Robot Arm C

Jdogg
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Robot Arm C

Post by Jdogg »

bugsrcool wrote:PA had two perfect scores with all four dice facing up with 6's. One finished at 2:20 something and the other was 2:57. First was manual while second was autonomous. The playing field was a little weird as the egg cartons were Styrofoam and the diagram on the floor was covered with a sheet of plastic. Made moving the egg cartons almost impossible without flipping them over. The team that came in first tried to pull it over, the egg carton flipped over, then they had to flip it back over to get the ping pong balls in. Otherwise, I think they would have finished in around 2:00. Great job to all of the robot arms. It was a very entertaining event.
As well as one almost perfect score (110 points with one die facing up with a 2 instead of a 6).
The arena was made of plexiglass sheeting with the robot arm arena print out underneath. I personally like the pexi-glass arena flooring as it requires teams to have very good control over their arm, especially if they want to keep the edge pieces from rolling out. It also presents problems when teams try to move the egg cartons as it provides a grippy surface. A few teams realized that it would be hard to move the egg cartons and actually changed their plan of attach during their practice 3 minutes, which was cool to watch. (I'm also biased, as I used to practice on plexiglass arenas when robot arm was an event a few years ago. If you can get a perfect score on plexiglass, any other surface is a piece of cake.)
Shoutout to Penncrest who had one of the coolest arms I've ever seen (I don't feel comfortable describing their design, but maybe someone on their team will post a video or post something here), but needless to say the amount of time and effort that went into perfecting the device must have been tremendous.
Harriton Class of 2013
Vice-Deputy of Avionics and Control for Lunar Lion
Assistant Coach of State College High School
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

windu34 wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote:Hey do you guys think having an apparatus that goes on top of all the dies and then is flipped so the 6s are facing up but the dies aren't sitting on the competition floor but rather on the apparatus would legally give you full points for the dies? In the rules it says the dies should be 'sitting flat' and some judges I had did not count dies which had evens facing up inside a carton or on an apparatus. I would ask this as a rule clarification or a faq on the official cite, but they are irresponsive.
As specified by the rules, I believe the die must be sitting flat on the ground.
As usual, UNOFFICIAL, non binding, etc...

The rule says:
7.e. 6 points for each die sitting flat completely within the Competition Area that has an even number facing upwards at the end of the Competition Time.

I see nothing that says flat on the surface of the competition area.

The rules also say:
7.d d. At the end of the run, 1 point is awarded for every Item and dice completely within the area defined by vertically extending the lines defining the North Zone.

So clearly the dice get one point if they are above the surface in zone A.

Of course, you could avoid any risk by sliding the dice off your apparatus...

PS, just because you don't see an immediate response to an FAQ request, don't assume you won't eventually.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ »

jander14indoor wrote:
PS, just because you don't see an immediate response to an FAQ request, don't assume you won't eventually
2 months hehe. But my question is what is defined as 'flat', since the floor is flat by definition, but any apparatus's are not guaranteed to be flat. Just wondering, would you count a die on an apparatus in the competition area with a six facing up which is visibly not flat (clearly has 6 up, but is definitely a bit slanted) with the full 6 pts and tie breaker or not?
Innovation =/= success
peartree423

Post by peartree423 »

Anyone know what the winning time was?
maxxxxx
State: PA

Post by maxxxxx »

peartree423 wrote:Anyone know what the winning time was?
http://www.scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 8&start=15

Scroll down and you'll see the times
Lower Merion Class Of 2017
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Chalker: Is there anything you can share with us regarding next year?
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

windu34 wrote:Chalker: Is there anything you can share with us regarding next year?
Draft rules will be shared at SOSI the week of July 18th, so a lot should start to leak out then.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Return to “Robot Arm C”