Robot Arm C

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Robot Arm C

Post by chalker »

blueice wrote:Is this from prior competition experience?

Also, so the robot can be powered on in the ready to run configuration?

I apologize for all the question. I am quite a newb
Anytime you see the words "ready to run" in SO rules, it literally means that the device is setup such that the moment the event supervisor says 'go', you are able to operate the device without any further setup / configuration required.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

blueice wrote:Is this from prior competition experience?

Also, so the robot can be powered on in the ready to run configuration?

I apologize for all the question. I am quite a newb
I have placed first at cypress falls, MIT, and regionals so far. My comments reflect all experience gained from those competitions
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
jonmui28
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by jonmui28 »

Just out of curiosity, if an item is fully supported by an end effector, which is fully supported by the goal cartons, does it count? In other words, can transitivity apply to the objects, end effectors, and goal cartons. Thanks!
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

That ones sufficiently convoluted, but real, that you really should submit an FAQ to the national site. I have an opinion, but not strong enough to share even unofficially!

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

I would say that in most cases it would comply with the rules as they are written. The end effector could not have any part of it touch the "floor" .
ThatRoboGuy
Division: C
State: OH

Post by ThatRoboGuy »

retired1 wrote:I would say that in most cases it would comply with the rules as they are written. The end effector could not have any part of it touch the "floor" .
Time to break out the rules! I've been wondering about this one too.
Here are all the relevant rules under 6. Competition:

Wait a minute. There aren't any. I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but I just looked through each rule and nothing applies. No rule states that the robot cannot exit the Competition Area. In fact, that would be a little silly considering that an arm or wire may exit from the back during the run.

So, in conclusion, any part of the robot may exit and touch the floor outside of the competition area without penalty by my interpretation of the rules (by which I mean the lack thereof). There isn't really a reason to make this disallowed anyways.
Here to help
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Not relevant to the question on an end effector supported by the egg carton supporting a scorable object, but relevant to your broader comment about nothing on where the robot is, see para 6.g.vi about base of robot touching device square. A time stopper.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
vcubed1234

Post by vcubed1234 »

In the rules, it states that we can use multiple robot arms. What counts as an arm? For example, if I had a small linear actuator push all the pencils together, would count as a second arm or would that be against the rules?
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ »

vcubed1234 wrote:In the rules, it states that we can use multiple robot arms. What counts as an arm? For example, if I had a small linear actuator push all the pencils together, would count as a second arm or would that be against the rules?
I dont see why that would be against the rules. It doesn't brake any rules regardless of whether its considered an 'arm' or not.
Innovation =/= success
scioly_er

Post by scioly_er »

Hey everyone! Quick question: I see in the rules that the damage/modification of scoreable items or goal cartons is a violation. This, of course, makes perfect sense. I also see that it specifically bans increasing the mass of items and changing the surface texture of any items. This seems to particularly imply that things like tape or other adhesive based end effectors are not allowed. At the same time, I saw posts on this forum that talked about adhesive based end effectors. I am wondering if these types of end effectors are considered to be a violation across the board or if certain end effectors that utilize tape/adhesive that does not leave a residue behind are allowed. Also, end effectors are allowed to be detachable, meaning they can be left on the board, right?

Thank you!

Return to “Robot Arm C”