Dice Tiebreaker

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Dice Tiebreaker

Post by windu34 »

I am curious to see how many people/teams have solved the dice tiebreaker. You don't have to share how you solved it (obviously would want to keep that a secret like me), just share it's effectiveness and/or complexity as well as efficiency (how long does the task take).

For My Idea:
Low-Medium level of complexity- relatively easy to use
Takes about 30 seconds (45 if I take my time and be careful) to get all 4 dice with a 6 facing upwards in the North zone - has an ~80% success rate (although I have just recently started to practice with it)
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dice Tiebreaker

Post by Bazinga+ »

Well if you use a regular robot gripper/claw you will have to turn each die twice since the 6 is on the opposite side of the 1, so I'm guessing that's how you did it. You have to turn it twice since you can't have 2 opposite flat sides on the die so you can't turn it 180 degrees without dropping it from some hight, so you can only turn it 90 deg. And then turn it again. My solution was to roll the dies. The average amount of rolls you will have to make to get 4 sixes is 4/(1/6)= 24, with a standard deviation of about √npq=√24*(1/6)*(5/6)=1.82. This means that 95% of the time you will get 4 sixes in 20 to 28 rolls. I simply have a method of picking up and rolling the dies very fast(1-2 sec per roll) and that is my method. Sure its dependent on luck, but I'm willing to take my chances.
Innovation =/= success
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Bazinga+ wrote:Well if you use a regular robot gripper/claw you will have to turn each die twice since the 6 is on the opposite side of the 1, so I'm guessing that's how you did it. You have to turn it twice since you can't have 2 opposite flat sides on the die so you can't turn it 180 degrees without dropping it from some hight, so you can only turn it 90 deg. And then turn it again. My solution was to roll the dies. The average amount of rolls you will have to make to get 4 sixes is 4/(1/6)= 24, with a standard deviation of about √npq=√24*(1/6)*(5/6)=1.82. This means that 95% of the time you will get 4 sixes in 20 to 28 rolls. I simply have a method of picking up and rolling the dies very fast(1-2 sec per roll) and that is my method. Sure its dependent on luck, but I'm willing to take my chances.
That is definetly not what I am doing.
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Bazinga+ »

My bad thought you had something like this http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Juhn3SZzJ7Q
Innovation =/= success
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Bazinga+ wrote:My bad thought you had something like this http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Juhn3SZzJ7Q
The way you described (randomly flipping) is not how I am approaching the dice challenge.
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Bazinga+ »

Oh no that's what I use. I thought that you simply turn each die twice (no rolling). For example from 1 to 3 then from 3 to 6.
Innovation =/= success
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Bazinga+ wrote:Oh no that's what I use. I thought that you simply turn each die twice (no rolling). For example from 1 to 3 then from 3 to 6.
No. My arm has includes specific parts for that function

Return to “Robot Arm C”