Robot Arm 2017 event info

JonB
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: FL

Re: Robot Arm 2017 event info

Post by JonB »

HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:Man, getting the precision necessary for handling pennies is really difficult.The part I'm actually having the most trouble with right now is getting each individual penny separated from the stack. I have to say,this is a very challenging event and I worry that it might be so challenging that most teams at the regional level won't even compete, but it will definitely be interesting at the higher levels.

Oh I think teams will compete, it really can be as simple as picking up the stack and dropping the pennies and hoping for the best. In no way will that win, but it can be that simple to compete.
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

JonB wrote:
HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:Man, getting the precision necessary for handling pennies is really difficult.The part I'm actually having the most trouble with right now is getting each individual penny separated from the stack. I have to say,this is a very challenging event and I worry that it might be so challenging that most teams at the regional level won't even compete, but it will definitely be interesting at the higher levels.

Oh I think teams will compete, it really can be as simple as picking up the stack and dropping the pennies and hoping for the best. In no way will that win, but it can be that simple to compete.
Who says you even need to pick up a stack? Pushing them around will be a completely viable technique a lot of teams use.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
HandsFreeCookieDunk
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Post by HandsFreeCookieDunk »

chalker wrote:
JonB wrote:

Who says you even need to pick up a stack? Pushing them around will be a completely viable technique a lot of teams use.
But then you still run into the issue of getting the pennies separated because in stack form they count for nothing. Not saying this isn't viable, just not for a team that isn't serious.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:
chalker wrote:
JonB wrote:

But then you still run into the issue of getting the pennies separated because in stack form they count for nothing. Not saying this isn't viable, just not for a team that isn't serious.
They don't have to be individually sorted. Just push over the stack and they will fall. Teams can just push them around until they are content and want to call "time"
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
harik2000
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by harik2000 »

Hmm, this is interesting.

So the max points requires 12 pennies in the bullseye and 38 pennies in the 2nd ring. What do you guys expect to see in nationals? It is very unlikely that teams will reach that score. So, ties are seemingly less useful than last year.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

harik2000 wrote:Hmm, this is interesting.

So the max points requires 12 pennies in the bullseye and 38 pennies in the 2nd ring. What do you guys expect to see in nationals? It is very unlikely that teams will reach that score. So, ties are seemingly less useful than last year.
I expect at 4-6 teams with perfect score (12 pennies in the bullseye and 38 pennies in the 2nd ring) and maybe a winner with a time of ~1-1:30
harik2000

Post by harik2000 »

windu34 wrote:

I expect at 4-6 teams with perfect score (12 pennies in the bullseye and 38 pennies in the 2nd ring) and maybe a winner with a time of ~1-1:30
Woah, i was thinking about that but i can believe the 4 -6 teams with perfect score but i cant buy the 1 and half minute threshold maybe 2.5 minutes. I also dont see how teams will get that kind of accuracy.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

harik2000 wrote:
windu34 wrote:

Woah, i was thinking about that but i can believe the 4 -6 teams with perfect score but i cant buy the 1 and half minute threshold maybe 2.5 minutes. I also dont see how teams will get that kind of accuracy.
I can. (wont spoil it for you though :))
harik2000

Post by harik2000 »

This is probably not the right place to post this but I dont want make a new forum which will last for only a week.

So I have used magnetic encoders. Because the potentiometers I bought were not reliable as they kept having dead zones and stopped malfunctionoing. It turns out you need high grade potentiometers to get a good result. I was looking for other options when I came across magnetic encoders. They are really cheap about 3 dollars for one and aremuch more precise, durable, and accurate than the cheap potentiometers. The encoder gives you readings based on how you turn your magnet. This is just another option for those who want to do master slave.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

harik2000 wrote:This is probably not the right place to post this but I dont want make a new forum which will last for only a week.

So I have used magnetic encoders. Because the potentiometers I bought were not reliable as they kept having dead zones and stopped malfunctionoing. It turns out you need high grade potentiometers to get a good result. I was looking for other options when I came across magnetic encoders. They are really cheap about 3 dollars for one and aremuch more precise, durable, and accurate than the cheap potentiometers. The encoder gives you readings based on how you turn your magnet. This is just another option for those who want to do master slave.
$3? Can you provide a link?

Return to “Robot Arm C”