Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Robot Arm at Nationals

Post by Bazinga+ »

Does anyone know the precision to which the robot arm field will be set up? Namely, will the distances between dies, legos, pencils, and ping pong balls be approximated or distinctly measured. Also, will nationals be using the field print-out provided on the nationals cite (https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... Poster.pdf), since it only seems logical to use it since it is provided by the national website, but not sure since I haven't seen anyone use it this year.
Innovation =/= success
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Robot Arm at Nationals

Post by windu34 »

Bazinga+ wrote:Does anyone know the precision to which the robot arm field will be set up? Namely, will the distances between dies, legos, pencils, and ping pong balls be approximated or distinctly measured. Also, will nationals be using the field print-out provided on the nationals cite (https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... Poster.pdf), since it only seems logical to use it since it is provided by the national website, but not sure since I haven't seen anyone use it this year.
I would assume that since this is nationals, the objects will be set up pretty close to the distinct measurements, but I wouldn't count on it. I remember an autonomous arm a few years back would have won nats if it weren't for an object being slightly misplaced causing them to miss staging by 2 places.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

While I know the answer (being the national ES) this is not the appropriate forum to provide those details since I can't be sure this site is equally accessible to all teams going to nationals. Yes I know this is a public site, but I don't know that every national team is aware that I post here.

I'd be happy to post the info to the national tournament website. Perhaps you should ask the tournament director to have me post it on the Robot Arm web page. That would be equally accessible and a logical place to look. Kind of like Wright Stuff rules require posting of the room dimensions.

Thanks,

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Bazinga+ »

jander14indoor wrote:While I know the answer (being the national ES) this is not the appropriate forum to provide those details since I can't be sure this site is equally accessible to all teams going to nationals. Yes I know this is a public site, but I don't know that every national team is aware that I post here.

I'd be happy to post the info to the national tournament website. Perhaps you should ask the tournament director to have me post it on the Robot Arm web page. That would be equally accessible and a logical place to look. Kind of like Wright Stuff rules require posting of the room dimensions.

Thanks,

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Do you know where exactly to ask the question? Did you mean email the event tournament director through the email on the 2016 nationals page or someone else through the official soinc page.
Innovation =/= success
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

You could try both, but for sure you should ask through the tournament page. Your coach should have some contact info if you are going to nationals.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
retired1

Post by retired1 »

Having worked RoboCross with Jeff at the 2nd nationals in FL, I strongly suspect that he will follow the rules as printed as close as possible. Does that mean that they will lay out the track with a micrometer --NO. They will probably run 3 games at the same time meaning that the assistants will lay it out as close as their individual eyeball will allow. If you have a serious problem with your particular game area, you can always politely ask for minor changes. I personally do not see much problem with the individual items. I can see where the egg cartons might be slightly off but you can move those with your end effector to where ever you want.
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Bazinga+ »

jander14indoor wrote:You could try both, but for sure you should ask through the tournament page. Your coach should have some contact info if you are going to nationals.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
I contacted the director of competitive events for the upcoming tournament for a clarification on the set up, and he told me to contact the event supervisors.
Innovation =/= success
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Bazinga+ wrote:I contacted the director of competitive events for the upcoming tournament for a clarification on the set up, and he told me to contact the event supervisors.
Arrghhh...

OK, the good news. They (the tournament officials) did contact me. I did answer, and it looks like they are going to post my answer to the tournament site on the event page.

When I see it I'll mention on this site. If you see it first, feel free to note that here and save me typing.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
retired1

Post by retired1 »

I can not find my rules right now, but I thought that it said that the eraser end of the pencil went up against the tape and not the way that the link shows it. I doubt if is a big deal to anyone if my memory is correct, but it is a rule????
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Bazinga+ »

retired1 wrote:I can not find my rules right now, but I thought that it said that the eraser end of the pencil went up against the tape and not the way that the link shows it. I doubt if is a big deal to anyone if my memory is correct, but it is a rule????
The rules state that the eraser end and the 2 stud ends of legos are facing away from the device square.
Innovation =/= success

Return to “Robot Arm C”