windu34 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:01 pm

retired1 wrote:If you are challenged, you can go online and find an old out of production VEX PIC5 unit rather cheap. VEX has a free tutorial on how to program this. You are basically looking for it to power up and be ready to work. You may be able to find used axle encoders. The quad has some future advantages. This is basically an interrupter for the motor circuit. The quadrature allows you to use it to also tell you where it is. I do not know how this works, but it is there.

I would recommend against VEX. Their kits are very difficult to interface to custom parts or other units while Arduino is highly integrateable.
Jazzin710@gmail.com
windu34's Userpage

RJohnson
State: OH

Postby RJohnson » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:18 am

I would agree with Windu. It's also fair to note that VEX components can be used with Arduino boards with some programming and (usually) a breakout board. I found myself limited last year because of a VEX system and wouldn't go there again.

nitroignika

Postby nitroignika » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:12 am

windu34 wrote:
nitroignika wrote:

Thanks

My electric vehicle from nationals is on the "best of nationals" page on the wiki as well as youtube. There are plenty of intro to Arduino programming books online as pdf's as well as at your local university library

Alright, so I looked into Arduino and what chip do you recommend I use and is it worth getting a starter kit just to know what I am working with?
~nitroignika
~ABRHS 2020

windu34

Postby windu34 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:57 am

nitroignika wrote:
windu34 wrote:
nitroignika wrote:

Thanks

Alright, so I looked into Arduino and what chip do you recommend I use and is it worth getting a starter kit just to know what I am working with?

Go with the Uno. Starter kit is a good place to start
Jazzin710@gmail.com
windu34's Userpage

Return to “Electric Vehicle C”