Robot Arm C

jander14indoor
Has thanked: 0

Re: Robot Arm C

Post by jander14indoor »

not official, file your question with the national organization for official response, etc.

This is the kind of question that the response would be led with something to the effect, "We cannot rule on specific devices over the internet, we will have to examine the actual implementation of your idea, etc..."

Now, why do you think that using an adhesive will leave something behind on the object? I use green and blue painters tape on many projects and it peels away clean as long as you don't leave it stuck forever. As long as your device doesn't leave any residue you SHOULD be OK. But again, I'd really need to see it in action for definitive answers.

I certainly wouldn't try something like superglue!

I will comment on some teams I saw use adhesive aided end effectors. You really need to think about how to drop the object when it comes time.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Been thanked: 0

Post by 55555 »

Am I allowed to control and power my arduino using my laptop (outside of the competition area) during my run?
Chris_L
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by Chris_L »

Am I allowed to control and power my arduino using my laptop (outside of the competition area) during my run?
I wouldn't see why not? (Also not official) But I've seen this done in the past, and as long as your documentation is good, then there's no problem. But I could be wrong? But honestly I would look for another way of controlling it? It's pretty easy to do potentiometers or a ps2 controller. If you need help pm me.
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." -Bruce Lee

When asked what his IQ was, Stephen Hawking said "I have no idea. People who boast about their IQ are losers"
samlan16
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

For the tech doc, what are you all doing for the third parameter on the practice log?
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Chris_L wrote:
I wouldn't see why not? (Also not official) But I've seen this done in the past, and as long as your documentation is good, then there's no problem. But I could be wrong? But honestly I would look for another way of controlling it? It's pretty easy to do potentiometers or a ps2 controller. If you need help pm me.
Yes, as long as you have provide the supervisor with a labeled voltage to verify it is no more than 14.4 volts. Yesterday I judged a team with a device powered by batteries but also powered an Arduino by laptop, which complicated verifying the voltage.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
antoine123
Division: C
State: NY

Post by antoine123 »

Hi, pretty new to robotics so excuse me if this doesn't make sense, but would using something like an xbox 360 controller, wired or wireless, with an arduino and shield be allowed according to the rules or even a feasible method for controlling the arm? thanks
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

antoine123 wrote:Hi, pretty new to robotics so excuse me if this doesn't make sense, but would using something like an xbox 360 controller, wired or wireless, with an arduino and shield be allowed according to the rules or even a feasible method for controlling the arm? thanks
I would definetly deem this legal, but the feasibility is another question. I have not experimented with this type of control, but from what I have heard, a solid master slave system is much more intuitive and easier to control than a controller such as the one you mentioned.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
samlan16
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

windu34 wrote:a solid master-slave system
So funny story: at our regional tournament on Saturday, our team was called politically incorrect for saying this.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
watermydoing14
Division: C

Post by watermydoing14 »

bernard wrote:
Chris_L wrote:
Yes, as long as you have provide the supervisor with a labeled voltage to verify it is no more than 14.4 volts. Yesterday I judged a team with a device powered by batteries but also powered an Arduino by laptop, which complicated verifying the voltage.
Doesn't a USB cable only supply up to 5 V of power? I don't really know how to verify that though other than looking it up....
2013~Designer Genes~Disease Detectives~Forensics~Remote Sensing
2014~Anatomy~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2015~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2016~Air Trajectory~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Protein Modeling~Robot Arm~Wright Stuff
Interlake High School
GO SAINTS!
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

watermydoing14 wrote:
bernard wrote:
Chris_L wrote:
Doesn't a USB cable only supply up to 5 V of power? I don't really know how to verify that though other than looking it up....
I wouldn't be surprised if it varied across laptop models. If you are just using a laptop to power an Arduino, it may be easiest and safest (in a following the rules sense) to power your Arduino with a labeled battery.

The rules go by labeled voltage, and it's easiest if it is clearly labeled on your power source. It's possible some event supervisors may not consider documentation taken from the Internet as "labeled." If you need to use documentation to verify your voltage, I would submit an FAQ so you can get an official opinion on whether it counts as labeled.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs

Return to “Robot Arm C”