Power source

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Power source

Post by windu34 »

What power sources have worked the best?
I am using one 7.2V 3000mAH battery pack for each of my arms that plugs into a sensor shield on the Arduino (5 servos drawing from each pack)
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
watermydoing14
Division: C
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Power source

Post by watermydoing14 »

Currently, we are using 8 AAA batteries to power 6 servos and a laptop to power our arduino with a USB cable
2013~Designer Genes~Disease Detectives~Forensics~Remote Sensing
2014~Anatomy~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2015~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2016~Air Trajectory~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Protein Modeling~Robot Arm~Wright Stuff
Interlake High School
GO SAINTS!
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ »

windu34 wrote:What power sources have worked the best?
I am using one 7.2V 3000mAH battery pack for each of my arms that plugs into a sensor shield on the Arduino (5 servos drawing from each pack)
It doesn't make much of a difference, but I recommend LiPo batteries. They are a bit more expensive, but they supply much more constant current, hold their charge better, and have a longer life span. In practice they minimize servo/motor jerking and are very reliable. Just remember that LiPo BATTERIES ARE ILLEGAL ON PUBLIC AIR FLIGHTS, meaning that you have to either ship them or drive them to nationals.
Innovation =/= success
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Bazinga+ wrote: Just remember that LiPo BATTERIES ARE ILLEGAL ON PUBLIC AIR FLIGHTS, meaning that you have to either ship them or drive them to nationals.
This isn't true. You can't put Lithium batteries in CHECKED luggage, but you are allowed to put them in you CARRYON luggage. You can bring as many batteries that are less than 100 Watt Hours, and 2 batteries per person that are between 100 and 160 Watt Hours. See http://phmsa.dot.gov/safetravel/batteries

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Bazinga+ »

chalker wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote: Just remember that LiPo BATTERIES ARE ILLEGAL ON PUBLIC AIR FLIGHTS, meaning that you have to either ship them or drive them to nationals.
This isn't true. You can't put Lithium batteries in CHECKED luggage, but you are allowed to put them in you CARRYON luggage. You can bring as many batteries that are less than 100 Watt Hours, and 2 batteries per person that are between 100 and 160 Watt Hours. See http://phmsa.dot.gov/safetravel/batteries
Oh thanks didn't know that. Any idea why it's like that? I don't see why having it in carry-on would be any safer (I mean I guess luggage could roll around or something).
Innovation =/= success
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Bazinga+ wrote: Oh thanks didn't know that. Any idea why it's like that? I don't see why having it in carry-on would be any safer (I mean I guess luggage could roll around or something).
It's easy to screen carry-on luggage to make sure there aren't too many batteries being carried on. It's harder to do that with checked luggage. There have been several fires in cargo holds of airplanes as a result of lithium batteries. The halon fire suppression systems in cargo holds also can't put out lithium battery fires (but the assumption is that people would be able to put out a small fire in the main cabin with water or something else.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Bazinga+ »

I am currently using a 7.4 Volt battery to power 5 servos. The recommended voltage for the servos is 6 volts but the closest thing I could find to 6 was 7.2 and 7.4 volt batteries(like 8.5 when fully charged). I've had a lot of servos burn out and I'm wondering if this is because I'm running it at a higher voltage, or just that I was putting too much strain on them or they were stalling for too long. If the problem is the high voltage does anyone know where I could get the right voltage rechargeable batteries with decent storage. I would like to stay away from voltage regulators.
Innovation =/= success
Noel
State: FL

Post by Noel »

Bazinga+ wrote:I am currently using a 7.4 Volt battery to power 5 servos. The recommended voltage for the servos is 6 volts but the closest thing I could find to 6 was 7.2 and 7.4 volt batteries(like 8.5 when fully charged). I've had a lot of servos burn out and I'm wondering if this is because I'm running it at a higher voltage, or just that I was putting too much strain on them or they were stalling for too long. If the problem is the high voltage does anyone know where I could get the right voltage rechargeable batteries with decent storage. I would like to stay away from voltage regulators.
It's most likely the high voltage. I found 6V 4200 mah battery packs on servocity for my non-brushless servos.
2015-2016 Events
It's About Time
Protein Modeling
Robot Arm
Wind Power
Write It Do It
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Bazinga+ »

Thanks!
Innovation =/= success
cantthinkofausername
State: KY

Post by cantthinkofausername »

chalker wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote: Oh thanks didn't know that. Any idea why it's like that? I don't see why having it in carry-on would be any safer (I mean I guess luggage could roll around or something).
It's easy to screen carry-on luggage to make sure there aren't too many batteries being carried on. It's harder to do that with checked luggage. There have been several fires in cargo holds of airplanes as a result of lithium batteries. The halon fire suppression systems in cargo holds also can't put out lithium battery fires (but the assumption is that people would be able to put out a small fire in the main cabin with water or something else.
Doesn't Lithium react violently with water?

Return to “Robot Arm C”