Robot Arm 2017 event info

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Robot Arm 2017 event info

Post by Unome »

harik2000 wrote:Hi guys, I have a few questions regarding the draft rules.

1) Maximum score is 12 in 1st ring & 38 in 2nd ring plus double points so it adds up to 12(10) + 38(8) = 424 points. Is this correct?

2) Do we start off with 4 points or 0 points because of the 4 original stacks?

3)Are points given if they are in between two targets? Do you get the lower points or no points?

4)How much do you guys expect the rules for the event to change on Sept 15? Because it looks pretty detailed.

In my opinion, this year is much harder than last year due to kits being nearly obsolete with picking up pennies and the amount of precision required to reach 424 points is insane.

Thanks,
Hari
1) I think jander14indoor addressed this somewhere, but I can't remember where.
4) September 15th? Since when do rules come out that late?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
jander14indoor
Has thanked: 0

Post by jander14indoor »

max number of pennies in a given ring is earlier in this discussion. Go back a page.
Max score depends on regional, state or national level.
Your logic looks right, though I think you dropped the bonus for resetting your robot. I didn't check your math.
Zero points to start. Pennies are stacked so they score zero. And they are outside the first scoring ring.
If the language doesn't change between now and then, pennies in two rings get the lesser score.
Published rules have some modifications from what was shown at the clinic. That's why I am careful to caution that anything you see or hear until you have an official copy of the rules IS A DRAFT!

You have enough detail to work on the hard parts now. Pick up stacks of pennies and place them close together (hexagonal close packed) but not over or under each other. Flip them in the process. I wouldn't even worry about where you pick them up or where you place them at this point. I wouldn't worry about size right now.
Get good at penny handling!

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
harik2000
Division: C
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by harik2000 »

How does max score depend on regional, states, and nats? In the draft rules it is a fixed 5 stacks of 10 pennies.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

harik2000 wrote:How does max score depend on regional, states, and nats? In the draft rules it is a fixed 5 stacks of 10 pennies.
The number of points per penny in each ring of the target varies depending on level of competition. I believe bazinga+ posted it on an earlier page of this thread
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

jander14indoor wrote:That's a cool tool. It actually does provide a maximum possible score. Just keep checking the next ring size. Subtract what could be contained in the smaller ring from the next higher and there you are. How easy it is to do, well, this is the second year...
10 cm ring - 12 pennies
20 cm ring - 52 pennies less 12 gives 40 in the second ring
30 cm ring - 121 pennies less 52 gives up to 69 in the third ring.
Yes I know the rules don't currently have that many pennies.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Assuming a penny diameter of 19mm, I used the calculator and found I can fit 17-20 pennies in the 100mm diameter ring (depending upon how much extra space I leave for error)
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Not sure how I made the error. The rings are 4, 8, 12, 16, etc radius. If you use those dimensions, which apparently I did, you get my count. Not sure how I translated that to 10, 20, etc rings when I typed. NOT intentional, truly. Sorry. Old age, cosmic rays corrupting the binary info from my computer, sun stroke, I was away from my computer, I didn't type that, uh, uh...
That said, those are still DRAFT numbers. Figure out how to place pennies hexagonal close packed and touching and not on top of each other and you will be going down the right road.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

A few questions after brainstorming:
1.) Are the pennies required to touch the ground (target)?
Thanks
RJohnson
State: OH

Post by RJohnson »

windu34 wrote: The number of points per penny in each ring of the target varies depending on level of competition. I believe bazinga+ posted it on an earlier page of this thread
I wasn't able to find this earlier in the thread. Could someone please explain?

Thanks
harik2000
State: CA

Post by harik2000 »

RJohnson wrote:
windu34 wrote: The number of points per penny in each ring of the target varies depending on level of competition. I believe bazinga+ posted it on an earlier page of this thread
I wasn't able to find this earlier in the thread. Could someone please explain?

Thanks

Basically at regionals, states, and nationals Each ring has a different point value like the 1st ring which is worth 5 points in regionals increases up to 15 points in nationals and likewise everything is appropriately scaled still giving ring 1 the most amount of points.
HandsFreeCookieDunk
State: PA

Post by HandsFreeCookieDunk »

Man, getting the precision necessary for handling pennies is really difficult.The part I'm actually having the most trouble with right now is getting each individual penny separated from the stack. I have to say,this is a very challenging event and I worry that it might be so challenging that most teams at the regional level won't even compete, but it will definitely be interesting at the higher levels.

Return to “Robot Arm C”