Robot Arm C

jander14indoor
Has thanked: 0

Re: Robot Arm C

Post by jander14indoor »

One of the top teams in Div B last year for robocross figured out a good way to pick up ping pong balls with a one way trap. Not sure how you then get the out and into the target cups.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia MI
aopsfan1
Been thanked: 0

Post by aopsfan1 »

I have a question on end effector. Will a detachable hook to drag the goal carton be considered end effector?
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

aopsfan1 wrote:I have a question on end effector. Will a detachable hook to drag the goal carton be considered end effector?
Yes. That would be considered passive and would be legal. Submit clarification if you want official answers
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
zarnold16
Division: C
State: MI

Post by zarnold16 »

windu34 wrote:
zarnold16 wrote:Hi everyone hope you're having a good day. I was messing around with different end effector designs and I'm not very successful with picking up the ping-pong balls. Is the use of vacuum pumps to pick up items a feasible option?
I have considered this, but making a vacuum end effector would not be able to be detachable (passive end effectors only) thus forcing you to make at least two arms. If you made two arms, the vacuum arm would be limited only to picking up ping pong balls thus your other arm either must be really fast and efficient. In terms of building it, I don't think it would be awfully hard; just build a vacuum. I don't know how strong/effective it would be.
(In simpler terms) No, not feasible
Ok, Where could I find some good information about end effectors? I have a 3D printer, so maybe i'll try modeling a gripper and print it out and try it.
FawnOnyx
State: MN

Post by FawnOnyx »

windu34 wrote:Definetly not the wooden dowels...one accidental bump and your arm is done. I actually used the aluminum tubing, but if you don't have 3d printers, you are going to have a hard time
zarnold16 wrote:Ok, Where could I find some good information about end effectors? I have a 3D printer, so maybe i'll try modeling a gripper and print it out and try it.
Man, it's remarkable how 3D printers are like reasonable things that many teams have available now. Like 4 years ago, 3D printing was pretty much unheard of in Science Olympiad, but nowadays, people barely blink an eye. I think it's a great direction and probably will be commonplace in the future, but I'm sure teams can make nationally competitive robots without them as well.
I like how teams can learn about modeling their own custom parts rather than browsing an online catalog of (expensive?) proprietary parts, or having to machine their own with limited tools/precision.

Looking forward to seeing some cool robots this year.
Mounds View Science Olympiad Alumnus, 2011-2014
MIT Science Olympiad Volunteer
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

FawnOnyx wrote:
windu34 wrote:Definetly not the wooden dowels...one accidental bump and your arm is done. I actually used the aluminum tubing, but if you don't have 3d printers, you are going to have a hard time
zarnold16 wrote:Ok, Where could I find some good information about end effectors? I have a 3D printer, so maybe i'll try modeling a gripper and print it out and try it.
Man, it's remarkable how 3D printers are like reasonable things that many teams have available now. Like 4 years ago, 3D printing was pretty much unheard of in Science Olympiad, but nowadays, people barely blink an eye. I think it's a great direction and probably will be commonplace in the future, but I'm sure teams can make nationally competitive robots without them as well.
I like how teams can learn about modeling their own custom parts rather than browsing an online catalog of (expensive?) proprietary parts, or having to machine their own with limited tools/precision.

You are part of the MIT Scioly Invite? Are you supervising robot arm?
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

zarnold16 wrote:
windu34 wrote:
zarnold16 wrote:Hi everyone hope you're having a good day. I was messing around with different end effector designs and I'm not very successful with picking up the ping-pong balls. Is the use of vacuum pumps to pick up items a feasible option?
I have considered this, but making a vacuum end effector would not be able to be detachable (passive end effectors only) thus forcing you to make at least two arms. If you made two arms, the vacuum arm would be limited only to picking up ping pong balls thus your other arm either must be really fast and efficient. In terms of building it, I don't think it would be awfully hard; just build a vacuum. I don't know how strong/effective it would be.
(In simpler terms) No, not feasible
Ok, Where could I find some good information about end effectors? I have a 3D printer, so maybe i'll try modeling a gripper and print it out and try it.
Check out youtube. Other than that, there isn't much you can do research wise (maybe hit a college library?). There are so many possibilities.
FawnOnyx
State: MN

Post by FawnOnyx »

windu34 wrote:
FawnOnyx wrote:

You are part of the MIT Scioly Invite? Are you supervising robot arm?
Yep, I'll be supervising robot arm.
Mounds View Science Olympiad Alumnus, 2011-2014
MIT Science Olympiad Volunteer
harik2000
Division: C
State: CA

Post by harik2000 »

Hey guys,

I am falling a little behind but I finally started to machine and build my robot arm. For the people who have finished, for manipulating the dice, are you mainly using a gripper to rotate the dice 180 degrees and what is the average time that you guys are taking to complete the tasks if you have been able to achieve a perfect score.

Thanks
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

harik2000 wrote:Hey guys,

I am falling a little behind but I finally started to machine and build my robot arm. For the people who have finished, for manipulating the dice, are you mainly using a gripper to rotate the dice 180 degrees and what is the average time that you guys are taking to complete the tasks if you have been able to achieve a perfect score.

Thanks
I attempted to create a rotational piece, but failed. Had to pick up and drop dice and the texas invite (cyfalls). Got first with a score of 105 and had 2 die with a 6 facing up. (lost 5 points because one pencil went out of the playing field by like 1 mm) :(

Return to “Robot Arm C”