Power source

watermydoing14
Division: C
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Power source

Post by watermydoing14 »

Bazinga+ wrote:I am currently using a 7.4 Volt battery to power 5 servos. The recommended voltage for the servos is 6 volts but the closest thing I could find to 6 was 7.2 and 7.4 volt batteries(like 8.5 when fully charged). I've had a lot of servos burn out and I'm wondering if this is because I'm running it at a higher voltage, or just that I was putting too much strain on them or they were stalling for too long. If the problem is the high voltage does anyone know where I could get the right voltage rechargeable batteries with decent storage. I would like to stay away from voltage regulators.

You could use 2 packs of 4 AA or AAA batteries connected in parallel. 4 of those batteries connected in series will be about 6 V and 2 packs of those in parallel should give you enough power to power 5 servos at once without changing the voltage
2013~Designer Genes~Disease Detectives~Forensics~Remote Sensing
2014~Anatomy~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2015~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2016~Air Trajectory~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Protein Modeling~Robot Arm~Wright Stuff
Interlake High School
GO SAINTS!
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

watermydoing14 wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote:I am currently using a 7.4 Volt battery to power 5 servos. The recommended voltage for the servos is 6 volts but the closest thing I could find to 6 was 7.2 and 7.4 volt batteries(like 8.5 when fully charged). I've had a lot of servos burn out and I'm wondering if this is because I'm running it at a higher voltage, or just that I was putting too much strain on them or they were stalling for too long. If the problem is the high voltage does anyone know where I could get the right voltage rechargeable batteries with decent storage. I would like to stay away from voltage regulators.

You could use 2 packs of 4 AA or AAA batteries connected in parallel. 4 of those batteries connected in series will be about 6 V and 2 packs of those in parallel should give you enough power to power 5 servos at once without changing the voltage
I would advise against using normal alkaline batteries. Battery packs are a much better alternative because they can be recharged and you will never have to buy another pack (at least for the season). 6V battery packs are sold in high current capacities.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ »

windu34 wrote:
watermydoing14 wrote:

I would advise against using normal alkaline batteries. Battery packs are a much better alternative because they can be recharged and you will never have to buy another pack (at least for the season). 6V battery packs are sold in high current capacities.
I agree. Also, a battery pack of 4 C or D batteries would also work better than AA's since they are very high capacity, but rechargeable batteries are preferable.
Innovation =/= success
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Bazinga+ wrote:
windu34 wrote:
watermydoing14 wrote:

I agree. Also, a battery pack of 4 C or D batteries would also work better than AA's since they are very high capacity, but rechargeable batteries are preferable.
Not to mention it would be extremely expensive to keep purchasing batteries
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
watermydoing14
State: WA

Post by watermydoing14 »

windu34 wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote:
windu34 wrote: I would advise against using normal alkaline batteries. Battery packs are a much better alternative because they can be recharged and you will never have to buy another pack (at least for the season). 6V battery packs are sold in high current capacities.
Not to mention it would be extremely expensive to keep purchasing batteries

We are using rechargeable batteries, so the only inconvenience is having to recharge them relatively often
2013~Designer Genes~Disease Detectives~Forensics~Remote Sensing
2014~Anatomy~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2015~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2016~Air Trajectory~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Protein Modeling~Robot Arm~Wright Stuff
Interlake High School
GO SAINTS!

Return to “Robot Arm C”