Robot Arm C

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Robot Arm C

Post by chalker »

bernard wrote:
watermydoing14 wrote:
bernard wrote: Yes, as long as you have provide the supervisor with a labeled voltage to verify it is no more than 14.4 volts. Yesterday I judged a team with a device powered by batteries but also powered an Arduino by laptop, which complicated verifying the voltage.
Doesn't a USB cable only supply up to 5 V of power? I don't really know how to verify that though other than looking it up....
I wouldn't be surprised if it varied across laptop models. If you are just using a laptop to power an Arduino, it may be easiest and safest (in a following the rules sense) to power your Arduino with a labeled battery.

The rules go by labeled voltage, and it's easiest if it is clearly labeled on your power source. It's possible some event supervisors may not consider documentation taken from the Internet as "labeled." If you need to use documentation to verify your voltage, I would submit an FAQ so you can get an official opinion on whether it counts as labeled.
Here's the official spec according to Wikipedia, which is indeed 5V: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
HandsFreeCookieDunk
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Post by HandsFreeCookieDunk »

Out of curiosity, what was expected as the functional modifications for commercial kits? Changing the shape of the end effector/claw? I wouldn't think anyone would want to mess with the motors or controls on one of those.
Chris_L
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by Chris_L »

Out of curiosity, what was expected as the functional modifications for commercial kits? Changing the shape of the end effector/claw? I wouldn't think anyone would want to mess with the motors or controls on one of those.
I mean honestly for the OWI kit the easiest modification is to make it longer. To make a VEX kit usable takes major modification, and the Trossen kit would just change some code and you're there. Honestly for most kits the claw/end effector is pretty effective, but you could change the gearing of the OWI kit to make it go faster.
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." -Bruce Lee

When asked what his IQ was, Stephen Hawking said "I have no idea. People who boast about their IQ are losers"
blueice
State: GA

Post by blueice »

@windu34

Perfect score at states?
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

blueice wrote:@windu34

Perfect score at states?
Perfect Score with all four die on 6's and a time of 2:35ish
The night before, we ran a speed run and got a time of 1:40 with a perfect score and all die, but wanted to be careful at states due to the low competitivness
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
HandsFreeCookieDunk

Dang, you had states already? I just had my regional on Saturday. PA states isn't for another month.

As for the modification, I was thinking something along the lines of tabs at the end of the claw to more easily pick up pencils (or maybe even an electromagnet if someone was feeling fancy).
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ »

:twisted:
HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:Dang, you had states already? I just had my regional on Saturday. PA states isn't for another month.

As for the modification, I was thinking something along the lines of tabs at the end of the claw to more easily pick up pencils (or maybe even an electromagnet if someone was feeling fancy).
Please tell me the electromagnet thing was a joke lol...
Innovation =/= success
HandsFreeCookieDunk

Unlikely, but possible if someone wanted to eliminate variability with the pencils.
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ »

HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:Unlikely, but possible if someone wanted to eliminate variability with the pencils.
no... pencils aren't magnetic.
Innovation =/= success
Chris_L
State: CA

Post by Chris_L »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^so true lol
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." -Bruce Lee

When asked what his IQ was, Stephen Hawking said "I have no idea. People who boast about their IQ are losers"

Return to “Robot Arm C”