Pictures, Videos, Scores

0ddrenaline
Division: Grad
State: MI

Re: Pictures, Videos, Scores

Post by 0ddrenaline »

Our team can get a perfect score in 1:40. They have an idea which could easily get them to 1:30. They probably didn't even practice more than most teams. They just made the design and controls as intuitive as possible.
DaPlug
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DaPlug »

It took us about 10 runs to get the perfect scores under 2 minutes, but after constant practice and improvements i have dropped another 30 seconds.
Mira Loma High School
2016:
Air Trajectory/Robot Arm/Wright Stuff/Game On
Regionals: 7/2/2/1
States: 3/2/4/2
Nationals: 4/1/3/-
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ »

So 3 perfect scores in under 2 minutes already? I wonder how many perfect scores there will be at nats. Do you guys usually go to nationals (Just wondering)?
Innovation =/= success
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

DaPlug wrote:It took us about 10 runs to get the perfect scores under 2 minutes, but after constant practice and improvements i have dropped another 30 seconds.
Care to share the basic structure of your arm(s)?
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Bazinga+ wrote:So 3 perfect scores in under 2 minutes already? I wonder how many perfect scores there will be at nats. Do you guys usually go to nationals (Just wondering)?
Based on the past, Id predict 5-6 perfect scores and maybe ~15 devices capable of theoretically attaining a perfect score.
DaPlug
State: CA

Post by DaPlug »

windu34 wrote:
DaPlug wrote:It took us about 10 runs to get the perfect scores under 2 minutes, but after constant practice and improvements i have dropped another 30 seconds.
Care to share the basic structure of your arm(s)?
If you will share yours with me I can share mine with you. Basically it's one arm, nothing special.
Mira Loma High School
2016:
Air Trajectory/Robot Arm/Wright Stuff/Game On
Regionals: 7/2/2/1
States: 3/2/4/2
Nationals: 4/1/3/-
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

I have two arms that are identical except in height based on the SCARA style design that are controlled via the Master-Slave implementation using arduinos. Controllers are 3D printed with high grade industrial potentiometers in the joints. 2 Arduino Mega's control each of the arms with the base servos on both arms being controlled by a separate Arduino Uno.
cantthinkofausername
State: KY

Post by cantthinkofausername »

I can also score a perfect score in 1:50, could probably go faster though. 1 arm.
UQOnyx
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by UQOnyx »

I wanted to share my experience from States at NJ. We placed 2nd at the tournament. A few things that I noted:
-The majority of teams suck at building events. (sorry but every year, my theory is confirmed once again)
-For an event like Robot Arm, you need practice and confidence. I saw a couple of arms which weren't exactly great, but they could have gotten a decent score. Without practice, the team got a score of... three points.
-In order to place even in a state like New Jersey, one of the most competitive regions for SCIOLY, you don't need to be perfect. We didn't get close to a perfect score, but we placed second in the state. (In our defense, we didn't have enough money to give the arm a full range of capabilities. It couldn't touch the ping pong balls)
-First place is usually a perfect score, or it is really really close.
-Again, practice, practice, practice.

Overall, I had a great time for this event. This was probably my favorite event for science olympiad ever.
Noor-ul-Iman School

2012 Events:
Forestry
Storm The Castle

2013 Events:
Boomilever
Shock Value
Forestry

I know the voices aren't real, but they have some great ideas..
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ »

UQOnyx wrote:I wanted to share my experience from States at NJ. We placed 2nd at the tournament. A few things that I noted:
-The majority of teams suck at building events. (sorry but every year, my theory is confirmed once again)
-For an event like Robot Arm, you need practice and confidence. I saw a couple of arms which weren't exactly great, but they could have gotten a decent score. Without practice, the team got a score of... three points.
-In order to place even in a state like New Jersey, one of the most competitive regions for SCIOLY, you don't need to be perfect. We didn't get close to a perfect score, but we placed second in the state. (In our defense, we didn't have enough money to give the arm a full range of capabilities. It couldn't touch the ping pong balls)
-First place is usually a perfect score, or it is really really close.
-Again, practice, practice, practice.

Overall, I had a great time for this event. This was probably my favorite event for science olympiad.
At the NYS science Olympiad competition the scores were pretty high. I doubt an arm that can't get ping pong balls could have been top 15. I think there were like 2-3 perfect scores and like 5 more almost perfect scores.
Innovation =/= success

Return to “Robot Arm C”