Robot Arm 2017 event info

peartree423
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Robot Arm 2017 event info

Post by peartree423 »

Mr. Anderson, do you think you could give a basic overview of what the robots are to accomplish?

Thanks in advance,
peartree423
harik2000
Division: C
State: CA

Post by harik2000 »

Anyone know what the boundary of the device is? Will it be 30cm x 30cm or will it be smaller? Based on the information, I know it seems as though it needs to be smaller in order to fit the target in the 70cm x 70cm box. Thanks
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ »

peartree423 wrote:Mr. Anderson, do you think you could give a basic overview of what the robots are to accomplish?

Thanks in advance,
peartree423
A 40cm diameter 5-ring archery target is placed centered 22cm north of the device square. Also, stacks of pennies 10 pennies each heads up are placed on the north, south, east, and west edges of the target and also in the southwest corner of the 70x70 area. Scoring is 5 for a bullseye, 1 for the outer circle, 4-3-2 in between. Pennies must be heads up, completely flat, and fully inside the circle for those points. No points if over or under another penny. If they're flat and tails up its double. 2 runs, 3 minutes each. Highest sum of run scores wins.
harik2000 wrote:Anyone know what the boundary of the device is? Will it be 30cm x 30cm or will it be smaller? Based on the information, I know it seems as though it needs to be smaller in order to fit the target in the 70cm x 70cm box. Thanks
The boundary has been changed to 25cm x 25cm probably to force most people to rebuild the robots, or maybe just to make having multiple arms more difficult.
Also it does seem like autonomous bots are really risky at lower levels of competition considering that most competitions don't post the approximate error in item placement beforehand.
Innovation =/= success
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Bazinga+ wrote:
peartree423 wrote:Mr. Anderson, do you think you could give a basic overview of what the robots are to accomplish?

Thanks in advance,
peartree423
A 40cm diameter 5-ring archery target is placed centered 22cm north of the device square. Also, stacks of pennies 10 pennies each heads up are placed on the north, south, east, and west edges of the target and also in the southwest corner of the 70x70 area. Scoring is 5 for a bullseye, 1 for the outer circle, 4-3-2 in between. Pennies must be heads up, completely flat, and fully inside the circle for those points. No points if over or under another penny. If they're flat and tails up its double. 2 runs, 3 minutes each. Highest sum of run scores wins.
harik2000 wrote:Anyone know what the boundary of the device is? Will it be 30cm x 30cm or will it be smaller? Based on the information, I know it seems as though it needs to be smaller in order to fit the target in the 70cm x 70cm box. Thanks
The boundary has been changed to 25cm x 25cm probably to force most people to rebuild the robots, or maybe just to make having multiple arms more difficult.
Also it does seem like autonomous bots are really risky at lower levels of competition considering that most competitions don't post the approximate error in item placement beforehand.
Is there a height restriction on the device dimensions?
Thanks
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
RJohnson
State: OH

Post by RJohnson »

Also, is the area for the robot still centered on the southern boundary? Thanks!
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

RJohnson wrote:Also, is the area for the robot still centered on the southern boundary? Thanks!
Not defined in the proposed rules. It's been noted and expect to see it added.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Other than the change in task, expect the same basic fundamentals. We don't rewrite more of the rules than we have to. There will be limits on robot size (different than last year) at the start, energy source limits, etc. The outer boundary isn't going to be very important as out of bounds is probably going away. Though the base of the robot still needs to stay in the robot square. The important playing field parameters will be the relation of the robot square (and its size) to the target and to the penny stacks.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

jander14indoor wrote:Other than the change in task, expect the same basic fundamentals. We don't rewrite more of the rules than we have to. There will be limits on robot size (different than last year) at the start, energy source limits, etc. The outer boundary isn't going to be very important as out of bounds is probably going away. Though the base of the robot still needs to stay in the robot square. The important playing field parameters will be the relation of the robot square (and its size) to the target and to the penny stacks.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Why the change in dimensions? its not so much problematic, but annoying for me to have to readjust my device to fit. I like the penny challenge. I feel pretty stumped right now as to how I am going to get that perfect score. WHat the battery change?
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ »

windu34 wrote: Is there a height restriction on the device dimensions?
Thanks
I think the hight limit is 1 meter.
windu34 wrote:
Why the change in dimensions? its not so much problematic, but annoying for me to have to readjust my device to fit. I like the penny challenge. I feel pretty stumped right now as to how I am going to get that perfect score. WHat the battery change?
The general trend has been to change some parameters and dimensions for tech events most years probably to avoid giving a significant disadvantage to teams that did not do the event the year prior or had whoever did it leave with the device, or just make it require about the same amount of work as the first year.
The only battery change is that Lead Acid batteries are not allowed (seems like common knowledge to me, but I guess some people decided to use them) and the rules clearly state that a computer/smartphone not connected to an outlet may be used to control the device.
Innovation =/= success
harik2000
State: CA

Post by harik2000 »

Hi guys, I have a few questions regarding the draft rules.

1) Maximum score is 12 in 1st ring & 38 in 2nd ring plus double points so it adds up to 12(10) + 38(8) = 424 points. Is this correct?

2) Do we start off with 4 points or 0 points because of the 4 original stacks?

3)Are points given if they are in between two targets? Do you get the lower points or no points?

4)How much do you guys expect the rules for the event to change on Sept 15? Because it looks pretty detailed.

In my opinion, this year is much harder than last year due to kits being nearly obsolete with picking up pennies and the amount of precision required to reach 424 points is insane.

Thanks,
Hari

Return to “Robot Arm C”